Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
We are talking about BAKERIES, not CHURCHES. I understand it's hard to tell the difference between a business and a church sometimes, so to make it easier we are discussing the one that pays taxes.
In addition to businesses and churches are things called 'individuals,' 'a person,' 'people.' Those things have beliefs, whether religion-based or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Doesn't matter. The First Amendment doesn't restrict religious freedom and the exercise of such to only churches.
Do you believe ALL religious practices are unlimited by laws?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
In addition to businesses and churches are things called 'individuals,' 'a person,' 'people.' Those things have beliefs, whether religion-based or not.
True, no one is telling a person they have to do anything at all. The issue is when a person chooses to open a business and then decides that some of the laws regarding operating a business don't apply to them.

If I choose to get a drivers license I can not violate the laws regarding driving, no matter what my religious beliefs. I have to follow the same laws as everyone else.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:42 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
True, no one is telling a person they have to do anything at all. The issue is when a person chooses to open a business and then decides that some of the laws regarding operating a business don't apply to them.

If I choose to get a drivers license I can not violate the laws regarding driving, no matter what my religious beliefs. I have to follow the same laws as everyone else.
The pizza shop owner in Indiana violated no laws by stating it is their policy to refuse to cater homosexual weddings. And she also would not be in violation of any laws if she ever actually did refuse to cater pizza to a homosexual wedding.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Do you believe ALL religious practices are unlimited by laws?
That's a question to be answered by SCOTUS. They've already ruled that Hobby Lobby doesn't have to provide contraceptives/abortifacients because it violates the owner's religion.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The pizza shop owner in Indiana violated no laws by stating it is their policy to refuse to cater homosexual weddings. And she also would not be in violation of any laws if she ever actually did refuse to cater pizza to a homosexual wedding.
Nope, and she has not been charged with anything. The bakeries, florists, and photographers that have violated the laws of their states have been prosecuted by the state.
The pizza place is just having to deal with other peoples freedom of speech. The threats should be prosecuted since that is illegal. The others are just voicing their opinion of what the pizza shop owners said.

They should be happy, in a week they made more than a pizza joint in a tiny town would make in 10 years.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's a question to be answered by SCOTUS. They've already ruled that Hobby Lobby doesn't have to provide contraceptives/abortifacients because it violates the owner's religion.
You are the one screaming about "freedom of religion" I asked if YOU believe that the first should trump generally applicable laws.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Nope, and she has not been charged with anything. The bakeries, florists, and photographers that have violated the laws of their states have been prosecuted by the state.
The pizza place is just having to deal with other peoples freedom of speech. The threats should be prosecuted since that is illegal. The others are just voicing their opinion of what the pizza shop owners said.

They should be happy, in a week they made more than a pizza joint in a tiny town would make in 10 years.
Shouldn't that give you a clue that the general public is sick of the gay guerilla activists' bullying tactics?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
You are the one screaming about "freedom of religion" I asked if YOU believe that the first should trump generally applicable laws.
Yes, specifically because of what the First Amendment says:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

If you're unhappy about that, perhaps you should focus your energy on having the First Amendment repealed.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:

Your position is when a person opens a business they lose all the constitutional protection to exercise their religion as to how they operate the business, at least with respect to anti-discrimination laws.

The issue is where the line is drawn. You apparently want the line drawn at, a business is a business and no accommodation to religious beliefs should be allowed. imo, that's as extreme as the people who want businesses to have 100% leeway to do whatever they darn please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies