Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 06:05 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
In some states they require you to pass a safety course, or hunting safety test in order to purchase an firearm. I think California put this in place years ago, but maybe this should be required nationwide. There would be no registration just that one has passed a basic safety test. I'm a firearm owner I think most firearms should be legal, but having worked in a gun store a few folks that came in bought a firearm really had no idea how to safely handing it.
If California has a problem, California can pass their own state laws. Existing Federal law prohibits private sales across state lines and where it does permit buying a firearm in a state that isn't your home state it requires obeying the laws of both states, there's no "loophole" to be concerned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I think that any firearms safety presentation requires the handling of a fully functioning firearm. There is no need for it to be loaded by a student, but a key element in any firearm safety lesson is to approach every weapon as if it is loaded, and a person needs to see what a chambered round looks like and how to safely eject a round.
Doesn't have to be a live round with a fresh primer and powder. Safer to use movie-quality prop rounds indistinguishable from actual live ammo. If you really want to approximate the real experience and the slight risk of injury is acceptable, Simunitions SecuriBlank may be an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 PM

966 posts, read 1,347,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Since conservatives like to push "Common sense" so much
I'm surprised that they don't support "Common sense" when it comes to requiring a basic test to keep guns from crazy people.
Common sense cannot be regulated, it has to be taught and passed on by parents, something the liberals have tried to do away with.

It used to be fathers taught their sons gun safety, it used to be kids were taught right from wrong at home, they were taught to respect others and the property of others. What changed ? in the 50s, 60s and 70s, guns were in schools, in the cars and trucks in the parking lots, kids used to go hunting and target shooting after school and there were no mass shootings. But that was a time when taxes were low enough that a man could make enough to feed and raise a family.

Common sense, Don't touch a boiling pot, it is hot,

liberal, put a sign on the pot saying not to touch it

common sense, when it is hot, drink lots of water,

liberal, issue heat advisories and tell everyone to drink lots of water.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 PM

573 posts, read 586,371 times
No. It sounds like a solid idea until you realize this will just be a money grab as we will probably have to pay for it either ourselves our in tax dollars. Also every time I buy a gun, I shouldn't have to waste my time 'reproving' myself when I use a different store.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
No not nay more than other things really. its not like accidental death are the main problem; its intentional and that means it the human behind it. I can still remember when you could buy firearms thru the mail ;no anything. The government sold surplus military weapons and even supplied ammo to keep Americans a nation of rifleman. Its really the culture now days where so many are convince they have grievances regardless of hangout in life and they accumulate them.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Are tests required to exercise our other Constitutional rights?
Exactly. Where do these questions come from? To ask the question is a display of the lack of knowledge, understanding and appreciation for the US Constitution and a failure to grasp the basic meaning of a right. Before asking the question posed in the thread, perhaps imposing such a measure on the right of free speech is in order, thus eliminating questions like that in the first place. Helllllloooooo? It is a right, not a privilege , not something granted because you pass some test.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Absolutely. (in answer to the OP question)

Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
The CA tests are a joke and are dumbed down so that everyone can pass them. Useless and simply a money grab. I repeat, the gun tests we have now are useless and a waste of time and money.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:48 AM

772 posts, read 914,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
People have argued over the exact meaning for years. Yes, the interpretation that has been accepted is that every US citizen can own and bear arms....but it's not exactly working out now is it?

To keep the status quo about a law that involves a technology that has change greatly over the last two hundred years is mind boggling.

Now I suggest you do a little research on the term " militia " See how many times that term has been modified since the 2nd Amendment was written. Also " arms ". If the 2nd Amendment was so unchangeable why are certain " arms " ILLEGAL for you to own?
It's working out just great. 20,345,546 gun owners didn't kill anyone yesterday, ... .. or the day before.

How many car owners killed someone yesterday ? over the whole country, I bet at least 2.

Lets put more regulations on car owners while we are in there making the country safer.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 AM

772 posts, read 914,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Common sense cannot be regulated, it has to be taught and passed on by parents, something the liberals have tried to do away with.

It used to be fathers taught their sons gun safety, it used to be kids were taught right from wrong at home, they were taught to respect others and the property of others. What changed ? in the 50s, 60s and 70s, guns were in schools, in the cars and trucks in the parking lots, kids used to go hunting and target shooting after school and there were no mass shootings. But that was a time when taxes were low enough that a man could make enough to feed and raise a family.

Common sense, Don't touch a boiling pot, it is hot,

liberal, put a sign on the pot saying not to touch it

common sense, when it is hot, drink lots of water,

liberal, issue heat advisories and tell everyone to drink lots of water.

I agree 100% !!!!!!! we need more people like you speaking up !!

Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
It's working out just great. 20,345,546 gun owners didn't kill anyone yesterday, ... .. or the day before.

How many car owners killed someone yesterday ? over the whole country, I bet at least 2.

Lets put more regulations on car owners while we are in there making the country safer.
Comparing gun deaths in the US to other countries that have stricter gun laws will show it's isn't working out so well.

The argument about cars is deflection. There are regulations regarding cars and they have changed over the years...seatbelts weren't a requirement at one time, airbags etc.
Regulations regarding driving licenses also have evolved in many places to a graduated system. All these changes are done in the name of safety.

I've never understood the defence that people shouldn't try and fix one issue because another issue exists.
Are people and governments not capable of doing more than one thing at a time? Silly to think that they shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies