Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Freedom FROM Religion? So I have no right to walk away from you accosting me on the street? I have no right to throw your literature in the nearest trash can? I have no right to slam my door in your face when you come preaching your religion at my home? I have no right to refuse to PRAY in public when YOU determine that everyone must?

Yes, there IS Freedom FROM Religion.
No there isn't. You can't stop the person on the street from talking to you. You can't stop them from handing out pamphlets because you want to be free from religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:30 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, merely quoting Alito's ruling.

False. It applies to any closely held corporation, not limited to a single family at all.

It's clear you dont understand the ruling.
You are misrepresenting the ruling.

I do understand the ruling, I meant to put closely held corps (which I've said a few times already). Apologies for the mistake.

It is clear however that it is you who misunderstood the ruling. The ruling was a redefining of what's considered to be a person, which is why the first amendment wasn't the REASON for the ruling.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No there isn't. You can't stop the person on the street from talking to you. You can't stop them from handing out pamphlets because you want to be free from religion.
No, you can't. What we can do however is prevent discrimination and acts that are ruled illegal. Religion doesn't trump law and doesn't belong in government, ever.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
No, you can't. What we can do however is prevent discrimination and acts that are ruled illegal. Religion doesn't trump law and doesn't belong in government, ever.
And yet the courts rule otherwise. Congress starts every morning with a prayer, moment of meditation or whatever the one invited to start the day chooses.

There are times that rights conflict and IMO most times the courts get it right.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
And yet the courts rule otherwise. Congress starts every morning with a prayer, moment of meditation or whatever the one invited to start the day chooses.

There are times that rights conflict and IMO most times the courts get it right.
Prayer is generic, hardly a religious establishment unless they require it be done in the name of a specific religion, though I personally disagree with it.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The fouding fathers wanted to protect religion from the state. Not the other way around as some seem to think.
I haven't read through every page so don't know if this has been pointed out, but here is the actual wording from the Constitution:

"Amendment 1, Restrictions on Powers of Congress Congress shall make no law respecting any establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;...."

The Federal Government is ONLY restricted from "establishing" a religion. The Constitution says nothing about this "seperation of church and state" as the above quote has been interpreted by "inept" people...putting it nicely.

As for the Constitution be old fashioned and all the rest of the blather...NO! The United States Constitution is the finest document the world has ever seen on which to base the governing body of a country and guarantee of freedom to all citizens.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Prayer is generic, hardly a religious establishment unless they require it be done in the name of a specific religion, though I personally disagree with it.
It is done by specific religions.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
It is done by specific religions.
But it is not required, that is the important part.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:59 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
In addition, we need to get over this "political correctness" crap. A person's religion is their private freedom. If you agree with them, fine. If you do not then just go on about your business and keep your nose out of theirs and your opinions to yourself. That's part of enjoying our freedom and certainly creates a better over-all citizenship.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
But it is not required, that is the important part.
No, they could end it tomorrow if they wanted to. Again though the premise of the thread was whether or not there is a freedom from religion.

If you worked in the Senate and didn't like the morning invocations you couldn't stop them on some idea that you have a right to be free from religion.

And to be clear, I am not arguing for a Christian anything for the country. I'm simply arguing our Constitutional rights. A Christian belief does not trump another belief or no belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies