Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sorry, but I find it quite odd too. I have worked and shopped at many a retail chain that simply keeps the doors open while dealing with various maintenance and remodeling issues.
Our restrooms were redone one at a time in order to keep the store open during our remodel. I find it difficult to imagine what type of plumbing problems they might be having that they would go through the expense of not only closing the entire store, but doing it on such short notice that they are offering two months severance to the employees they can't relocate. In the current penny pinching atmosphere of most retail chains I think that is very unusual. I bet the stockholders are hitting the roof!
Less than 1/10th of 1 percent of their stores. I hardly think this makes a blip on the radar of stockholders. And they wouldn't close if the maintenance issues weren't serious.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Leave it to a progressive leftist not to notice details.

The stores are closing all for the same durations, 6-mos. People are being given 5 hours of notice to leave, when at least several weeks could have been given for problems of a nature that could accommodate known (re)construction pre-planning issues.

Moreover in a time frame coinciding with that also blocked out for a controversial, and domestic standing army exercise, Jade Helm, scheduled for 9 weeks in late summer and early fall of this year that has 2 states in their respective border entireties, Texas and Utah (and the notoriously conservative bottom segment of CA), labeled as "hostile" in a training manual leaked a few weeks ago. And described to reporting media by a participant as a "psy-op." (But commentary on that can wait for another thread started and closed for comment within hours.)
And there you have it, the Alex Jones crazy train. Yup, asking for a legitimate source makes me a liberal. So be it.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:11 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
YOU CAN'T pull permits, until you've actually found the problem, and determined how you want to resolve the problem. Permits are permissions to do certain things. At this point, Wal-Mart knows that their bathrooms have standing water on the floor, and they've been having to have staff mop the floors hourly. They don't know if they are going to have to change the grade for the pipes, or if the pipes have simply eroded, or if there was vandalism that damaged the pipes deep below the building. They don't know if they are going to have to re-locate the bathrooms. They don't know if the mold they are seeing at the bottom of the freezers is pervasive.

As for the merchandise...Wal-Mart has one of the best logistics systems in the world. They don't sell off merchandise and then close. They aren't closing permanently. They move that product to other stores, they donate some of it, they sell some of it to discount outfits, they warehouse it. This isn't Isaac's Dry Goods. This is the largest retailer in the world.

They know there is a problem and I'd imagine they know what the main problems are if they are planning to shut down for 6 months. In any construction project other unanticipated problems will pop up but they haven't even bothered to start the permitting process for the problems that they are already aware of. That's weird. I have contractors in my family so I do have some awareness as to how these things work. The head of Public Works does to.

As for the merchandise. If they anticipated closing they would not have their shelves fully stocked at the time of closing. They would have planned ahead and not stocked up until the hour of closure only to move everything the next day.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
It is odd. My local Sams Club just underwent a multi-month renovation with departments, restrooms, freezers, and coolers being moved around and added - and the store didn't close.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It is odd. My local Sams Club just underwent a multi-month renovation with departments, restrooms, freezers, and coolers being moved around and added - and the store didn't close.

Yep. Our Walmart did the same. It was a total remodel and expansion and they didn't close.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:15 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You have to admit that it's odd that they are closing down 6 stores, all on the exact same day, with little notice given to their employees all for the exact same reason, plumbing issues. I bet Walmart could build a new store in less then 6 months time. It's weird.
dont be silly. walmart has well over 10,000 store and a couple that have major plumbing issues? You dont get out much. do you?

HERE is a different perspective.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They know there is a problem and I'd imagine they know what the main problems are if they are planning to shut down for 6 months. In any construction project other unanticipated problems will pop up but they haven't even bothered to start the permitting process for the problems that they are already aware of. That's weird. I have contractors in my family so I do have some awareness as to how these things work. The head of Public Works does to.

As for the merchandise. If they anticipated closing they would not have their shelves fully stocked at the time of closing. They would have planned ahead and not stocked up until the hour of closure only to move everything the next day.
As for merchandise, it doesn't matter how stocked up. They have other stores close by. They have a fleet of trucks available to transfer that merchandise. And a 128,000 sf store doesn't plan to move everything the next day. I don't care if you have contractors in your family. I've been a mall manager. And I'm way more familiar with this sort of thing than you.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:16 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
And there you have it, the Alex Jones crazy train. Yup, asking for a legitimate source makes me a liberal. So be it.
Your source isn't the problem. Your source is confirmed for you to know the stores are all shutting down for the same reason and within the same time ranges.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
dont be silly. walmart has well over 10,000 store and a couple that have major plumbing issues? You dont get out much. do you?

HERE is a different perspective.
I get out plenty. This closure is odd.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
As for merchandise, it doesn't matter how stocked up. They have other stores close by. They have a fleet of trucks available to transfer that merchandise. And a 128,000 sf store doesn't plan to move everything the next day. I don't care if you have contractors in your family. I've been a mall manager. And I'm way more familiar with this sort of thing than you.
Whatever. I find it odd and so does the public works director who deals with permitting everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies