Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 03:03 PM

998 posts, read 665,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I started this thread 4 1/2 hours ago and their support has doubled since then.

In a total time of 22 hours, 8411 donors have given $236,916.

What's interesting in the way the two sides voice their opinion.

One side seeks to destroy the business as they have received death threats and people who suggest burning down their business - and of course the continuous name calling and intimidation.

The other side voices their opinion more quietly, but with their wallets.
Spot on. That's the biggest difference between liberals and conservatives, IMO. Liberals like to get upset and yell, scream, and threaten everyone else. Conservatives see a problem, roll up their sleeves and move to fix it. Whether it be with their time or money. This is a perfect example of it in action.

It's like when I go out to eat with my liberal friends. They love to tell me how business owners need to "step up their game" and pay their help $20 an hour to bake a pizza, but when it comes time to put down a tip, they've always forgotten their wallet or will put down 50 cents. Meanwhile, my conservative friends think it should be up to the business and free market to dictate what labor is worth, but are happy to leave a tip of 20% or more for good service.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:05 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
So, I'm lying when I quote the Supreme Court and when I report on cases in which bakers have been found in violation of the law when they refuse to sell wedding cakes to gay couples?
Which SCOTUS case addressed bakers refusing to sell wedding cakes to gay couples because it violated their First Amendment right to exercise their religion?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:08 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Commerce Clause has noting to do with it.

As for "participatory role," if one is forced to photograph a wedding, they are indeed participating. If someone who bakes and decorates custom cakes for a wedding, they are indeed playing a participatory role in that event. A simple "off the shelf" cake would not be the same. But accepting an order to do a custom design is another matter, as you are working specifically at the request of that client and creating a design to their specifications. That is about as participatory as it gets.

I wouldn't do it.
I do not agree with everything you said. I do agree that a photographer of the actual wedding ceremony is actively participating. How can they not be? The act of photographing, or videotaping each step of the wedding ceremony is an intimate part of the wedding, capturing every intimate detail, from walking down the isle, to the exchange of vows, to the first kiss, and or breaking the glass.

The photographer is there at the wedding, and is involved in the after wedding photos as well. The photographer has a very close and personal relationship with the wedding party from start to finish.

However, the wedding is already over, the after wedding photo shoot is over, and then the wedding party and guests retire to a completely different location for the reception. The cake cutting and eating of the cake is not religious in nature, neither is eating the prime rib dinner. May as well refuse to sell plates and forks because they'll be used to eat the gay cake.

What you are objecting to is the symbolic nature of the cake, truly symbolism over substance. The substance - the wedding is already over and done with. The symbol - the cake is one of many celebratory acts after a wedding has taken place.

Going on a honeymoon is also part of the celebration. Can an airline company refuse to sell airline tickets to Tahiti, because they would be taking part in the marriage celebration of the gay newlywed couple's honeymoon to Tahiti?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:09 PM

157 posts, read 96,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They might get hit with taxes since it may be considered a gift.
Gift tax is paid by the person who gives the gift, and the first $14,000 of gifts one gives in a year are exempt.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:09 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Spot on. That's the biggest difference between liberals and conservatives, IMO. Liberals like to get upset and yell, scream, and threaten everyone else. Conservatives see a problem, roll up their sleeves and move to fix it. Whether it be with their time or money. This is a perfect example of it in action.

It's like when I go out to eat with my liberal friends. They love to tell me how business owners need to "step up their game" and pay their help $20 an hour to bake a pizza, but when it comes time to put down a tip, they've always forgotten their wallet or will put down 50 cents. Meanwhile, my conservative friends think it should be up to the business and free market to dictate what labor is worth, but are happy to leave a tip of 20% or more for good service.
Exactly! And I always tip 20% or more because I've done that job myself to put myself through college, and I know how hard the servers are working.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:10 PM

157 posts, read 96,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They didn't set up the account. A producer for the blaze did.
So where is the money going to go?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Which SCOTUS case addressed bakers refusing to sell wedding cakes to gay couples because it violated their First Amendment right to exercise their religion?
If you were a baker and I ordered cookies, would that be okay? What if i let slip out the they were "gay wedding cookies?" Now is it permissible for you to refuse to sell them to me? I hope people can see how silly this cake issue is.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:14 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Fine, take the word pork out of the question and then answer it without semantic deflection.
This is where you guys get it wrong every time. If I stroll into a Ford dealership and ask to purchase a Vespa motorscooter it's pretty likely I'm going to walk away disappointed. That's on me. If I walk into a pizza parlor and ask to purchase a motorscooter again, chances are once again I'll disappointed, however if I ask for a slice of pizza the probability is exceptionally good I'll get a slice. If I ask the pizza parlor if they will sell me 10 pizza's to cater an event it's a yes or no question. Period.

Either you're in the pizza (or motor scooter, or whatever) business or you're not. Either you cater or you don't. The moment you start to believe there's room for mitigating factors in the transaction, if in fact the transaction is legal and within the scope of services offered, you crossed the line. If that doesn't jive with the baggage you carry, find something else to do or find somewhere else to do it. Trust me, your snowflake isn't that special...

Old 04-02-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly! And I always tip 20% or more because I've done that job myself to put myself through college, and I know how hard the servers are working.
I always have too.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
So, I'm lying when I quote the Supreme Court and when I report on cases in which bakers have been found in violation of the law when they refuse to sell wedding cakes to gay couples?
I must have missed your link concerning the US Supreme Court speaking to the issue of cakes for homosexual "weddings". Other courts yes. Not the US Supreme Court.

Sorry to be a pain, but where is that link again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies