Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 07:08 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I'm thinking black mold.

5-6 stores out of 11,000 is nothing.
Good guess. But 5-6 stores at exactly the same time? That's the odd part. And the Liberty Tax Service lessee being told to remove everything within a few hours on one of their busiest days? Also odd.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Knowing the way Wal-Mart operates those stores were probably all built by substandard contractors who cut corners on every aspect. From what I've read, they'd been having issues for a long time. Or maybe they did some underhanded stuff to get building permits where they shouldn't have been allowed to build in the first place. Or maybe Wal-Mart is just practicing a little union busting. I'm guessing the latter.
All but one store is in a Right to Work state.

If this was Union busting, organized labor would be at the forefront of comments.

I'm going with black mold or perhaps a new store concept.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:13 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Yes, it would make sense that if a major store was going to close for five or six months,, April to September would be the time to do it, but the point that I and others have made is the fact that they did this with virtually NO notice when they could have waited even one week, until after "tax week". As previously noted, one of their "tenants" was a tax service and the managers had less than five hours to clear out everything.) It is also just weird that the announcement was the same day and time for all five stores. [I am not, however, going to argue about the length of time it takes to do repairs or what is involved because (1) I have no knowledge of such things, and (2) even if I did, it was not made clear as to exactly what repairs are needed.]

Also, although, yes, it would not make sense to have everything sold at clearance prices if it would cost WM less money to move things out to another store, I have read that fresh produce was delivered up to (or very close to) the day of the closings. But although it would make sense to move sheets, "furniture", clothing, etc., what about perishable items?? Okay, so I have read that they donated all the leftovers to food banks, and maybe they did not want to inconvenience customers who were counting on being able to get their daily fruit, but they certainly did not care enough about their customers and employees to give them a decent "heads up." I have lived in very populated suburbs all my life, and I have NEVER heard of a major store doing this (closing a store for a long period with virtually no notice and without having a clearance sale). Never. Little stores, yes, such as dry cleaners (which received a lot of bad press featuring very angry customers), but not big stores.

Oh, and the above brings up another point -- I have read that some people have been monitoring things at the closed WMs, and they note NO activity except for a couple of police cars. Wouldn't there have been a hive of activity in packing up the merchandise and moving it out? I mean, what about the overnight stocking people? Why didn't they keep them on just long enough to do that work? (Now, this is according to a report I read on the 14th, so maybe things have changed by now, so if there is movement going on now, great.)

Again, no one, I think, is disputing WM's right to do whatever they want as long as it is not illegal, but I just think that anyone who has read and thought about the reports would find this situation to be very strange.

P.S. And, no, I am not necessarily thinking that this is some ominous "conspiracy", but it just -- to repeat this for about the twentieth time -- seems very odd to me.
Well said. I agree with everything. Just because some of us find the situation odd, does not mean that we think it's some sort of grand conspiracy. We're just talking about it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Are the 5 stores all union stores with trouble makers working there?
No US Walmart is unionized. If this were an attempt to stop potential unionization, organized labor would be on the front lines, complaining.

All but one store are in Right to Work states.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
All but one store is in a Right to Work state.

If this was Union busting, organized labor would be at the forefront of comments.

I'm going with black mold or perhaps a new store concept.
It could be. But why not just say if it was going to be a new store concept? That's why some of us are questioning this. Is it really due to plumbing problems as they say or is it something else? That something else could include things like black mold, union busting, a new store concept, etc. Some of us do find it odd that no plumbing permits have been applied for. In a more normal construction scenario, permits would be applied for ahead of the closure to minimize the days the store needed to be closed.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
Wal Mart- your employees unionizing is inevitable. Get over it. Either pay better wages and better hours or go out of business. Signed Every American getting the shaft!
All but one of these stores are located in Right to Work states.

Organizers would be at the forefront of communications if this was Union busting, especially in unfriendly Union states.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Maybe more closings will be announced as their other buildings are inspected. I heard WalMart did hire the fastest and cheapest contractor to build their stores.
Nearly everyone hires the fastest/ cheapest.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
No US Walmart is unionized. If this were an attempt to stop potential unionization, organized labor would be on the front lines, complaining.

All but one store are in Right to Work states.
Walmart in general actively discourages it's workers from becoming members of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union but many do anyway. There were protests at the Pico Rivera Walmart not too long involving the Union and many Walmart employees who were members.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
And if they don't? Why no advanced notice? And all 5 gave the exact same excuse; plumbing issues?

Like I said, I don't buy into the conspiracy, but this is very odd. Don't you think it's odd?
Mold?

Why would they give employees more notice? To picket? Steal? Vandalize?

Same deal at any large scale retail.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
oh, it's probably just the start of the big reorganizing and rebranding by the new owners.
china buys walmart, will rebrand as the great walmart
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies