Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:04 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's an overused term...kinda like "hero."

I've realized a long time ago that 90% of the people using the "thug" term have no earthly idea what a thug REALLY is.
Nonsense. A thug is a violent individual who has no respect for the rights of others. Instead of saying that the term is racist since black males are the ones who mostly behave in this manner, maybe the black community should encourage those black males to not act like thugs or embrace the thug lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
If young black males exhibit thuggish behavior, then they are called thugs. If white's do it, then they're thugs too. Seems like nowadays, though, there's more blacks exhibiting thuggish behavior than whites. Not racist, just fact, and that also explains the greater frequency of tragic run-ins with law enforcement officers. If they only had mothers like the one young man did in the video.........
She would be called a thug by the PC crowd instead of her son since you aren't allowed to effectively discipline your children anymore. Ask Adrian Petersen.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've read several articles about artist 2pac, it seems like he read the book "Prince" in prison, To a certain degree, 2pac was mostly associated with the “Thug Life”, he was also politically conscious.

There is an interesting book about 2pac's Relationship With Machiavelli. a very interesting read.
Read the wrong way, Machiavelli can be seen as advocating rape when he compared fortune to a woman and recommended that one be impetuous if they wish to "hold her down, to beat her, to strike her down".

Old 04-29-2015, 11:49 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I am older, and a "thug" to me was a person who was an outlaw, a bad person, who beats up and abuses others, destroys property, shoots people. In other words, a bad guy, criminal, with a bad attitude, out to cause mayhem and commit crimes. When I was younger, "thugs" were primarily related to mafia henchmen, and nazi/commie henchmen, or common steet villains. While these "thugs" still exist to some extent, the majority of individuals nowadays who exhibit "thuggish" behavior are criminal black males - gang members and the like. To me this is not a term that describes a race, but instead a type of malevolent behavior. I don't see this as a "racist" term, but rather an "if the shoe fits............."
The word has recently taken on racial overtones.

I'm older too, and like you, I have no racial connotations either, but for the past couple of years, the word 'thug' has been used in the same sentence as 'ghetto', 'minority', and others to make the meaning clear while attempting to retain deniability.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Nonsense. A thug is a violent individual who has no respect for the rights of others. Instead of saying that the term is racist since black males are the ones who mostly behave in this manner, maybe the black community should encourage those black males to not act like thugs or embrace the thug lifestyle.
What is nonsense and where did I say anything about it being a racist term?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:00 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Thug is code word for black male.

When other races of men shoot up innocent children in schools, set off bombs and go on random killing sprees they are never called thugs.

Most of the people doing the talking on forums about these issues are the ones that don't even have regular contact with blacks.

Wish our world wasn't so full of dishonest untruthful people.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:05 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
18 year old white kids aren't called thugs.

Thug means the n-word.
Have you had much experience with many 18 year old whites committing violent crime or burning down cities?

Or do simply express opinion?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:08 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
When other races of men shoot up innocent children in schools, set off bombs and go on random killing sprees they are never called thugs.
Hmm. People setting off bombs in public are generally called terrorists. That doesn't depend upon color either.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. People setting off bombs in public are generally called terrorists. That doesn't depend upon color either.
The gov't calls them terrorists.

You understand exactly what I said.

Good job trying to deflect the meaning of my post.

thug is the new code word for black males

Old 04-30-2015, 02:39 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
This is all so confusing. Drug addled talk show host Limbaugh said that union members are thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies