Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,152,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
She did no such thing. At no point in the past had the pizzeria ever discriminated against anyone, and a reporter went to the pizzeria to ask if they support the RFRA in Indiana (which passed with 71% majority in the Indiana government, meaning support would be the majority position if what representatives and Senators does reflects the population).

The reporter was sent out to create the story from whole cloth. O'Connor had done nothing except answer a question asked of her. That's it. All the publicity occurred because the news station that engineered the ex nihilo hatchet job on the pizzeria pursued it, inflated it, made it go viral, etc. The woman was asked a question about her belief/opinion in her own story and she was then remade into an arch villain in social media.

She didn't advertise a single freaking thing. She answered a single question asked by a customer in her pizzeria.
You and I must have watched different interviews.

I don't think it was so much the "act of answering a single questions" so much as the answer she gave.

Saying you will discriminate against people makes you a villain in the minds of many. I don't have much sympathy for her.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
"we have never refused service to anyone, but we would"
is not the same as
"we have never refused service to anyone"
in the eyes of the public.

How many people who don;t support discrimination will now re consider where they spend their money?
It may be a short term gain for the shop with the donations, but it may cause long term harm with loss of business.
I don't consider exercising my right to free exercise of religion, discrimination. If I believe "gay marriage" is wrong, and homosexuality is sin, I have a right to refuse to participate in such a celebration.

Why should you be allowed to force me to participate in your sinful behavior? Christians are not to be a party to sin.

This is all simply an attack on Christianity by homosexuals. Nothing more. They need to learn to respect the views of others, even if they don't agree with them.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,307,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It's hard to believe that in this day and age, anyone could be so naive as to not think there would be repercussions to the kind of comments they made.
It is hard to believe in this day and age that the tolerant left and gay community who have been clamoring for tolerance all these years now do not want tolerance. They want people to be killed and businesses to be burned down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I can respect your right to have any views, while disagreeing with those views. I can even voice my opinion of your views. I can decide that your views are not something I want to associate with and not patronize your business.

No one forced him to do anything. The shop has never even been ASKED to cater a wedding.
So why have they had to close their doors because of threats of violence over something they've never done?

You need to have that conversation with the people on your side of the aisle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
Smart cookies - turning other people's hate and homophobia into cash in their pockets. Fantastic manipulation of the media for your own personal gain. True American entrepreneurs.
Very effective use of hyperbole.

Demonize your opponent and turn a difference of opinion into hate and homophobia.

I see the fund as an expression of love and compassion for someone who has never done anything wrong receiving unwarranted hate and abuse from the side that likes to portray themselves as the ones that are for "regular folk", "the middle class", the "little people", "the working man" and style themselves as the tolerant, diverse and open minded.

Can we start ginning up the Democrats "war on Christians" and compare them to ISIS and Boka Haram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
One person threatened them. It was shameful and she already suffered consequences.

The pizza shop owner is shameful as well and deserves much of what she is getting.
There are hundreds, maybe thousands of threats on social media.

You are saying that someone who has never discriminated, but theorized they might, if asked, is deserving of threats of violence and intimidation?

I thought we were all against bullying now?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't consider exercising my right to free exercise of religion, discrimination. If I believe "gay marriage" is wrong, and homosexuality is sin, I have a right to refuse to participate in such a celebration.

Why should you be allowed to force me to participate in your sinful behavior? Christians are not to be a party to sin.

This is all simply an attack on Christianity by homosexuals. Nothing more. They need to learn to respect the views of others, even if they don't agree with them.
Then don't offer wedding services. Simple solution.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,950,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - Story About First Business to ‘Publicly Vow to Reject Gay Weddings’ Was Fabricated Out of Nothing

ABC-57 reporter Alyssa Marino’s editor sends her on a half-hour drive southwest of their South Bend studio, to the small town of Walkerton (Pop. ~2,300). According to Alyssa’s own account on Twitter, she “just walked into their shop [Memories Pizza] and asked how they feel” about Indiana’s new Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Owner Crystal O’Connor says she’s in favor of it, noting that while anyone can eat in her family restaurant, if the business were asked to cater a gay wedding, they would not do it. It conflicts with their biblical beliefs. Alyssa’s tweet mentions that the O’Connors have “never been asked to cater a same-sex wedding.”

What we have here is — as we called in journalism school jargon — “no story.” Nothing happened. Nothing was about to happen.

In other words, Memories Pizza didn’t blast out a news release. They didn’t contact the media, nor make a stink on Twitter or Facebook. They didn’t even post a sign in the window rejecting gay-wedding catering jobs. They merely answered questions from a novice reporter who strolled into their restaurant one day – who was sent on a mission by an irresponsible news organization.

At that point, the story was about the social media backlash.

So in other words, nobody was ever rejected. The business did not send out a press release. They simply accommodated a press person and this is what they get. This is why people have problems with major media.

-----------------------------------

#2 - Tons of people are donating money in support of the Indiana pizza place that won't deliver pizzas to gay weddings

But lots of people stand in support of Memories Pizza — a GoFundMe page set up for the O'Connor's business has raised a staggering $56,000 in the last 18 hours, and the couple is being applauded for their "stand for faith."

"I wish we had more to give. We can't let a small group of militant haters determine the morality of the nation. Thank you for standing up, I'm sorry it cost you so dearly," a man named Dan Neuman commented on the GoFundMe page. He donated $10.

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. In the end it's how you lived your life. In the end it's all about Christ," donor Stephanie Dickerson wrote along with a $15 donation.

Currently over 4,400 people have donated almost $130,000 to the business.
I am going to send them $10 today!

Remember when homosexuals decided to run Chik-Fil-A out of business? I think this is going to backfire.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 AM

157 posts, read 96,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Of course you have the right to refuse participation in any wedding. But what does that have to do with commercial transactions such as selling cakes and arranging flowers and providing meals?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

So why have they had to close their doors because of threats of violence over something they've never done?

You need to have that conversation with the people on your side of the aisle.
I don't know any of the people that made the remarks. Why should I be responsible for their actions?
Are Christians all responsible for the actions of WBC?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:52 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,152,615 times
Quote:
There are hundreds, maybe thousands of threats on social media.

You are saying that someone who has never discriminated, but theorized they might, if asked, is deserving of threats of violence and intimidation?

I thought we were all against bullying now?
No. No one is deserving of threats, violence or intimidation.

However, I read the Yelp page and Facebook page for the restaurant yesterday and only saw one threat. If there are more, I condemn them as well.

However, saying you would never eat there, calling out the owner on her bigotry, or simply making fun of the owners is not violence, nor is it threatening.

I don't support violence, threats, bullying or intimidation. I also don't support discrimination masquerading as religion.

Clear now? Still confused?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM

698 posts, read 588,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I believe the phrase "Drive By Media" was coined exactly from instances like this.

This is like drive by shootings were people drive through and shoot up a bunch of people and then drive away never to be seen again while leaving behind a bunch of damage and chaos in that community.
"Drive By Media", I have never heard that term before. Is that a Fox News or right wing radio thing?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM

157 posts, read 96,918 times
Quote:
Very effective use of hyperbole.

Demonize your opponent and turn a difference of opinion into hate and homophobia.

I see the fund as an expression of love and compassion for someone who has never done anything wrong receiving unwarranted hate and abuse from the side that likes to portray themselves as the ones that are for "regular folk", "the middle class", the "little people", "the working man" and style themselves as the tolerant, diverse and open minded.
I wasn't using hyperbole. I was being utterly sincere. I think these people are brilliant businessmen. They've found a way to play off of other's hatred and homophobia to get money (tax free money!) without doing any work.

Case it point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am going to send them $10 today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies