Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Do you have another source besides Alex Jones?
I-Team: Wal-Mart stores that were suddenly closed for plumbing issues haven't sought permits - Story | abcactionnews.com | Tampa Bay News, Weather, Sports, Things To Do | WFTS-TV

Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Something else is up. Nobody shuts down five $40-50 million/year stores for 6 months for plumbing repairs.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Jones as a source is more trustworthy than the New York Times.
To the crazies...

Old 04-16-2015, 05:22 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Man some people have their heads so far stuck in the sand, they can't even admit this is weird.

Were it 5 Wally Worlds closing, but this one had this issue, that one had that issue, etc, it wouldn't be odd. The fact that 5 of them are closing, for the exact same amount of time, for the exact same reasons, and did it at the exact same time is odd.

Does it mean there's something nefarious going on? It doesn't have to mean that, but you cannot deny that it's strange, ESPECIALLY when they give FIVE HOURS notice, toss everyone out the door after they stocked up the shelves, and gave them two months' pay.

You not seeing that as odd doesn't prove it's not odd, it just proves you don't think.
still don't understand why you find this odd

so a MAJOR corporation DECIDES to close (for what ever reason...plumbing issues...profitability...wanting a new local) 5 stores..the corp has near 5000 USA stores and 11,000 stores world wide

5 stores out of 5000 in the USA...that's 1/10 of 1 % of the stores

it is certainly possible that 5 stores out of 5000 had major plumbing problems

it is certainly NORMAL for a CORPORATION to DECIDE when and where stores will be opened, closed, renovated, or moved to, and when

it is fiscally SMART for them to close them in april (after the bonus quarter ends in march) for 5-6 months for major renovations (not the minor renos of redoing the floors from linoleum to polished concrete ) closing a store for the few months, with plans to reopen in September, just in time for the back to school, Halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas sales

it is fiscally smart not to have a ''closing sale'' when they can relocate all the merchandise to other stores and NOT sell tham at 10%-50% off

lastly...I have no-idea why all you people NEED to make some giant conspiracy out of everything...do you all live in some sort of paranoid delusion where some entity or guvmt spy is out to get you????

Old 04-16-2015, 06:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Walmart FEMA Camps ..........

Precious.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:41 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
still don't understand why you find this odd

it is certainly NORMAL for a CORPORATION to DECIDE when and where stores will be opened, closed, renovated, or moved to, and when

it is fiscally SMART for them to close them in April (after the bonus quarter ends in march) for 5-6 months for major renovations (not the minor renos of redoing the floors from linoleum to polished concrete ) closing a store for the few months, with plans to reopen in September, just in time for the back to school, Halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas sales

it is fiscally smart not to have a ''closing sale'' when they can relocate all the merchandise to other stores and NOT sell tham at 10%-50% off
Yes, it would make sense that if a major store was going to close for five or six months,, April to September would be the time to do it, but the point that I and others have made is the fact that they did this with virtually NO notice when they could have waited even one week, until after "tax week". As previously noted, one of their "tenants" was a tax service and the managers had less than five hours to clear out everything. It is also just weird that the announcement was the same day and time for all five stores. [I am not, however, going to argue about the length of time it takes to do repairs or what is involved because (1) I have no knowledge of such things, and (2) even if I did, it was not made clear as to exactly what repairs are needed.]

Also, although, yes, it would not make sense to have everything sold at clearance prices if it would cost WM less money to move things out to another store, I have read that fresh produce was delivered up to (or very close to) the day of the closings. But although it would make sense to move sheets, "furniture", clothing, etc., what about perishable items?? Okay, so I have read that they donated all the leftovers to food banks, and maybe they did not want to inconvenience customers who were counting on being able to get their daily fruit, but they certainly did not care enough about their customers and employees to give them a decent "heads up." I have lived in very populated suburbs all my life, and I have NEVER heard of a major store doing this (closing a store for a long period with virtually no notice and without having a clearance sale). Never. Little stores, yes, such as dry cleaners (which received a lot of bad press featuring very angry customers), but not big stores.

Oh, and the above brings up another point -- I have read that some people have been monitoring things at the closed WMs, and they note NO activity except for a couple of police cars. Wouldn't there have been a hive of activity in packing up the merchandise and moving it out? I mean, what about the overnight stocking people? Why didn't they keep them on just long enough to do that work? (Now, this is according to a report I read on the 14th, so maybe things have changed by now, so if there is movement going on now, great.)

Again, no one, I think, is disputing WM's right to do whatever they want as long as it is not illegal, but I just think that anyone who has read and thought about the reports would find this situation to be very strange.

P.S. And, no, I am not necessarily thinking that this is some ominous "conspiracy", but it just -- to repeat this for about the twentieth time -- seems very odd to me.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-16-2015 at 07:49 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Walmart's prices have gone sky high, they are no longer the store to shop at, to begin with, their prices are higher then some other stores, and I'm amazed, now this...so when they re-open their prices will again sky rocket....

Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm not talking about the time spent obtaining the land or the permits or dealing with the hearings. I'm talking actual construction time. 6 months is a long time to close a profitable store. It is odd that all of the stores are having the exact same issue at the exact same time.
Walmart has 11,000 stores under different brand names in 27 countries. That 6 of those stores have a common problem at any point in time is not surprising.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It is funny that people are assuming I am a liberal for questioning CT Alex Jones. Not all conservatives eat up conspiracy theories.
Most conservatives dismiss Alex Jones.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
it's only 5 stores.

plumbing work... better deal when you fix more, get them out of the way together.

nothing more.
I'm thinking black mold.

5-6 stores out of 11,000 is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies