Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:55 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,129,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Key words here are "BUDGET DEFICIT".

The poor are outnumbering the taxpayers.
In other words we are running out of money.
Not really. We have a pension crisis in this country, too many old people that we can't keep promises on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:10 PM

7,527 posts, read 5,769,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Why should poor people have to suffer because the GOP governor and legislator mismanaged the state??
I have a better idea. Why don't they get off their lazy azzes and get a job, actually pay taxes and contribute to the economy instead of leeching off it?

Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM

943 posts, read 783,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you are saying the tax payer should pay their way for the rest of their lives?

I'm wondering if it is by the fact that someone is on welfare that makes it harder to get a job. Being on welfare may tell a lot about a person that is not a positive attribute.
No, the tax payers should support a living wage so it is impossible for a full time worker to live in poverty(excluding overspending and recklessness of course).

Old 05-23-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I have a better idea. Why don't they get off their lazy azzes and get a job, actually pay taxes and contribute to the economy instead of leeching off it?
In order to get TANF/cash assistance you have to work. The question is why would any job pay poverty wages. Or do you think people should work 2 or 3 jobs just to live a basic living??

Old 05-23-2015, 03:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,779,544 times
Quote:
In order to get TANF/cash assistance you have to work. The question is why would any job pay poverty wages. Or do you think people should work 2 or 3 jobs just to live a basic living??
A married couple works with both working is the same thing, each contributing to supporting the family. Then there are those people who bring kids into a fatherless home and expecting the same lifestyle.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A married couple works with both working is the same thing, each contributing to supporting the family. Then there are those people who bring kids into a fatherless home and expecting the same lifestyle.
Two working parents can and are living in poverty. Two parents making $8 or $9 an hour are still poor. Not all single mothers are "baby mommas." Some of them are widows. Some are divorced. It is very easy to be poor in this country without it being because you are lazy or even uneducated. So many college graduates are living in poverty.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Not really. We have a pension crisis in this country, too many old people that we can't keep promises on.

Raising FICA will fix that. Not like is hasn't been done before when the numbers didn't crunch out.
And then ask Congress when they plan to pay back all that money they borrowed.

Today's senior has contributed more to SS then they will get back in their lifetime.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:35 PM

1,733 posts, read 950,690 times
Quote:
What do you consider a "basic living?" No cable, older car, no iphone, etc?
What is wrong with picking up a second job if you can't make it on one? When I was young and stupid, at one point I carried 3 jobs: 1 full time, 2 part time. It was my fault- I overspent and didn't make make enough money to pay the bills. I buckled down and ate at home, drove only to work and back, and didn't spend on anything extra until I had paid off my debt.
And if I had gotten up enough nerve to ask my parents for help, they would have laughed and told me to get a second job. I did. It didn't kill me and I learned a good lesson from the experience.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Two working parents can and are living in poverty. Two parents making $8 or $9 an hour are still poor. Not all single mothers are "baby mommas." Some of them are widows. Some are divorced. It is very easy to be poor in this country without it being because you are lazy or even uneducated. So many college graduates are living in poverty.
AZ went from 2 years to 1 year.
After their 1 year they can move to CA and get another year.

TANF isn't lifetime.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:41 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
Arizona could save a lot of money if it charged the corporate farms the actual cost of supplying irrigation water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies