Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:48 PM

943 posts, read 783,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL. You think we don't know what poor is?

One can comfortably live with $1000 a month. I used to do that and my monthly was $900.
A person working full time on the federal minimum wage is not making $1,000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 04:50 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,558,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
They are diverting funds to other areas. Which unfortunately is legal because under block grants(which republicans love), the requirements are broad. They are using the federal funds for child welfare and to plug other areas. Categorical grants from the Federal government can't be used outside of stated areas.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, your raise went to the government in the form of higher taxes. Thank you for contributing to the government coffers.
No the productivity gains went to the CEOs/Management.

10,216 posts, read 8,129,321 times
Quote:
Why should Obama wish to create more jobs when it is welfare recipients who are his greatest fans? Democrats have a vested interest in expanding the numbers of Americans who have simply given up looking for work.

The impact of food stamps, Section 8 housing subsidies, Medicaid, and other support programs has been to create a welfare class which, in terms of skills and attitudes, is poorly equipped to return to work. Not only that, the children of welfare moms are nurtured in a mentality that perpetuates dependency. And liberal politicians are in no hurry to end this dependency since the system of welfare patronage serves their interests.

Don't forget the producers/creators, they love corporate welfare since we are making stupid generaliztions!

Carry on with your misguided notions of how the world works.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,558,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
From the same article:

Arizona's welfare is entirely federally funded through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, but that money comes in a block grant, and Republicans want to use it instead for agencies such as the state's Department of Child Safety.

What good is "Child Safety" if poor children don't have a home or can't eat?
I think the heat in Arizona has baked & fried the minds of the GOP in Arizona!

Old 05-23-2015, 04:53 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,129,321 times
Quote:
Yep, your raise went to the government in the form of higher taxes. Thank you for contributing to the government coffers.
How do you explain individual worker productvity increasing by many fold, while wages stagnating for 4 decades? Perhaps when you can understand what's happening, you can loosen your incorrect views about welfare.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times
Quote:
Two working parents can and are living in poverty. Two parents making $8 or $9 an hour are still poor. Not all single mothers are "baby mommas." Some of them are widows. Some are divorced. It is very easy to be poor in this country without it being because you are lazy or even uneducated. So many college graduates are living in poverty.
Uh: I DON'T agree there. If BOTH people are working 40 hours a week at even 8 dollars each an hour; that's 640 dollars a week before taxes with about 500 or more AFTER. Def too high for food stamps but 2 people living where the rent's 600 a month or less CAN make it pretty easy. The "killer" tho is medical insurance. Ask me how I know.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
I agree that if you're paying for housing twice, that could be an issue. However, if half your income goes to housing and the other half goes for the basics, yes, it may be tight but it's doable. A second job delivering pizzas or waitressing, for example, give one cash every day and some can be saved for car repairs, etc. It can be done. Throw extra change into a change jar and/or put back every $ you can spare. I read once about a guy that saved every $5 bill he had and it amounted to a surprising amount after just one year.

I guess I just don't have much sympathy for those who are healthy and able-bodied, to whine about not being able to make it on minimum wage.
Many people work 2 or 3 jobs and they are barely making it. And no, in a developed country, people should not have to work more than one job to make ends meet.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times
Quote:
I consider poor meaning making less than $25,000-$35,000. I consider poor meaning half your income goes to housing and there is little money left over after paying for essentials--- water bill, electricity, housing, food, and such.
Really? Maybe in LA or NYC; not so much here in Bullhead City. 600 dollars a month can def rent an Ok place which times 12 equals 7,200 a year. Def doable for most people make 25K a year.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:58 PM

1,733 posts, read 950,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
How do you explain individual worker productvity increasing by many fold, while wages stagnating for 4 decades? Perhaps when you can understand what's happening, you can loosen your incorrect views about welfare.

Illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies