Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 03:29 PM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
The 1st Amendment doesn't give you an out from, or a "religion made me do it" defense to, neutral laws of general applicability.
Actually, it does when less burdensome alternatives are readily available.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
Why would it be taxed? When you receive a gift, it's non-taxable income.
Nothin' with the IRS is that easy

Old 04-02-2015, 03:32 PM

157 posts, read 96,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it does when less burdensome alternatives are readily available.
No it doesn't.

Why do you think that it does???

Old 04-02-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Nothin' with the IRS is that easy
The gift tax is pretty straight forward. The person giving the gift pays the tax on it.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:43 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
This is where you guys get it wrong every time. If I stroll into a Ford dealership and ask to purchase a Vespa motorscooter it's pretty likely I'm going to walk away disappointed. That's on me. If I walk into a pizza parlor and ask to purchase a motorscooter again, chances are once again I'll disappointed, however if I ask for a slice of pizza the probability is exceptionally good I'll get a slice. If I ask the pizza parlor if they will sell me 10 pizza's to cater an event it's a yes or no question. Period.

Either you're in the pizza (or motor scooter, or whatever) business or you're not. Either you cater or you don't. The moment you start to believe there's room for mitigating factors in the transaction, if in fact the transaction is legal and within the scope of services offered, you crossed the line. If that doesn't jive with the baggage you carry, find something else to do or find somewhere else to do it. Trust me, your snowflake isn't that special...

Neither is yours, so go find a gay friendly pizzaria.......problem solved.

The point is that gay activists and the left in general seem to reserve their hatered for Christians while not only giving a pass to Muslims, but giving them actual tacit support when Muslim culture is far more intolerant of homosexual lifestyles.

Christians don't want to make you a pizza for your gay wedding.....

Muslims catch someone having gay sex and they'll cut off an appendage and bake it into a pizza.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post

The point is that gay activists and the left in general seem to reserve their hatered for Christians while not only giving a pass to Muslims, but giving them actual tacit support when Muslim culture is far more intolerant of homosexual lifestyles.

Muslims catch someone having gay sex and they'll cut off an appendage and bake it into a pizza.
Trust me, whenever a Muslim or a Muslim-owned business here in the US refuses to serve a gay person in violation of the law, the gay activists will (and have) reacted exactly the same as when a Christian-owned business unlawfully discriminates against a gay person.

It's just that it doesn't happen that much since there are very few Muslims in the US, and the ones we have tend to clump together and associate mostly among themselves. There have been a few cases of Muslim cab drivers refusing gay people rides, and they absolutely felt the wrath of gay activists and the law.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
No it doesn't.

Why do you think that it does???
Because the lack of a less burdensome method is one of the tests in proving compelling reason. The gay couple can merely place their wedding cake order at another baker who has no religious objection, so that test fails.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's why the gay marriage agenda gets so much push-back. People see thru a lot of the mean and nasty way the proponents of gay marriage go about savaging the businesses and personal lives of the people they disagree with.

People who would otherwise support gay marriage, speak out against it, or they remain silent and refuse to openly support it.
Yep. Years ago I didn't have a problem with gay marriage. But now, if it was put to a public referendum in my state, I would vote against it. And I'm always glad to see setbacks for it. Just as a thumb in the eye of the people whom you're talking about.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
The gift tax is pretty straight forward. The person giving the gift pays the tax on it.
With all due respect (really, I'm not just trying to poke the bear) nothing is pretty straight forward when it come to tax law. Excellent point about the givers tax burden. Hopefully some intern at the IRS is already plugging in GoFundMe (or whatever it's called) to the software checking returns. Price of democracy, right?

Be well.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post

Now you're just being inflammatory.
Peace... out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies