Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You and I must have watched different interviews.

I don't think it was so much the "act of answering a single questions" so much as the answer she gave.

Saying you will discriminate against people makes you a villain in the minds of many. I don't have much sympathy for her.
The interview happened out of nowhere. The pizzeria was "suspected" of having the controversial views needed to fuel hysterics because of religious knick-knacks in the store, so a reporter was sent out to create the controversy, thus the subsequent interview and story ex nihilo.

Will I serve anyone in my pizzeria, gay or otherwise? Sure.
Would I participate in a gay wedding, which goes completely against my religious beliefs? Nope.
Have I ever been asked to participate in a gay wedding? Nope.
Would any gay couple walk into my store with religious symbols sprinkled generously about and ever ask me to participate in their wedding, knowing pretty well ahead of time that I would politely decline? Nope.
Is the only reason I am being asked these questions is so a hysterical lynch mob can have someone to string up? Yep.

They were targeted for a hatchet job by rent seeking sensationalists. Period. That reporter never sets foot in that pizzeria, under direct orders to go after them, and nobody outside that town even knows that place exists, and exactly none of the non-existent gay couples who simply must have a small town Christian family owned pizzeria participate in their gay wedding celebration would be theoretically discriminated against in the hypothetical, imagined parallel timeline the ex nihilo architect of the artificial controversy had conjured up.

Yeah, make them villains, by all means.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
But the pizza shop owners are intolerant homophobes. Those voicing disapproval with the pizza shop owners' discriminatory stance - including calling for boycott - are not intolerant, unless you want to define intolerance of the intolerant as intolerance.
How are they homophobes when they said they would serve any gay customers who came into their shop? They only object to catering a gay wedding, which conflicts with religious beliefs; its not a blanket discrimination of homosexuals.

It is possible to oppose gay marriage while not being hateful towards homosexuals, but it seems anything other than 100% acceptance of the Liberal view on gay marriage is grounds to target, threaten, boycott and harass people. The story of this businesses' opinion (when no actual discrimination ever took place) became a far bigger story than the threats they've received for stating that opinion.

While I support gay marriage, the manner in which gay rights activists have been handling matters like this make me far less sympathetic to the cause. The fervor and vitriol that are instantly ignited on issues like this seem to make people throw out common sense and rational behavior in favor of blind rage. This family should not have their lives ruined and their business destroyed for stating an opinion.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
He's stating they wont participate in an event. He's not refusing pizza to gay people.

Regardless of the religious angle and the new law etc. I don't think a business owner, especially a small mom and pop store needs to agree to do anything a customer asks.
Of course not. I can't pick up the phone and order a table saw from Dominos. If I call them and order a pizza, however, that damn thing better be here in 30 minutes or less.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM

701 posts, read 1,429,584 times
If you're wedding is catered by a low-rent pizzeria, you just might be a redneck.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You can refuse service and respect one's freedom without being ugly.
Yes, you can. So what?

Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yes, you can. So what?

these same whites whining about this would ban blacks if they could as well.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
People are free to not buy their pizza and are free to tell others not to do so. I think it's going too far when a campaign is created to destroy a business and a livliehood not for their poor business, not for an action, but for an opinion. Such a reaction against a "thought crime" doesn't change minds, it makes people bitter and stunts conversation.
The whole law is the result of a "campaign." This is a free country. Anyone can start a campaign for or against anything they want.

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Donors number over 5,000 now with almost $145,000 given. This is how the Lord can work through others when you stand with Him.
More accurately, it demonstrates the bigotry which is inherent within a certain faction of Christianity.

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yes, you can. So what?
When they have to close up shop until the dust settles - then it's too ugly.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
GoFundMe meet the Internal Revenue Service, Internal Revenue Service meet GoFundMe.
I'll step aside, I'm sure you two have a lot to talk about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies