Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:43 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Over $350,000 Raised for Christian Pizzeria After Threats Force Owners into Hiding | The Gateway Pundit

Quote:
On Wednesday, talk radio host Dana Loesch spoke with Crystal O’Connor, the co-owner of Memories Pizza.

Crystal told Dana the family is in hiding and were unable to open the store Wednesday after receiving several threats.
See also: Support Memories Pizza by Lawrence Billy Jones III - GoFundMe

Apart from the misinformation regarding the RFRA bill and what it covers and doesn't cover (see my post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post39041501), its interesting that states like Indiana feel the need to pass laws like RFRA as the status quo in those states and nationally do not bar discrimination based on sexual orientation as is (and any potential future national legislation on the matter would likely be written so as to override any state law/policy to the contrary). In Indiana, before the most recent amendment to the RFRA was signed by Governor Pence stating that businesses couldn't use RFRA to deny goods or services to people based on their sexual orientation (and, indeed, before the original RFRA bill was passed, pre-amendment), there was nothing in the law prohibiting such discrimination. Through the "fix" to the RFRA bill, the LGBT community now has more protection under the law than they've had at any point in history (not that this is a bad thing).

Still, as much as I support and advocate businesses catering to everyone, I don't think that such should be required under law as a general matter. And I definitely don't support threats/bullying against businesses whose religious convictions make them do otherwise, which are disgusting in their own right; you won't win the cultural war or bring others to your side by either condoning or remaining silence in the face of such behavior.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:20 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
The threats and bullying behavior was over the top and should not be tolerated. However, they will probably go under due to boycotting. I wouldn't give my money to them.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:21 PM

920 posts, read 634,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Over $350,000 Raised for Christian Pizzeria After Threats Force Owners into Hiding | The Gateway Pundit

See also: Support Memories Pizza by Lawrence Billy Jones III - GoFundMe

Apart from the misinformation regarding the RFRA bill and what it covers and doesn't cover (see my post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post39041501), its interesting that states like Indiana feel the need to pass laws like RFRA as the status quo in those states and nationally do not bar discrimination based on sexual orientation as is (and any potential future national legislation on the matter would likely be written so as to override any state law/policy to the contrary). In Indiana, before the most recent amendment to the RFRA was signed by Governor Pence stating that businesses couldn't use RFRA to deny goods or services to people based on their sexual orientation (and, indeed, before the original RFRA bill was passed, pre-amendment), there was nothing in the law prohibiting such discrimination. Through the "fix" to the RFRA bill, the LGBT community now has more protection under the law than they've had at any point in history (not that this is a bad thing).

Still, as much as I support and advocate businesses catering to everyone, I don't think that such should be required under law as a general matter. And I definitely don't support threats/bullying against businesses whose religious convictions make them do otherwise, which are disgusting in their own right; you won't win the cultural war or bring others to your side by either condoning or remaining silence in the face of such behavior.
Ever notice how the faithful take care of others? No bullying. No death threats.... unlike the gay mafia. Every dollar donated is a statement in support of religious freedom!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times
Darn it. I wish these leftists would have attacked my business. I could retire early........

Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
The threats and bullying behavior was over the top and should not be tolerated. However, they will probably go under due to boycotting. I wouldn't give my money to them.
Perhaps. But they are probably going to get more than 10 year's worth of profits (easily) when this fundraiser is over with. They have already raised over $418,000 via Gofundme (http://www.gofundme.com/MemoriesPizza); this could easily be a $1 million fundraiser when its all said and done. If I were them, I'd cash out and run/retire.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Darn it. I wish these leftists would have attacked my business. I could retire early........
That will make a very nice retirement package for the pizzeria owners, likely totaling much more than they could have earned in profit over the next 20 years when its all said and done (if it hasn't done so already . . . they have already raised over $418,000).

Old 04-02-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Ever notice how the faithful take care of others? No bullying. No death threats.... unlike the gay mafia. Every dollar donated is a statement in support of religious freedom!
I will say that a lot of the nastiness I've seen comes from the left, which is often hypocritical as they decry mistreatment from others. When I was in college, only leftist student groups would "shut down" events they didn't like. I've seen such behavior extend to the real world as well, which is a shame as it turns me off from being sympathetic to many leftist messages.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Well now they are forced into hiding afraid of death threats and afraid to deliver the pizza to strangers who may want to harm them. People have now donated over $300,000 to the family if they go under they do it with style.

I have to agree this is going too far. They answered a hypothetical question regarding servicing gay weddings and all heck broke loose. They have never actually refused service to anyone for any reason. This is not helping the gay cause. It is angering people . Wise up .

Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 PM

920 posts, read 634,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Well now they are forced into hiding afraid of death threats and afraid to deliver the pizza to strangers who may want to harm them. People have now donated over $300,000 to the family if they go under they do it with style.

I have to agree this is going too far. They answered a hypothetical question regarding servicing gay weddings and all heck broke loose. They have never actually refused service to anyone for any reason. This is not helping the gay cause. It is angering people . Wise up .
Beyond that, there have been physical threats to the person who established the fundraising event, as well as his mother and family! The guy is black and there is a lot of racist crap being thrown at him. And gays are the victims.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Another gofundme account.

Can someone pretty please set me up with one?

I'm tired of my job and I'm too old for this s**t, please help me, every penny counts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies