Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:23 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,141,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Then address the issue across the country. It's certainly not limited to Seattle at all.

Animated Infographic: Watch As America's Stadiums Pile Up On The Backs Of Taxpayers Through The Years
Oh, I agree. It's not just a Seattle thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So what? You post more complaints about Seattle on POC than any other poster posts about any other city. Clearly you are unhappy, so why don't you move to a metro more to your liking? Seattle is doing just fine.

Seattle is nation's fifth-fastest growing city, says Forbes - Puget Sound Business Journal
Ah yes, love it or leave it. Quite possibly the lamest debating tactic, and poorest substitute for an argument in history.

Don't like slavery in 1850 Mississippi, move to Boston. Don't like the censorship in Boston, move to San Fran. Don't like the discrimination against Chinese, move yet again.

You can spend the rest of your life moving from one place to another if you wish; my preference is to settle disputes via facts and logic.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ah yes, love it or leave it. Quite possibly the lamest debating tactic, and poorest substitute for an argument in history.

Don't like slavery in 1850 Mississippi, move to Boston. Don't like the censorship in Boston, move to San Fran. Don't like the discrimination against Chinese, move yet again.

You can spend the rest of your life moving from one place to another if you wish; my preference is to settle disputes via facts and logic.
The problem is when it comes to sports, sports fans will always trump anything you are hoping to do. People would have been up in arms in Washington if the Seahawks tried to move.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:10 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The problem is when it comes to sports, sports fans will always trump anything you are hoping to do. People would have been up in arms in Washington if the Seahawks tried to move.
Well CenturyLink was built because Paul Allen threatened to move.

Safeco was built because Nintendo threatened to move.

The Sonics did move because of lack of traction on the Key Arena.

If city/county/state governments were not prepared act under threat, then stadiums would not be using taxpayer funded stadiums (rightly or wrongly). It also removes the threat risk, because if a team builds a stadium in a location, then they can't just relocate without building another stadium. Right now many sports teams are just tenants with no real ties to a city and can easily move, which is a bad thing for people funding the construction of these multi million and billion dollar stadiums.

I think that's the issue I have with taxpayer funding of specific grounds built for professional sports, it gives a stick to those professional sports teams to beat the local government with to keep that team in those grounds.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Safeco was built because Nintendo threatened to move.

The Sonics did move because of lack of traction on the Key Arena.

If city/county/state governments were not prepared act under threat, then stadiums would not be using taxpayer funded stadiums (rightly or wrongly). It also removes the threat risk, because if a team builds a stadium in a location, then they can't just relocate without building another stadium. Right now many sports teams are just tenants with no real ties to a city and can easily move, which is a bad thing for people funding the construction of these multi million and billion dollar stadiums.

I think that's the issue I have with taxpayer funding of specific grounds built for professional sports, it gives a stick to those professional sports teams to beat the local government with to keep that team in those grounds.
I completely agree, unfortunately sports fans often disagree when it comes to the teams they support. Teams should be owning and building their own stadiums, but we all know it doesn't work that way for various reason.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We'll never know, Frank, but I suspect if built privately, they would be dumps. No more stylish than bingo halls. I would not want that in a downtown I want to attract major corps in.
Stadiums don't attract corporations (unless they are vendors related to sports).

Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,705 times
Quote:
Paul Allen did no such thing. How the Seahawks were saved from California’s clutches | The Seattle Times

Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Gungnir, 22.5 mill was just MLB. Add the NFL, add concerts, add nearby restaurant and bar taxes, add hotel taxes, etc. Add NCAA games, tournaments, etc. And good luck attracting major corps w/o nearby entertainment options for customers.

Nashville ended up relocating > 2 dozen F1000 hqs and/or regional hqs, post Predators, Post Titans coming to town. Do those additional taxes count?
It costs more than $1billion to build these stadiums. No stadium today is home to both MLB and NFL. An NFL stadium gets 8 home games per year, plus a playoff game or two (maybe). If it is used for other football teams - they don't sell out (like high school playoffs with much cheaper tickets).

Your math doesn't come remotely close to paying for or justifying a stadium paid for by taxpayers. They borrow money to build them - usually via bonds. Those are typically repaid with property taxes. Those taxpayers get nothing - maybe 30,000 locals will actually attend a game in these stadiums.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:06 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
You need to read what you post

Quote:
Allen had agreed to buy the Seahawks from disgruntled owner Ken Behring, but the deal hinged on a make-or-break piece: Allen wouldn’t buy the team unless the public voted in favor of a new stadium later that month.
Behring had already moved the team to California, Allen if he did not get the vote for a new stadium would not buy the Seahawks, thus they would have been in California.

How is that not a threat? It's a polite threat, but it's basically stating that without public funding he would permit the situation, as it was, to continue.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
You need to read what you post

Behring had already moved the team to California, Allen if he did not get the vote for a new stadium would not buy the Seahawks, thus they would have been in California.

How is that not a threat? It's a polite threat, but it's basically stating that without public funding he would permit the situation, as it was, to continue.
Spot on, and I doubt that you will get an answer back. I knew a bunch of Seahawks players at the time through my job, and they all longed to go to SoCal's sun, babes, and beaches. They were p***ed when the NFL ordered the team back to Seattle..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies