Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't think you even know what Roe v Wade was about....it wasn't about limiting a woman's right to choose.
I know it quite well as I've shown here. I was the only one to note that this law banned absolutely nothing.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I know it quite well as I've shown here. I was the only one to note that this law banned absolutely nothing.
The Roe v Wade decision wasn't about banning anything, yet you keep acting like it was about something it wasn't.....that doesn't help your case on why you think the government needs to play doctor with women....

Old 05-22-2015, 03:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Having concluded in Roe that access to abortion is a “fundamental right,” the court declared that only a “compelling state interest” could justify the enactment of state laws or regulations that limit this right. The court also recognized that the state has an “important and legitimate interest” in protecting the health of the mother and even “the potentiality of human life” inside her. The court then asked: When does the state’s legitimate concern for maternal and fetal protection rise to the level of compelling interest? To answer this question, Blackmun created a three-tiered legal framework, based on the nine-month period of pregnancy, which gave the state greater interest and regulatory latitude in each successive tier...........

A History of Key Abortion Rulings of the U.S. Supreme Court | Pew Research Center

Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
I've covered that.

"Doc, I'm 21 weeks pregnant and I don't want to carry out this pregnancy. My boyfriend just left me and I dont want my parents to know"

Doctor: I recommend an abortion.

No one is arguing that doesn't happen.
What you are arguing is that doctors don't say, "Miss, your baby is seriously deformed, your blood pressure is through the roof. I understand that you wanted this baby, but from a medical viewpoint, I urge you to have an abortion. The baby is unlikely to live for long even if you take it to term, and you aren't responding to any of the medications we've given you. Right now, you are at risk for seizures or possibly a stroke. We need to terminate this pregnancy."

Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
If a woman wants to cut off her arm or her leg, that's OK with me. But a fetus isn't her flesh. It has different DNA and she shouldn't have unlimited control over that creature living inside her.
Think about it.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
And yet RvW and the Supreme Court said it can be.
Roe V Wade said it wasn't any of your business. The decision rested on a woman's right to PRIVACY.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Having concluded in Roe that access to abortion is a “fundamental right,” the court declared that only a “compelling state interest” could justify the enactment of state laws or regulations that limit this right. The court also recognized that the state has an “important and legitimate interest” in protecting the health of the mother and even “the potentiality of human life” inside her. The court then asked: When does the state’s legitimate concern for maternal and fetal protection rise to the level of compelling interest? To answer this question, Blackmun created a three-tiered legal framework, based on the nine-month period of pregnancy, which gave the state greater interest and regulatory latitude in each successive tier...........

A History of Key Abortion Rulings of the U.S. Supreme Court | Pew Research Center
20 weeks is in the second trimester, not the third. This is nothing more that right wingers trying to make abortion illegal by trying to change the rules. By the time a woman is in her third trimester, she is planning on giving birth to the baby and doesn't require the government to play doctor.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:29 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Senate advances Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act

The bill, titled the "Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act", would make abortions illegal on unborn babies determined to be at least 20 weeks old, with exceptions in the cases of rape and incest if reported 48 hours prior to the abortion and when the life of the mother is at risk.

Graham also pointed out that America is one of seven countries to allow abortions at the 20-week stage of the pregnancy, a list that includes China and North Korea."This is not the America I yearn for," Graham said. "I yearn for an America that cares about people in all phases of life, and at 20 weeks you have achieved a milestone. If I have anything to say about it, we will fight for you at 20 weeks."

Graham wasn't sure how many votes they will get or when it will be signed into law, but he was confident that it would eventually become law. "Over time, we will win," Graham said. The House of Representatives passed a companion bill back in May, which President Obama has threatened to veto.
Of course this is not going to pass as long as Barack Obama is president. However, Lindsey Graham is right that we are one of only seven countries that allow abortions this late. And he is also right that it makes sense to continue to push this, because it eventually will pass.

It also makes sense to bring this up because while the House of Representatives has passed several similar bills over the last few years, the Senate never was permitted to debate or vote on them while Harry Reid and the Democrats controlled the Senate. So this will be the first opportunity for all 100 Senators to weigh in on this important question.

The American people clearly support reasonable restrictions on abortions, and clearly limiting access to them to 5 months falls within most people's conception of what is reasonable.

Democrats who vote against this will be singling themselves out as the extremists on this issue that they are. And of course there is an election looming in 2016, during which those Democrats who are running will have to explain and answer for their extremism.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Of course this is not going to pass as long as Barack Obama is president. However, Lindsey Graham is right that we are one of only seven countries that allow abortions this late. And he is also right that it makes sense to continue to push this, because it eventually will pass.

It also makes sense to bring this up because while the House of Representatives has passed several similar bills over the last few years, the Senate never was permitted to debate or vote on them while Harry Reid and the Democrats controlled the Senate. So this will be the first opportunity for all 100 Senators to weigh in on this important question.

The American people clearly support reasonable restrictions on abortions, and clearly limiting access to them to 5 months falls within most people's conception of what is reasonable.

Democrats who vote against this will be singling themselves out as the extremists on this issue that they are. And of course there is an election looming in 2016, during which those Democrats who are running will have to explain and answer for their extremism.
The only thing that matters is the supreme court decision, we don't base our laws on public opinion. This discussion is about 1% of abortions that occur after 20 weeks, pretty close to other countries. Abortions are down and that's great news but the GOP continues to address the symptom rather than the problem, actually do their best to make things worse by closing clinics.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Why would anyone oppose this? I read the bill. It is short, to the point, and allows exceptions for rape and the health of the woman. It also explains the research. I don't see why the senate or anyone else would be against bans on mutilating a fetus for no good reason.

House passes bill banning abortions after 20 weeks - CNNPolitics.com

Of course Hillary is against it.
Does anybody really care what the nutjobs in the House pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies