Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It doesn't matter if they were slave-owners. They SUPPORTED the cause of slave-owning and the perpetual dehumanization of Black Americans.
Some folks up north profited from the slave trade. No one ever mentions this little fact.

US Slave: Newport, Rhode Island as a Slave Trade Center

Old 06-22-2015, 11:13 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i must be nostradamus or something. one minute after i post that the only people who defend the flag are conservative white males, a conservative white male posts defending the flag.
I am more for people understanding and having there facts straight prior to bring division to the table. This one flag is being targeted again due to a horrible shooting in SC. Why dont we focus on all the flags and fix them all. Why one?
I am a white male, so what. I am also a retired Vet, an SCV member due to my great grandfather serving i civil war as a private. He owned no slaves and was a farmer. He was told what to do and did it, along witb 3000 black confederate soldiers.
People need to get over **** and move on. The flag is on a memorial just like many other memorials throughout the country...
Freedom of speech and Statez rights....

Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 AM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Momo is fine hoisting swastika as well? After all, if have an issue with that, you have the issue with anything. Genius!
That's actually a First Amendment right.

The First Amendment protects even Nazi, Communist, and Islamic State flags - The Washington Post

Just like it's Samir Shabazz's First Amendment right to exhort Blacks to "...kill some crackers... kill some of their babies..." at a public festival in Philly.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:19 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
lets just be clear the issue here is not the issue here.

the Prog-Activists driving this are not doing so because they have and issue with the "oppression" represented by this flag.

They themselves actively oppress anyone and everyone that does not do as they are told by the Prog-Activist.

The issue here is that Prog-Activists recognize that the very best way to get one of their own elected in the next presidential cycle, is to keep black folk all ginned up and spitting mad at white people who hate them.

a confederate flag, flying at a confederate war memorial in South Carolina is proof that black people need to make sure and get to the polls in PA and other swing states.

don't be a sucker. the issue is regressive, oppressive Prog Activists doing what they do to insure that everyone thinks every white person is trying to kill all the black people.

it is not about black people. it isn't about white people and it isn't about race.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
You fly the confederate flag because you want to **** people off and thumb your nose at them. It's a sign of stunted mental age. Grow up.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You fly the confederate flag because you want to **** people off and thumb your nose at them. It's a sign of stunted mental age. Grow up.
You just dont get it. Control is the only reason leftist want it down.. read post above yours.
First Amendment and States rights. The State moved it once after all colective groups voted. A shooting and those same grouls deflect from non rioting issue, ruining there plansand agenda, so they go after the flag.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Confederate flag was the national symbol of the Confederacy.

Lots of people disagreed with the South breaking away to form a new nation.

Those people would be statists.

The hypocrisy of us declaring ourselves a free and independent state when we broke bonds with Britain and then turning around in less than one century to forbid the South doing exactly the same thing is breathtaking.

The South was militarily defeated by the North but their right to be free and independent should have never been questioned.

The South lost more than 260,000 of their young men who served under the Confederate flag.

To say the Confederacy was illegitimate because they were militarily defeated ignores our own history and what might well have been a very different outcome to the Revolutionary War.

To say the lives lost by the South fighting to be free of the North mean nothing because the North was successful in denying the South its independence is as morally reprehensible as anything ever done in the South to blacks.

Now, what is essentially a memorial to lost Southern soldiers and the South`s crushed attempt to be free of the North, is attacked as a symbol of racism at par with the swastika.

And you didn`t answer my question.
The Confederate flag WAS the flag of a territory within the United States. It was rendered irrelevant the day the South surrendered (after getting their sorry asses badly beaten). Ever since, it is completely inappropriate and wrong to fly this flag from any government office or municipality.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 AM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Relieving Tension - Video Clip | South Park Studios

Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Just for that, I'm putting mine on display! That is the reaction you intentionally provoke with such statements.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Can`t help how you feel about something.

Racist Flag - Video Clip | South Park Studios

The flag is just a couple blue stripes with stars on a red background.

If you see racism in that, you can see racism in anything.

Should we stop advertising fried chicken in Detroit or Mayonnaise in Livonia because they could be considered by some to be racist?
This is complete BS. Every flag is symbolic, especially a battle flag.

The Confederate battle flag that is so venerated now was only one of a hundred different designs, but it is a particularly striking flag, one that is entirely different than our national colors.

You can help how you feel about anything and everything. You do it all the time, as do I and everyone else.

Often, by dropping a symbol that was once venerated is enough to create a permanent change of feelings. That's why former neo-Nazis who are intent on leaving their past behind will have a swastika tattoo removed, or why a picture of a former spouse is tossed in the trash.

Flags are not pieces of common cloth. Nor are they advertisements. Any flag is potently a visceral and ancient symbol of a person or a nation's beliefs, territory, culture, and deepest feelings, good and bad.

That's why Dylann Storm Roof took a picture of himself drooling spit on American flag while stepping on it with one foot. That was no bed sheet he was spitting on- it was our National Emblem. The picture was full to the brim of symbolic rage.

I've never seen a pissed off redneck yet who flew a Happy Face flag in front of his house.

If the Confederate flag meant nothing to you at all, why did you protest its potential disappearance so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies