Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Maybe more closings will be announced as their other buildings are inspected. I heard WalMart did hire the fastest and cheapest contractor to build their stores.
And if they don't? Why no advanced notice? And all 5 gave the exact same excuse; plumbing issues?

Like I said, I don't buy into the conspiracy, but this is very odd. Don't you think it's odd?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
I recall the WalMart near me, a few years back, had closed the rest rooms at the front of the store for reasons I couldn't say. They were closed for several weeks, and when re opened there were no apparent repairs or remodeling done that I could see. Obviously the entire store never closed, but everyone was made to use the rooms at the back of the store for that period.

CN.......
That happened at one of the stores here in Greenville too, but like you said, the store never closed, and certainly not for 6 months.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The public works director is quoted in the San Gabriel Valley Tribune. Its link is here:
530 Pico Rivera Walmart employees laid off after sudden closure of supercenter

[via Infowars.com]
Wow, thanks. From the link:

James Enriquez, the city’s public works director, said officials have not been notified of plumbing issues at the store. The company would be required to pull permits before undertaking extensive work.
• Video: Employees, customers react to closing of Pico Rivera store, layoff of 530 employees
“If I were a property owner I’d want to make sure my store was closed as little as possible,” Enriquez said. “I would want a permit to be in place the day I was going to close — but we haven’t received anything.”

Spokeswoman Garcia said the closure would begin at 7 p.m. Monday and could last six months or longer depending on the scope of needed work.
Bobadilla said the repercussions extend beyond people losing jobs.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
I thought all the democrats hated Walmart, thought this would have made them happy.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Wal-Mart probably wanted to get back at the workers in those stores, because they were becoming too activist, especially toward labor unions. So Wal-Mart had to do something to break them up.
I suspect this as well.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walmart is nimble and competitive and opens new stores and closes old stores all the time. I've worked head office for 2 Walmart competitors, and closing a store for (up to) 6 months for "plumbing problems" and laying off all the staff is not normal. Something else is up. Thinking positively... maybe they'll re-open with a secret "new concept' they want to keep under wraps as long as possible.
I'm not so sure about this. Here in San Antonio we had one of our oldest Walmarts remodeled as a concept store. Parkway wood floors, better lighting, completely renovated bathrooms. As far as I know, they never closed, just shut down various areas of the store while leaving the others open until they could be remodeled as well.

My guess is the first quarter just ended and these store were not performing well. Some may be reopened as new concepts, but I doubt it. If they were hemmoraging money, corporate did what they had to do. The whole "plumbing" excuse is weird, though.

At least they gave the employees 2 months of leave pay. I have experienced corporate layoffs where the company didn't give the employees a dime.

All the conspiracies are pretty stupid. There are so many indoor malls that have closed or are dying due to their anchor stores leaving, the government wouldn't need to confiscate up and running Walmarts for the supposed FEMA camps. The real estate is out there.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
All the conspiracies are pretty stupid.
They're just a variety of outside-the-box candidate suppositions and/or observations presented by various onlookers, nothing more.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
They're just a variety of outside-the-box candidate suppositions and/or observations presented by various onlookers, nothing more.
I respectfully respond that I havent heard any of the candidates discussing the closure.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:32 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Ulp. Our local Wal mart has had its bathrooms closed a few times for broken plumbing. Knuckle draggers steal items and flush the packaging down the toilets.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
You know what, that might make sense about it being tied in with Jade Helm. If they're all southern/ southwestern states. Wal Mart is a reserve supply branch of the government in a crisis. These could be made into supply hubs. People near these stores will have to keep an eye out to see if trucks move in and out and they can always just walk up to the front doors and look in the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies