Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hillary was right or wrong?
I lean left - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 32 23.88%
I lean left - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 33 24.63%
I lean right - I condemn Hillary's use of a private email account for official business 64 47.76%
I lean right - I defend Hillary's use of a private email account for officoal business 5 3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Clinton left the State Department on February 1, 2013. In 2011, President Obama had signed a memorandum directing the update of federal records management. But the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) didn’t issue the relevant guidance, declaring that email records of senior government officials are permanent federal records, until August 2013. Then, in September 2013, NARA issued guidance on personal email use.

Federal regulations went into effect in late November, 2014 when President Obama signed H.R. 1233, modernizing the Federal Records Act of 1950 to include electronic communications. It was signed two years after Clinton stepped down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
I wonder if people who are staunch republicans are remembering Bush doing something similar. Who knows. I'm pretty indepdent on most things

1) yes this is a bad thing. I don't think persons working for the government should be able to send emails using non-government servers (freedom of information act, etc)

2) the law was updated (after Hillary left office). So technically she didn't break the law, and in the future what happened shouldn't happen again. So it seems that the administration recognized the issue, and resolved it

3) it isn't a retroactive law. . Bush and Hillary both got off without issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Mrs. Clinton did not have a government email address during her four-year tenure at the State Department. Her aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time, as required by the Federal Records Act."

"Her expansive use of the private account was alarming to current and former National Archives and Records Administration officials and government watchdogs, who called it a serious breach.

β€œIt is very difficult to conceive of a scenario β€” short of nuclear winter β€” where an agency would be justified in allowing its cabinet-level head officer to solely use a private email communications channel for the conduct of government business,”

For four years nobody questioned her use of a personal email accoumt.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/03...?_r=0&referrer

Old 03-04-2015, 08:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I wonder if people who are staunch republicans are remembering Bush doing something similar. Who knows. I'm pretty indepdent on most things

1) yes this is a bad thing. I don't think persons working for the government should be able to send emails using non-government servers (freedom of information act, etc)

2) the law was updated (after Hillary left office). So technically she didn't break the law, and in the future what happened shouldn't happen again. So it seems that the administration recognized the issue, and resolved it

3) it isn't a retroactive law. . Bush and Hillary both got off without issue
Can you cite where bush used personal email account for government business

Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Can you cite where bush used personal email account for government business
Ummmm, so I'm assuming you have already forgotten about the huge fiasco surrounding gwb43.com? Not only did Bush, et.al use private email addresses, they had their own servers and private internet domain.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
No more Bushes and no more Clintons. After almost 30 years, we need somebody outside the ruling elites toadies we keep having forced on us. We're sick of the secrecy, the corruption, the selling out.
I'll add the Kennedys to the list as well. If I have to watch a Jeb vs Hilliary election im going postal on somebody. This is the U.S., not a monarchy.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Ummmm, so I'm assuming you have already forgotten about the huge fiasco surrounding gwb43.com? Not only did Bush, et.al use private email addresses, they had their own servers and private internet domain.
Never hEard of it do u have a link showing he used personal email for governments business

Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,395 times
Quote:
Clinton left the State Department on February 1, 2013. In 2011, President Obama had signed a memorandum directing the update of federal records management. But the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) didn’t issue the relevant guidance, declaring that email records of senior government officials are permanent federal records, until August 2013. Then, in September 2013, NARA issued guidance on personal email use.

Federal regulations went into effect in late November, 2014 when President Obama signed H.R. 1233, modernizing the Federal Records Act of 1950 to include electronic communications. It was signed two years after Clinton stepped down.
Um...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARA
Since 2009, NARA's regulations have stated that "Agencies that allow employees to send and receive official electronic mail messages using a system not operated by the agency must ensure that Federal records sent or received on such systems are preserved in the appropriate agency record keeping system."

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...0.2.25&idno=36

Old 03-04-2015, 09:02 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
I work on email systems for the last 20 years for major large corporations.
Here is my take.
1. The government is required for GOOD reason to have emails on a government maintained server.
2. The government has more firewalls in place and tracking in someone's private server at their residence.
3. While I do not know what system, OS and or other security was in place for this server I had concerns it was not protected by armed guards and probably very good security.
4. She works for the state department a high level of security is at risk with this job title.
5. If she created this server its likely she made it private to protect herself from the government and or she believes the government is not secure yet she is the government supporter. Which would be very telling. OBama's government? Over-reaching NSA etc. Does clinton not trust her own government, yet she wants to be president.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:04 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Here's what I don't understand. Clinton was open about using the personal email account and handed over the emails. Colin Powell also used a personal email account, has not handed over the emails, and not a peep to be heard about him. Why the double standards?

"Here's what I don't understand. Clinton was open about using the personal email account and handed over the emails."

Where did you come up with THIS junk?

posted earlier:

Mrs. Clinton did not have a government email address during her four-year tenure at the State Department. Her aides took no actions to have her personal emails preserved on department servers at the time, as required by the Federal Records Act.
It was only two months ago, in response to a new State Department effort to comply with federal record-keeping practices, that Mrs. Clinton’s advisers reviewed tens of thousands of pages of her personal emails and decided which ones to turn over to the State Department. All told, 55,000 pages of emails were given to the department. Mrs. Clinton stepped down from the secretary’s post in early 2013.
Her expansive use of the private account was alarming to current and former National Archives and Records Administration officials and government watchdogs, who called it a serious breach.

Hillary turned over NOTHING. her AIDES did AFTER GOING THROUGH THEM.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-04-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 09:04 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Hillary needs to call Al Gore and have him come out and declare "no controlling legal authority". She is toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies