Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
I recall the WalMart near me, a few years back, had closed the rest rooms at the front of the store for reasons I couldn't say. They were closed for several weeks, and when re opened there were no apparent repairs or remodeling done that I could see. Obviously the entire store never closed, but everyone was made to use the rooms at the back of the store for that period.

CN.......
Probably due to the secret burial of nuclear waste ... or area 51 alien bodies ...

Old 04-15-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Considering how these Walmarts are closing with no notice, I suspect shoddy construction. Perhaps inspections revealed that those buildings are at risk for collapsing.
I buy this theory as well. The company was in a rush to build as many stores as possible as quickly as possible and low bid wins. No one surprised that stuff breaks sooner rather than later?

PS I live in a 70 year old house. Think I am not surprised that is is rotting beneath my feet?

Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 AM

[quote=freemkt;39225498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
That's an interesting theory. Rather than some sort of labor or building issue, maybe they are going to do a test run of some sort of serious remodel.

Dunno why people go to the damn things anyway.[/quote]

People go to Walmart because they are circling the economic drain in a death spiral, trying to delay their financial demise.

They go to Walmart because they are distressed financially.
I suggest that Walmart offers every bit the shopping experience that Target does.

SOURCE

Perhaps it is as simple as this: some people are blue people and some people are red people. Perhaps some people place too much emphasis on political persuasion and not enough on human predilection.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Oh, it's probably just the start of the big reorganizing and rebranding by the new owners.
China Buys Walmart, Will Rebrand as The Great Walmart

Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Wow.........interesting. Got a link? Thanks
Quote:
James Enriquez, the city’s public works director, said Walmart had not even notified authorities of plumbing problems, despite the fact that the company would be required to pull permits before undertaking extensive work.

“If I were a property owner I’d want to make sure my store was closed as little as possible,” Enriquez said. “I would want a permit to be in place the day I was going to close — but we haven’t received anything.”
530 Pico Rivera Walmart employees laid off after sudden closure of supercenter

Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Not sure why the other thread was closed, but whatever. Anyone who says that it isn't odd that 5 stores in different states all closed on the same day for 6 months, for the same reason, (plumbing issues), with only 5 hours notice is either really naive, or just odd themselves. To admit that it's odd does not make one a conspiracy theorist. I don't buy into it for one main reason; wouldn't people be watching the stores like a hawk for 6 months to try and find any illicit, or odd movements or actions? What say you?
I believe Walmart, but then I believed Enron when they closed 5 power plants in California during the hottest part of the summer for "maintenance" 15 years ago

Old 04-15-2015, 06:50 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Any real links to a story detailing these five stores that closed at the same time? This is the first I've heard anything about it.

A comment on the story about the Pico Rivera location implies that it was indeed because of union busting, though.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:53 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Where's Moochelle and Barack? These Walmart workers put them in office. Jimmy Carter would have been there with the union organizers giving his support.

Barack is NOT a man of the people. He looks at himself as a globalization leader, not even an American.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:01 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
I-Team: Wal-Mart stores that were suddenly closed for plumbing issues haven't sought permits - Story | abcactionnews.com | Tampa Bay News, Weather, Sports, Things To Do | WFTS-TV

Quote:
The I-Team has learned that none of the five affected stores have sought any plumbing permits for future repairs.
Quote:
Enriquez says when Walmart notified the city Monday that it was closing the store, he offered his full support in trying to get it back open.“My building official walked out there and didn’t see any work being done,” he said. He said his office was unaware of any prior plumbing issues, but reached out to Walmart, offering to help with granting permits for work. “We needed to do what we could, since about 500 people are without jobs,” Enriquez said Walmart has not contacted his office about obtaining any permits.
Quote:
The tax service manager (Liberty Kiosk in the store) said she was told to have her files and computers out of the store by 5 p.m., and was unsure if customers would know how to reach her at another office to file their taxes on time. The manager said she has worked inside the store since 2012, used the restroom daily and has never seen a plumber working in the store or witnessed a plumbing problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies