Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
Anyone threatening violence or vandalism is beyond intolerant - they're a criminal and should be prosecuted as such.

But the pizza shop owners are intolerant homophobes. Those voicing disapproval with the pizza shop owners' discriminatory stance - including calling for boycott - are not intolerant, unless you want to define intolerance of the intolerant as intolerance.
calling for a boycott based on future events that haven't happened is good strategy in your book?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 AM

9,141 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
Anyone threatening violence or vandalism is beyond intolerant - they're a criminal and should be prosecuted as such.

But the pizza shop owners are intolerant homophobes. Those voicing disapproval with the pizza shop owners' discriminatory stance - including calling for boycott - are not intolerant, unless you want to define intolerance of the intolerant as intolerance.

Did they ever refuse service to anyone?
Just who have they discriminated against?

Was The Obama accused of being a homophobe when
he stated that he opposed same sex marriage?
How 'bout Bill Clinton?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:36 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
This entire thing is part Orwellian, part Phillip K Dick dystopian.

Half the responses in this thread are of the form "well, the small town business needs to parse statements as carefully as a politician on the campaign trail because the least error in nuance or subtlety could send the wrong message to an angry mob that is looking for any possible way to take a message the wrong way." There's the Orwellian thought-crime part.

And the story itself is creating a future-crime out of whole cloth based on an answer to a hypothetical future situation, like Minority Report, with some Salem witch trial methodology baked in as well. Had these pizzeria owners answered "no comment" or something like "I won't speculate on hypothetical events" or even lied and said "sure, we'd cater a gay wedding no problem" the reporter seeking to invent the future crime from whole cloth would have pursued further antagonism, poking the bear until the proper guilty-in-the-future-equals-guilty-now lynch mob justification reveals itself. Answer with the approved liberal/progressive answer, within the approved liberal/progressive time frame, with the approved liberal/progressive facial expressions, wording, enthusiasm, etc...and maybe we drop our future crime prosecution efforts. If however, we still need you to be guilty, we'll submerge you in water and if you sink to the bottom and drown, we'll know we were wrong and you were innocent, m'kay?

The point being, the minute that reporter chose that pizzeria, the pizzeria was fooked. We are now holding single question trials-by-media, and you either convince us of your fealty to our program, or you go out of business and maybe to jail. Actions once dictated a crime, now simply having the wrong attitude about hypothetical scenarios does as well.

Good for them with the crowd funding thing, but the story even being a story is frightening, chilling and disturbing on multiple levels, especially for anyone like me who still has my quaint, old time notions of freedom and liberty and all that old time Bill of Rights kind of thinking.
i would like to know how many businesses the reporter walked into before finding the guilty... or if directed by an editor how did the editor pick this particular pizza shop?

1,075 posts, read 1,773,178 times
I want to know - where are all of these fabulous gay weddings that are being catered by small town pizza and ice cream shops? And who knew that conservative Christians make the best wedding photographers and cake decorators! I have learned so much from this debate.

2,395 posts, read 3,014,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - Story About First Business to ‘Publicly Vow to Reject Gay Weddings’ Was Fabricated Out of Nothing

ABC-57 reporter Alyssa Marino’s editor sends her on a half-hour drive southwest of their South Bend studio, to the small town of Walkerton (Pop. ~2,300). According to Alyssa’s own account on Twitter, she “just walked into their shop [Memories Pizza] and asked how they feel” about Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Owner Crystal O’Connor says she’s in favor of it, noting that while anyone can eat in her family restaurant, if the business were asked to cater a gay wedding, they would not do it. It conflicts with their biblical beliefs. Alyssa’s tweet mentions that the O’Connors have “never been asked to cater a same-sex wedding.”

What we have here is — as we called in journalism school jargon — “no story.” Nothing happened. Nothing was about to happen.

In other words, Memories Pizza didn’t blast out a news release. They didn’t contact the media, nor make a stink on Twitter or Facebook. They didn’t even post a sign in the window rejecting gay-wedding catering jobs. They merely answered questions from a novice reporter who strolled into their restaurant one day – who was sent on a mission by an irresponsible news organization.

At that point, the story was about the social media backlash.

So in other words, nobody was ever rejected. The business did not send out a press release. They simply accommodated a press person and this is what they get. This is why people have problems with major media.
I have no proof, but I strongly suspect that this specific pizza restaurant was targeted by the news organization. I watched clips from the interview by the reporter on the news this morning, and it seemed the restaurant was decorated with a number of religious icons and statements. I'd' guess that is why the reporter was directed to that establishment.

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Three things.

1. Just like with businesses damaged in Ferguson, it has been Conservative groups that gotten together and helped out.

2. Liberals and the media are the intolerant hateful ones. If they could, they would destroy anyone who dares say they don't support gay marriage. They thrive and get off on ruining peoples lives.

3. Note that this pizza story went national in hours. Yet guess what hadnt? The high school gay coach who tweeted they wanted to burn down the pizza place. The death threats. The media is biased and corrupt. If a tea party person tweeted they wanted to burn down a gay owned business, it'd be national within minutes

Old 04-02-2015, 11:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I want to know - where are all of these fabulous gay weddings that are being catered by small town pizza and ice cream shops? And who knew that conservative Christians make the best wedding photographers and cake decorators! I have learned so much from this debate.
It's a form of doctor shopping, for gay activists.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think by pridefully advertising her desire to discriminate should the opportunity arise and hiding behind her religion as a justification.
She did no such thing. At no point in the past had the pizzeria ever discriminated against anyone, and a reporter went to the pizzeria to ask if they support the RFRA in Indiana (which passed with 71% majority in the Indiana government, meaning support would be the majority position if what representatives and Senators does reflects the population).

The reporter was sent out to create the story from whole cloth. O'Connor had done nothing except answer a question asked of her. That's it. All the publicity occurred because the news station that engineered the ex nihilo hatchet job on the pizzeria pursued it, inflated it, made it go viral, etc. The woman was asked a question about her belief/opinion in her own story and she was then remade into an arch villain in social media.

She didn't advertise a single freaking thing. She answered a single question asked by a customer in her pizzeria.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
I don't agree with anyone who threatens violence, but I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone on the right would oppose what's happening here. How many times have we heard that a business owner should be allowed to refuse service to anyone, and if people don't like it, they are free to boycott the business. Well, you got your wish. Why aren't you happy?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Dear everyone jjrose opposes people expressing their religious beliefs.

total is now 174,944.00
Please read it again.

You can say or believe whatever your heart desires.

I can also say or believe whatever my heart desires.

We don't have to agree. I can speak out against what you say or believe, and you can speak out against what I say or believe.

The shop spoke about their beliefs, and people are disagreeing and speaking out against their beliefs.
Those issuing threats are wrong, but there are wrong people all over the spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies