Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Here is another high-profile case tied to crowd funding that has been in the news lately (although admittedly not *as* high profile.)

Fire Captain Pete Dern and Family | Medical Expenses - YouCaring

Up to 100k as opposed to the bigots who are well over 800k.

Yup, it's official. The haters of the world have 8xs the monetary power than the caring do. No wonder so many politicians lean this way (or probably more accurately, pander to this base) regardless of the popular votes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This sounds like you're making a blanket statement that lumps all Christians together. Did you bother to look at the gofund website? The number of contributors is a little over 29,000. That's a small percentage of the U.S. population and probably even less than those who claim Christianity as their faith.

I never said Christians. You did. Why would you assume I meant "Christians" when I used the word "haters?"

"Haters" is perhaps too strong a word. Maybe this is more accurate:

The intolerant of the world have 8xs more monetary power than the kind.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:19 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Exactly!
I really thought that these People that fought Against Civil rights were dead or dying. From some of the responses in this thread, it looks like they are still alive and well in 2015.
Hey!
Why don't we install a "colored only" water fountain.

They're very much still alive. And the ones who aren't apparently handed down those values to their offspring. My relatives tried to do the same but I was smart enough to employ some critical thinking when examining their views.

I don't think most/enough people do that and just accept what is handed down to them as "gospel."

Although I do NOT think that these people are all self-identified Christians, i do wonder if this being Easter weekend/season had any effect in bumping the donations.....

Old 04-04-2015, 05:41 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Or...conversely....people are sick and tired of being brow beaten or dictated to by special interests groups to accept an abnormal lifestyle they don't agree with....they can't express this publicly or will be made to look like fools (or boycotted, protested against, etc.) by said groups and the liberal media looking to support the agenda and for ratings.......so, in this case, such people are speaking with their wallets......now it's almost $900,000 in support vs $15 - 20K for the "liberal" crowd.....Of course you will portray them as religious kooks and throw out the "haters" and "bigots" cards but you can't get it through your head that many of this silent majority are normal everyday people who just don't agree either with the lifestyle OR the bullying by these groups to force total acceptance of it "or else" .
Who's brow beating you or dictating to you about anything?

Nobody cares if you approve or not, why do they need your approval?

How exactly were you bullied? did someone come to your home and drag you into the street? Explain the bullying you are receiving under threats of "or else"?

Old 04-04-2015, 05:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
That is really sad that a man who is fighting for his life trying to save someone's home has a $100K and someone running a business who may in fact be "pulling a fast one" has 8 times the donations.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
I don't agree with the idea that a business open to the public can claim religion to refuse service to gay people. If a business would be required to provide service for an interracial wedding even if it goes against their religious beliefs (churches can, and do refuse to marry interracial couples) than they should be required to do the same for a gay couple. Gay people have a right to the same protections provided to race, gender, etc. of the law.

That said, the vitriol directed at the pizza place, and it's owners is disgusting, and indefensible. It's one thing to boycott, or peacefully protest, but death threats, or threatening to destroy any person, or their property is no way to deal with this issue. I believe gay couples have every right to exist, marry, and generally be free from hassle, but threatening violent actions is no way to achieve this. I don't agree with religious groups focusing negativity on gays while ignoring a host of other "sins" people commit, but too many people have let anger take over.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:10 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Try doing a little "critical thinking" there Happy Rider.

I question things. It seems odd when you have your own business and one that is not what you call a needed business(sure who doesn't like pizza but it's not needed) as someone who runs say a auto repair business or a their own plumbing business. Those are essentials, pizza and take out food isn't. That you would go out of your way to not take business, in a still shaky economy.

Maybe they were in financial trouble, tired of running the business, etc.

You do realize that people burn down their own businesses all the time to collect insurance money, some get caught and some don't.

I am not saying this is definitely the case here, but I question the timing and possibly the motive.

Now it's apparently up to one million, so yes I do wonder when I see one million dollars vs. having to run a pizzeria 6 days a week.

Your "critical thinking" is delusional.
Get back to us with any evidence supporting your imagination.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:03 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Man some of you people need time travel back to 1963 and stay there.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:42 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Who's brow beating you or dictating to you about anything?

Nobody cares if you approve or not, why do they need your approval?

How exactly were you bullied? did someone come to your home and drag you into the street? Explain the bullying you are receiving under threats of "or else"?

Wasn't speaking of me personally or regular everyday citizen but of any business owner, politician, actor or other notable person who dares to say anything disapproving of the lifestyle or states their beliefs against the gay agenda.....they are then made an example of and pretty much beaten down in an attempt to teach others that they better either support the agenda or be treated likewise.

Why do they need approval???...good question, but then explain gay rights marching, parades, harassing people into not purchasing from businesses (in this case the pizza place but many others like Chick Fil A, Target and manufacturers (Stoli Vodka, Coors, etc).

In another way, the gay rights agenda is giving unworthy people an advantage.....take the example of the gay NFL player Michael Sam...a mediocre athlete who was heralded and a media sensation not because he was any good but because he was gay. Then recall that several NFL players who tweeted or reacted negatively to having him in the locker room were disciplined and sent for "re-education" (ha..reminds me of a communist nation tactic to get people back in line) because they DARED to express a negative opinion about it....and make no mistake, this was because the NFL was afraid of the same type of boycotts, protests, etc. by gay groups so they were quick to address the comments and send offending players to this "sensitivity" training......this is just another example of these groups exercising control or censorship (I guess it's only ok to censor when it fits their view) to prevent anything but the party line from being out in the public.....what they don't realize is that this is making people resent them more and it works against their cause.

So bottom line is that gays want people/businesses to (pardon the pun) bow down to their views but want to silence people who have an opinion critical of them, making them not be able to express their views against it (at least publicly) or they will be made an example of in an attempt to scare off others from ever expressing their views against the lifestyle.

Last edited by luckyram; 04-04-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 07:51 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is now up to $800K, it is more than ridiculous.

Does anyone ever look at the history of a business like this? Whose to say the owners didn't come up with something because they want to shut the doors?

What better way to get a huge chunk of change and also shut your doors.

And just to be fair, there was a lesbian couple in FL who the last day of school their son(biological child of one of them) went to school with a gay themed t-shirt was sent home, and they sued the school district, why did he have to wear that the last day of school? Maybe they're behind in their mortgage?

I just can't imagine in this economy people turning away business. I really wonder if this isn't an on purpose let's play the "victim" and get a windfall by the dummies who donate to stuff like this.

Lets see as of now $800K vs. having to work 6 days a week making and delivering pizza.
Meh, it really isn't your business nor anyone else's what they do. If people want to donate then it is between them and the pizza shop owners.

I see a lot of green in this thread and it isn't money.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Wasn't speaking of me personally or regular everyday citizen but of any business owner, politician, actor or other notable person who dares to say anything disapproving of the lifestyle or states their beliefs against the gay agenda.....they are then made an example of and pretty much beaten down in an attempt to teach others that they better either support the agenda or be treated likewise.

Why do they need approval???...good question, but then explain gay rights marching, parades, harassing people into not purchasing from businesses (in this case the pizza place but many others like Chick Fil A, Target and manufacturers (Stoli Vodka, Coors, etc).

In another way, the gay rights agenda is giving unworthy people an advantage.....take the example of the gay NFL player Michael Sam...a mediocre athlete who was heralded and a media sensation not because he was any good but because he was gay. Then recall that several NFL players who tweeted or reacted negatively to having him in the locker room were disciplined and sent for "re-education" (ha..reminds me of a communist nation tactic to get people back in line) because they DARED to express a negative opinion about it....and make no mistake, this was because the NFL was afraid of the same type of boycotts, protests, etc. by gay groups so they were quick to address the comments and send offending players to this "sensitivity" training......this is just another example of these groups exercising control or censorship (I guess it's only ok to censor when it fits their view) to prevent anything but the party line from being out in the public.....what they don't realize is that this is making people resent them more and it works against their cause.

So bottom line is that gays want people/businesses to (pardon the pun) bow down to their views but want to silence people who have an opinion critical of them, making them not be able to express their views against it (at least publicly) or they will be made an example of in an attempt to scare off others from ever expressing their views against the lifestyle.
Thanks for the reply.

I think the key words you have used is "support the agenda". I think that the "Agenda" is to just be treated like everyone else. When i walk into a business, my "agenda" is to purchase a product, hand them money, take my product and leave and i'm sure that their "Agenda" is the same thing.

As far as Micheal Sam goes, you can also make the case that if he wasn't gay, he would have been drafter much earlier....even being a borderline player, he would have had the shot. The key to pro sports is simple. If you're a superstar player, teams want you and they'll put up with whatever baggage you carry, but when you're a fringe player like Sam, you are really not wanted because your talent isn't good enough to outweigh all the "circus" that surrounds your situation. This is why Tim Tebow isn't in the league, he's good enough to play somewhere at some position doing something, but teams didnt want the headache, no difference between Tebow and Sam.

I'm pretty sure they don't want you to 'bow down' to their views, they just don't want you to judge their views and take actions to hold those views against them.

Forgetting gay for a second, it all comes down to this. People want to live their lives as they see fit, people want to be left alone to enjoy life no matter what legal choices they make, so when others feel the need to 'meddle' in the lives of people who aren't doing anything wrong, that gets many people sensitive about the issues.....why is it so hard to just live and let live for some people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies