Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 10:18 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You think US should have ignored it assuming he was lying? It doesn't work that way with heads of states. The situation had to be corrected, and it has been corrected.
you again keep making it more than it is. Nothing was corrected. Nothing has happened.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:33 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
You think US should have ignored it assuming he was lying? It doesn't work that way with heads of states. The situation had to be corrected, and it has been corrected.
He's a mendacious politician on the campaign trail. It was not an official position of the state, it wasn't even a believable promise to the subset of his electorate with half a brain (should be familiar as an American these days). There was no compelling need to do anything. If we had kept out of it it wouldn't matter. What did lashing out at him achieve? Yay you got him to eat crow, which is just as credible as the original promise, and just as much official and binding on the Israeli government as his original comment; that is not at all. The only thing "achieved" was Obama bullying a politician he and you don't like, who will be just that much harder for him to work with in the future as a result.

You are again falsely confusing something you personally want to see in our foreign policy with things we need or even have a compelling interest to do.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesisxx View Post
Bibi didn't fold. He said he is open to an idea nothing more. The fact you keep trying to claim it is much more is laughable.

Polls also disagree with you about losing support. As said before Israeli's don't worry about if some Americans don't support them. All polls show the majority of Americans support Israel regardless of the current issue between Bibi and O. You say these things as if Israel is going to get on their knees and do what O say no matter what, if you think that then you don't know Israel too well.
He reversed his comments, which is what I expected.

I said nothing about Israel getting on their knees. Quit putting words in my mouth. We are talking about one person, Netanyahu, and he has already agreed to reverse his earlier campaign comments, so why are you all emotional about this?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-21-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post

You are again falsely confusing something you personally want to see in our foreign policy with things we need or even have a compelling interest to do.
What do I want to see in our foreign policy?

Old 03-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
He reversed his comments, which is what expected.

You still don't get it. He made a comment before and after elections. Neither comment means anything as he said this before. Why you put so much stock into comments is beyond me. He didn't do anything O hasn't been doing since his first election.

I said nothing about Israel getting on their knees. Quit putting words in my mouth. We are talking about one person, Netanyahu, and he has already agreed to reverse his earlier campaign comments, so why are you all emotional about this?
I never said you said anything about Israel getting on their knees. You read it wrong. Netanyahu is the PM. He didn't agreed to anything. He said he is open minded to the idea nothing more. Emotional? You're mistaken. I simply corrected you on the things you said.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
What do I want to see in our foreign policy?
Obama humiliating a foreign politician who you don't like. Which in the end achieved nothing except that, so awesome you've made Netanyahu even more likely to give the administration the finger on future asks for no actual gain. You don't humiliate someone for the sake of humiliating them unless it achieves something, and unless that something is worth the additional difficulty you will have working with them in the future. Of course, it's done anyway not because it's smart but because it feels good, like in this case.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Obama humiliating a foreign politician who you don't like.
I don't like him? What a bummer. I could have sworn I liked him. Wait a minute, I do like him.

Quote:
Which in the end achieved nothing except that, so awesome you've made Netanyahu even more likely to give the administration the finger on future asks for no actual gain.
Will he give the finger to America before, or after receiving the $3 billion dollar annual check from the American tax payer?

You seem very comfortable with Israel giving US the finger, but extremely sensitive about US saying anything about Israel. Why is that?

Quote:
You don't humiliate someone for the sake of humiliating them unless it achieves something, and unless that something is worth the additional difficulty you will have working with them in the future. Of course, it's done anyway not because it's smart but because it feels good, like in this case.
What makes you see it as a humiliation, and what makes you think it was done just for the hell of it? US MUST defend our interests and our policies. It is not optional. The policy in question has been official US policy for decades, so why do you think defending it is meaningless. Sometimes you need to be tough even with your allies, and even with your friends and children, otherwise you end up being taken advantage of, and even disrespected.

It takes more that this to humiliate a seasoned politician like Netanyahu. I think the whole thing went according to his plan. He made the comments on the campaign to get the votes, which worked, but he was never going to make it an official policy. He knew US would react, which is what happened, and now he has his excuse to walk away from the comment. It's a done deal. It's called political maneuvering. Bibi is one of the best in the world at it.

Israel knows how to deal with US, and every now and then they push the boundaries to see how far they can go without US barking. Reagan barked, GWH Bush barked, and Israel respected it. W Bush bullied them and they obeyed (which they regret). Obama barked, and Bibi respected it. With the current GOP Congress Israel knows there are no boundaries, which is actually kind of scary because we can get dragged into something we don't want to be a part of.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Will he give the finger to America before, or after receiving the $3 billion dollar annual check from the American tax payer?

You seem very comfortable with Israel giving US the finger, but extremely sensitive about US saying anything about Israel. Why is that?
You seem to be under the impression that just because Israel gets $3 billion from American that it means Israel should just say yes sir right away. Also remember Israel doesn't need that $3 billion at all and some law makers in Israel have even called for stopping it. It serves USA interest just like Israel interest. You seem to not mention how much American benefits from that very deal.

Quote:
Israel knows how to deal with US, and every now and then they push the boundaries to see how far they can go without US barking. Reagan barked, GWH Bush barked, and Israel respected it. W Bush bullied them and they obeyed (which they regret). Obama barked, and Bibi respected it. With the current GOP Congress Israel knows there are no boundaries, which is actually kind of scary because we can get dragged into something we don't want to be a part of.
Israel will do what is in their interest for their country at the end of the day regardless of what O say especially since O like to cater to enemies. Every president you named didn't get much because Israel kept doing the very thing they were told not to do despite them agreeing not to. You know like how you claimed Bush Sr got his way but didn't. O barks and barks. Bibi doesn't respect it which is why they hate each other in the first place. Bibi tells O whatever he wants to hear. American is never dragged into anything by Israel.

Last edited by Devon011; 03-21-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesisxx View Post
You seem to be under the impression that just because Israel gets $3 billion from American that it means Israel should just say yes sir right away.
Nope, never said that. The poster poster said Bibi will give the Unites States the middle finger, and I wondered if that will happen before, or after receiving the money.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-21-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I don't like him? What a bummer. I could have sworn I liked him. Wait a minute, I do like him.
In that case, I apologize for misunderstanding and misconstruing your views but am now incredibly confused, because there is no other reason I can think of to want the U.S. president to force another head of state to walk back an internal campaign-trail remark made for the sake of campaigning and likely a lie in the first place .

Quote:

He's less likely to respond favorably to future asks from the present administration.

I'm sensitive to the actions of the administration because they are our government. I don't really care about him giving the administration the finger* because from what I can see, it's the administration narrowly, and not the US as a country, which he is responding unfavorably to (although I think it's stupid in his part same as what Obama did was stupid). We can't control what foreigners do, but we can ourselves and this is just shooting ourselves in the foot for no reason I can see other than Obama feeling good about bullying someone he dislikes.

*Frankly our present administration hasn't earned respect (in fact they've frittered away the amount that naturally comes with the office) domestically or internationally, so if a foreign leader narrowly refuses to comply with the administration without insulting or harming the US as a nation I don't really care.

Quote:
What makes you see it as a humiliation, and what makes you think it was done just for the hell of it? US MUST defend our interests and our policies. It is not optional. The policy in question has been official US policy for decades, so why do you think defending it is meaningless. Sometimes you need to be tough even with your allies, and even with your friends and children, otherwise you end up being taken advantage of, and even disrespected.

It takes more that this to humiliate a seasoned politician like Netanyahu. I think the whole thing went according to his plan. He made the comments on the campaign to get the votes, which worked, but he was never going to make it an official policy. He knew US would react, which is what happened, and now he has his excuse to walk away from the comment. It's a done deal. It's called political maneuvering. Bibi is one of the best in the world at it.

Politician in smaller, weaker country forced to eat his campaign words by a stronger, bigger nation mostly because they can? Yeah I think that's humiliating. I don't think this was some 3rd dimensional chess on Netanyahu's part: he was desperate and made a stupid move while panicking about the polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies