Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 02:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I don't think your mother has to pay for your insurance until you are 26, you could take responsibility for that yourself. You also could skip buying insurance and elect to pay the fine/tax.
This, why don't you quit being a leach off your mom and buy your own insurance?

Also, my insurance premiums have gone from nearly $800 a month to $0 a month under Obamacare. That said, I have changed employers and my new employer offers an HSA insurance plan, which I LOVE!! They also give us 80% of our deductible in wellness points per year so I only have to pay about $400 of my deductible and then everything is covered for my entire family (of 4).

And FWIW, I don't qualify for subsidies nor do I receive an ACA healthcare plan, like I said above, I am on my employers plan. I'm happy that the ACA passed and kind of forced employers to be a bit more selective in choosing their health care benefits for employees. My employer used to do a more expensive HMO plan before switching to an HSA plan in the past 2 years. It was such a cost savings for them that one of their added perks is that none of the employees have to pay monthly premiums. It puts a lot more money into our pocket and into our family being that we usually only go to the doctor for annual checkups and now those are free under Obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:25 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Also, my insurance premiums have gone from nearly $800 a month to $0 a month under Obamacare. That said, I have changed employers and my new employer offers an HSA insurance plan, which I LOVE!! They also give us 80% of our deductible in wellness points per year so I only have to pay about $400 of my deductible and then everything is covered for my entire family (of 4).

And FWIW, I don't qualify for subsidies nor do I receive an ACA healthcare plan, like I said above, I am on my employers plan. I'm happy that the ACA passed and kind of forced employers to be a bit more selective in choosing their health care benefits for employees. My employer used to do a more expensive HMO plan before switching to an HSA plan in the past 2 years. It was such a cost savings for them that one of their added perks is that none of the employees have to pay monthly premiums. It puts a lot more money into our pocket and into our family being that we usually only go to the doctor for annual checkups and now those are free under Obamacare.
Leach, YOU are leaching off other Americans but you've justified that. Leech

Old 03-11-2015, 02:27 PM

191 posts, read 171,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
It's good for those with pre-existing conditions that are either debilitating or fatal, but it's not good for those who have already don't have money to pay for insurance(or they would have gotten it themselves.) whether they are generally healthy and or have no conditions that are fatal. I would have liked it more if people were not forced into getting it, and if it was actually affordable.
There are about 30 different exceptions that allow people out of having to buy insurance through the ACA.
I wouldn't think it would be that hard to get an exemption and then purchase six month or 364 day insurance through e-healthinsurance.com. The local radio station is constantly advertising for a health care sharing ministry which allow you to buy insurance which isn't as extensive as ACA and is cheaper.

Have you actually tried to buy insurance through the exchange? A 22 year old female making $30,000 a year would pay on average $158 per month. Plus it would include maternity coverage, although the deductible would be high. I don't think its excessive at all for a young woman. For single guys it is on the high side but not everyone is a single guy who isn't eligible for subsidies.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...-from-the-fee/

Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Your employees plan is part of your compinsation package. You are paying for the insurance. Your employer isn't running a charity handing out health care.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
The very reason I cannot stand Obamacare is because Americans are now forced to get health insurance that they can't afford to begin with. Employers will skimp out on working hours so they don't have to pay for my insurance. My mother has to pay for my insurance until I'm 26, and she's struggling financially as it is without having to pay $300 a month.

I don't think your mother is forced to pay for your insurance until you are 26.

You could :

Reimburse your mom, or

Buy your own catastrophic policy, and/or

Potentially qualify for low income subsidies, or

Do without and claim a hardship to avoid the penalty and hope you are not in an accident, a victim of a violent crime or acquire a nasty disease.

P.S. Just read that you are looking to buy a "fun" dog.
I am a dog lover, too. My dog runs me about $1000 a year in Vet fees, grooming and food.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 03-11-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 04:38 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't think your mother is forced to pay for your insurance until you are 26.

You could :

Reimburse your mom, or

Buy your own catastrophic policy, and/or

Potentially qualify for low income subsidies, or

Do without and claim a hardship to avoid the penalty and hope you are not in an accident, a victim of a violent crime or acquire a nasty disease.

P.S. Just read that you are looking to buy a "fun" dog.
I am a dog lover, too. My dog runs me about $1000 a year in Vet fees, grooming and food.
So the OP is about to buy a dog, but does not even offer to reimburse her mother for paying to keep her on her health insurance. And then she comes here and whines that it's the ACA that is forcing her mother to struggle. Has nothing to do with her not helping her mother out for HER insurance.

Here's an idea, tell your mom to drop you from her insurance and then you can take your chances if something happens to you. Maybe your new dog will take care of you.

I would say it's unbelievable, but it's actually pretty much par for the course here on C-D.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 03-11-2015 at 05:09 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 04:53 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,263 times
"Am I the only one who hates Obamacare?"

Uh, you do realize you're on Politics & Other Controversies, right? A LOT of users here don't approve of Obamacare.

- skbl17

Old 03-11-2015, 05:18 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Nope, I hate it too. I hate it for several reasons on top of the one's you stated.
one that really burns me up: I called a Doctor to schedule an appointment last year. The cost of the visit would be $179. So that's $179 plus the $200 a month I was paying for insurance so I don't get fined by our Nazi government. That's $379 just for that month one visit, not including the $200 a month I was paying the past 8 months. So i'm $1800 in the hole but still have to pay 100% of my visit and at a higher rate because I have insurance. However, if I didn't claim my insurance, or didn't have insurance, that same visit is $65.

Thank you big government. I surely couldn't have put that $200 a month in a savings account to pay for any doctor visit. Instead it goes to an insurance company where when I finally hit my $3000 deductible, they will so graciously pay 80% of my bill if it meets some strict criteria. Tell me again how this helps me?
That doesn't sound right. When you have a policy you pay the amount the insurer would pay, not the doctor's billed amount. If a doc gets $179 (that sounds pretty typical for a family practice visit), the insurer has negotiated rates in network with that doc of probably 1/3 to 1/2 of that. The negotiated rate is what you pay, not the full price. In many cases, I notice on my benefits statements that the insurer is paying much less than I am with my copay. I end up paying $50 bucks while they pay $30, for example. And, I pay $15,000 per year and get no subsidy for my family coverage.

More generally, you are asking the impossible when it comes to affordable coverage. The underlying care is simply too pricey for coverage to be affordable with an average income. Subsidies go up to those making over $90K in some instances, and as you point out, it still is not enough. Health care is 1/6 of the GDP of the country and, accordingly, it is going to require about 1/6 of our annual earnings to pay for it. Most can't afford that. Employer provided coverage is a great benefit that most people who have simply don't appreciate until it comes time to find their own.

The only way out of this mess is to do what the rest of the world does and institute some form of tax supported healthcare. Obamacare was a proposal from the right to keep that from happening as it likely means the end of private insurers and the profits they rake in.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
ACA has been good to those of us with pre-existing disease. We get no subsidies, but our premiums are lower through risk spreading and with more competition in AZ.
Your blindness to what it's done to people is legendary.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Quote:
The very reason I cannot stand Obamacare is because Americans are now forced to get health insurance that they can't afford to begin with. Employers will skimp out on working hours so they don't have to pay for my insurance. My mother has to pay for my insurance until I'm 26, and she's struggling financially as it is without having to pay $300 a month.

Guess what? I as an American do not have a choice of whether or not I can opt out of these things given to me. Instead of targeting Americans who are still struggling from a recovering economy, why not target healthcare companies who are ripping off insurance companies and bloating the bill even higher, costing them and their patients thousands of dollars more than their service is worth. How about they let the American people buy insurance when they can afford it? Their law is costing people more money than it needs to be. If I had a choice, I'd opt out of my employer's insurance so I get more hours, and more pay. I'd opt out of being under my parent's insurance so my parents don't have to suffer.

Why not instead target the lower class people who are struggling to get by? Maybe set a law that an employee who is paid up to 50% more than the state's minimum wage is entitled to health insurance benefits at no expense to them. So employers will have to either pay their workers more money so they can buy their own insurance, or buy their insurance for them.
I think is been a flop and has not delivered on price and services rendered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies