Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Good for them if they are turning a quick buck on this story.

But they could have simply said we have never refused anyone catering. If they have financial harm because of their stated beliefs, then that is their fault for opening their mouths.

People who own businesses have to think about public opinion when they speak.
People need to respect others religious views, too. Why force someone to do something they aren't comfortable with?

In this case, the man said they never catered anything. But he was asked if he would do it by some reporter, and he said no, he wouldn't.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,872 times
Hey small town midwest... Most of us agree with you but did you ever get the memo that anything negative you say about homosexuals will lead you one step closer to being destroyed? A subset of their community's unstable and mentally ill will see to it that it happens.

If you did I admire your courage.

Someone needs to take it to the next step and stand up for their business against this other 1%. Hint: Indiana is an open carry state. Send these fine folks a message.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - Story About First Business to ‘Publicly Vow to Reject Gay Weddings’ Was Fabricated Out of Nothing

ABC-57 reporter Alyssa Marino’s editor sends her on a half-hour drive southwest of their South Bend studio, to the small town of Walkerton (Pop. ~2,300). According to Alyssa’s own account on Twitter, she “just walked into their shop [Memories Pizza] and asked how they feel” about Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Owner Crystal O’Connor says she’s in favor of it, noting that while anyone can eat in her family restaurant, if the business were asked to cater a gay wedding, they would not do it. It conflicts with their biblical beliefs. Alyssa’s tweet mentions that the O’Connors have “never been asked to cater a same-sex wedding.”

What we have here is — as we called in journalism school jargon — “no story.” Nothing happened. Nothing was about to happen.

In other words, Memories Pizza didn’t blast out a news release. They didn’t contact the media, nor make a stink on Twitter or Facebook. They didn’t even post a sign in the window rejecting gay-wedding catering jobs. They merely answered questions from a novice reporter who strolled into their restaurant one day – who was sent on a mission by an irresponsible news organization.

At that point, the story was about the social media backlash.

So in other words, nobody was ever rejected. The business did not send out a press release. They simply accommodated a press person and this is what they get. This is why people have problems with major media.

-----------------------------------

#2 - Tons of people are donating money in support of the Indiana pizza place that won't deliver pizzas to gay weddings

But lots of people stand in support of Memories Pizza — a GoFundMe page set up for the O'Connor's business has raised a staggering $56,000 in the last 18 hours, and the couple is being applauded for their "stand for faith."

"I wish we had more to give. We can't let a small group of militant haters determine the morality of the nation. Thank you for standing up, I'm sorry it cost you so dearly," a man named Dan Neuman commented on the GoFundMe page. He donated $10.

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. In the end it's how you lived your life. In the end it's all about Christ," donor Stephanie Dickerson wrote along with a $15 donation.

Currently over 4,400 people have donated almost $130,000 to the business.
Since Indiana doesn't yet have a statewide law banning discrimination against gays, the business might have the Legal right to withhold services before this new law even passed.

Too bad the woman is too naïve to know what the reporter was doing.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
They have never catered anything, he said. He was asked about it only, and he said he wouldn't do it. That's all, and that started a firestorm! Ridiculous!
It's why the gay marriage agenda gets so much push-back. People see thru a lot of the mean and nasty way the proponents of gay marriage go about savaging the businesses and personal lives of the people they disagree with.

People who would otherwise support gay marriage, speak out against it, or they remain silent and refuse to openly support it.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
They have never catered anything, he said. He was asked about it only, and he said he wouldn't do it. That's all, and that started a firestorm! Ridiculous!
I believe the phrase "Drive By Media" was coined exactly from instances like this.

This is like drive by shootings were people drive through and shoot up a bunch of people and then drive away never to be seen again while leaving behind a bunch of damage and chaos in that community.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
People need to respect others religious views, too. Why force someone to do something they aren't comfortable with?

In this case, the man said they never catered anything. But he was asked if he would do it by some reporter, and he said no, he wouldn't.
Also stated he would serve gays who just came into the business like everyone else and ordered a pizza.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
The problem I see with some gay marriage supporters is they want to subvert the rights of people to believe as they wish.They want constitutional rights and will subvert the rights of others to believe different

Last edited by wjtwet; 04-02-2015 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 10:45 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
They are closing their doors due to the backlash they received following their comments.

Indiana Pizzeria That Refused To Cater Gay Weddings Forced To Close (VIDEO)

It's hard to believe that in this day and age, anyone could be so naive as to not think there would be repercussions to the kind of comments they made.
No, what's hard to believe is the utter evil of people who would attack this family for something like this, and ruin his business. People need to be tolerant of the religious views of others. Besides, the man said they have never catered anything. They don't do it. He was only asked if he would do it if asked. He said "no" and all these people come unglued and mount an assault!

This shows the kind of people they are. Just plain evil!

Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM

Donors number over 5,000 now with almost $145,000 given. This is how the Lord can work through others when you stand with Him.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:

I can respect your right to have any views, while disagreeing with those views. I can even voice my opinion of your views. I can decide that your views are not something I want to associate with and not patronize your business.

No one forced him to do anything. The shop has never even been ASKED to cater a wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies