Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 02:45 AM

399 posts, read 549,582 times

Advertisements

So I guess Washington has this special law where businesses can't discriminate based on sexual orientation. I see. OK. Do other states have it too? I mean if they do then Christian bakers will be forced to bake their wedding cakes, supply their flowers and do whatever else for weddings that are against their faith - or pay fines and penalties. Is this fair?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:46 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,189,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
Can an actual attorney post on this? As far as I knew a business can refuse to serve anyone for any reason. has this changed?
A business cannot violate an anti-discrimination law, at least since 1964 when Maurce Bessinger's "Piggie Park" restaurant (still around, he died last year) was sued for attempting to discriminate against black patrons. He claimed his religious beliefs compelled him to oppose racial integration. The court held that while they believed Bessinger's beliefs were sincere, religious beliefs did not allow him to discriminate against black people.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure one would point out that if anti-discrimination law weren't enforceable, they wouldn't be passed or upheld by the courts, but they are.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:53 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,919,068 times
I would assume the fact she served them/him/her whatever before set a precedent of service. she has no case.

and im not all surprised this was in the south. that part of the south. Always causing issues since the civil war

Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 AM

174 posts, read 125,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Once again you are wrong. A policy of considering one's religion in hiring is a violation of federal law.
I am not obligated to such a law. I refuse and don't care. I run my business my way. If you don't like that then all you can do is not buy my product.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
She actually does not.
Sure she does. Any law that prohibits the free exercise of religion is null and void under the constitution. So there is no law that applies.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The Attorney General of Washington disagrees with you.
I don't care. I am also not in Washington. He is wrong if he thinks one must give up their constitutional right to their religion to be in business.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They should put up a big cross on the signs of the business. Then others can also choose not to patronize their business.. Show yourself to the world!!! Or maybe they would be afraid to LOSE business if they advertise their religous views? Again, don't BLINDSIDE your potential customers. Give them that choice to walk right on by your establishments.
Many do make it clear. I see the Christian sign of the fish every day on business'. If you walk into my business you will know right away that I am a Christian and where I stand on the homosexual issues. We print some bumper stickers as a sideline. I show anyone coming in applying for a job what we print and that usually weeds out the homosexuals. They don't want to print the marriage bumper stickers we sell.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes, she discriminated. Yes, she is wrong.

What if she posted a sign stating she does not want Blacks or Jews or Muslins, would that be okay?
Sure, that is her right. I proudly display my marriage and anti-Islamic terrorist material so anyone walking in knows where I stand. If they apply for a job I point out the will start off printing those. Got a cartoon of mohammed hanging up as well. I don't want those people working for me and make sure they don't apply. I have a right to display such things in my shop.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 AM

The only discrimination in this case was against the Christian. The bigoted judge and homosexuals are seeking out Christians to discriminate against them. We know that. We know they you people will force Christians to not work or earn a living just like the Nazi's did the Jews. Thats been foretold for thousands of years. We are willing to die for our faith. Bring it on.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 AM

6 posts, read 4,647 times
If they have a problem with providing flowers for a gay wedding, you'd think the gay couple would take their money somewhere their business was valued. To force someone to do something against their will in matters like this, usually doesn't yield good results for anyone involved. People have a right to observe their beliefs and keep their values in tact -- this goes for non-gays as well and that seems to be lost on the gay population in pushing their own agendas and pressing to incorporate ideology from the bible (marriage) while ignoring the rest of the biblical context (sodomy and gay lifestyle is a sin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies