Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
No, the tax payers should support a living wage so it is impossible for a full time worker to live in poverty(excluding overspending and recklessness of course).
I don't know? Somehow even when I was a kid I never expected to be able to support a family on minimum wage. You should have thought about that and because of your mistake you expect others to pick up the slack. I didn't have a thing to do with your decisions in life, whey should I be forced to pay for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:50 PM

943 posts, read 782,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
What do you consider a "basic living?" No cable, older car, no iphone, etc?
What is wrong with picking up a second job if you can't make it on one? When I was young and stupid, at one point I carried 3 jobs: 1 full time, 2 part time. It was my fault- I overspent and didn't make make enough money to pay the bills. I buckled down and ate at home, drove only to work and back, and didn't spend on anything extra until I had paid off my debt.
And if I had gotten up enough nerve to ask my parents for help, they would have laughed and told me to get a second job. I did. It didn't kill me and I learned a good lesson from the experience.
I consider poor meaning making less than $25,000-$35,000. I consider poor meaning half your income goes to housing and there is little money left over after paying for essentials--- water bill, electricity, housing, food, and such.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:54 PM

Progress on the war on poverty is always measured by how much the government is spending. The more, the better, say liberals. But a more sensible way to think about it is that the fewer people on welfare, the more people who are supporting themselves and not living off the hard working taxpayer.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Yet corporate welfare continues unabated.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
I consider poor meaning making less than $25,000. I consider poor meaning half your income goes to housing and there is little money left over after paying for essentials--- water bill, electricity, housing, food, and such.
So what do you do to earn that $25k? How much education does it take to learn your skills? How many people can do the same job as you? What skills do you have to offer that an employer would be willing to offer you a higher wage?

Old 05-23-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Progress on the war on poverty is always measured by how much the government is spending. The more, the better, say liberals. But a more sensible way to think about it is that the fewer people on welfare, the more people who are supporting themselves and not living off the hard working taxpayer.
No the progress on the war on poverty is defined by the number of people out of poverty. The poverty rate is 15%-- without welfare it would be 30%. That is a success. Now if we would raise the minimum wage and increase labor rights we could cut it down further.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Yet corporate welfare continues unabated.
Did Obama do anything to stop corporate welfare? I didn't think so. Did democrats? I didn't think so. Yep, and we in the middle are stuck supporting both so lets raise taxes so we in the middle can pay for it.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So what do you do to earn that $25k? How much education does it take to learn your skills? How many people can do the same job as you? What skills do you have to offer that an employer would be willing to offer you a higher wage?
Skill is not the only thing that sets wages. Adjusted for inflation, wages are stagnant. Adjusting for productivity, wages are stagnant. The value of unskilled workers also depends on how much they contribute to the profit of a company.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
AZ went from 2 years to 1 year.
After their 1 year they can move to CA and get another year.

TANF isn't lifetime.
Exactly. Federally, TANF has a 5 year lifetime limit. Some states have it lower.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:03 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Think really, really hard and perhaps it will come to you, Amigo.
I. E. You have no explanation at all. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies