Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
They didn't even wait for the threatened boycott.
Smart corps project consequences and react accordingly.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Smart corps project consequences and react accordingly.
Or maybe progressive corporations make kneejerk reactions accordingly.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I'm sure the network weighed the benefits of continuing the show and decided from a business standpoint it was not worth the risk to continue to air it. This cancellation is about money, not political correctness. Enough with the mock outrage.
no one has been able to prove that. And if that's the case then they should at least admit or claim it instead of sending a political statement by quickly banning the dukes. But it's been proven that the decision to ban the Dukes was strongly disagreed with in polls. They assume a risk by taking sides. The show was on already and they took sides.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Or maybe progressive corporations make kneejerk reactions accordingly.
Record earnings tell me corps are well run.

If you want to affect change, first, regions where this show gets an ok rating must have enough GDP to make their market meaningful.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 07-02-2015 at 11:56 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Record earnings tell me corps are well run. Much smarter than the Bubba watching idiotic shows long off the air.

If you want to affect change, first, Bubbaville must have enough GDP to make their market meaningful.
Your post is insulting. You don't have to be a "Bubba" in "Bubbaville" to like the Dukes or to dislike political correct and bannings by progressive corporations taking sides. Most of the people a tiny ,dinky group calling the Dukes racist are the low class low income.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Your post is insulting. You don't have to be a "Bubba" in "Bubbaville" to like the Dukes or to dislike political correct and bannings by progressive corporations taking sides. Most of the people calling the Dukes racist are the low class low income.
It is not meant for that at all. I lived in Tn 17 years, and took no offense when Huckabee coined the term. It's just another nickname.

First, again, Bubbaville is Mike Huckabee's term.(he coined it a few months ago). The link is below.

Living in Bubbleville & Bubbaville - CNN Video

It is also a common nickname in the south. I don't view it as an insult. Huckabee doesn't either.

Most importantly, corps respond to $, and red state median incomes are lower than blue states (particularly non urban MTSA). That means losing any market share from them has little affect, and truthfully, a show this old in syndication is hardly an economic engine anyway. No doubt, that made pulling it an easy decision.

If this show depended mainly on high income viewers, you can bet any network would be likely to run it. $ talk in America. Always have, always will.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 07-03-2015 at 12:02 AM..

Old 07-03-2015, 12:00 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,463 times
Quote:
no one has been able to prove that. And if that's the case then they should at least admit or claim it instead of sending a political statement by quickly banning the dukes. But it's been proven that the decision to ban the Dukes was strongly disagreed with in polls. They assume a risk by taking sides. The show was on already and they took sides.
Nor have you proven that the network is taking sides. The network has made no statement either way. But considering the show's age and what I'm sure is a small revenue stream from it, they decided that pulling the show was the more cautious approach. The network owes no one an explanation as to their motivations for doing so. There is no difference in what TV Land did and what Wal-Mart did.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Nor have you proven that the network is taking sides. The network has made no statement either way. But considering the show's age and what I'm sure is a small revenue stream from it, they decided that pulling the show was the more cautious approach. The network owes no one an explanation as to their motivations for doing so. There is no difference in what TV Land did and what Wal-Mart did.

A network pulled WKRP a while ago..a show I liked. Just another old show not generating much $$$$$.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:10 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Talk about political correctness in the extreme.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/dukes-haz...150101689.html

I've already said that I don't think that the Confederate Flag should be flown on government grounds, just in case anybody believes that I am some far-right crazy who celebrates Dixie. This action by TV land, in particular, is just an egregious whitewashing of history. And people need to remember that "The Dukes of Hazzard" was a show that never employed any hint of racism. Furthermore, we need to look at the context of the times this show as made; back in 1979-85, placing the Confederate Flag on merchandise and props didn't have nearly the racially-charged stigma that it now has.

If we have become a hyper-sensitive society, then this same "logic" would require the networks to ban any movie that featured a shot of the Twin Towers.
I tend to agree.
For every hysteric over-action, there is an equal and opposite over-reaction. A law apparent in both physics and politics. Either one kills people.

But I think in the case of Dukes of Hazzard, the series had been syndicated so long and the episodes seen so many times, and was so 70s dated, that it wasn't making the close to the money it once did, and the painted flag on the roof of the car was more an excuse to get out of the contract early than a noble reason to decry racism. Entertainment industry cynicism at its finest. All it accomplishes is a slightly more profitable ending to a shortened contract while cheapening the deeply necessary public debate slightly.

Your absolutely correct; the show was never controversial in the least. At best, it was must a simple mishmash of a then-poular genre of B movies that all involved redneck road racers pitted against simpleton police forces, just all cleaned up and toned way down for television.
The movies made Burt Reynolds rich, and kept Clint Eastwood going strong in a career low point. And paid for Evel Kneival's, hospital bills. And the TV series, when fresh, did pretty good, too.

Nobody is eager to wait in line to see any of it any more.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike;40265330.

[B
But I think in the case of Dukes of Hazzard, the series had been syndicated so long and the episodes seen so many times, and was so 70s dated, that it wasn't making the close to the money it once did, and the painted flag on the roof of the car was more an excuse to get out of the contract early than a noble reason to decry racism[/b]. .
In general, the 70s featured either thought-provoking comedy (Norman Lear) or frivolous stuff like Dukes, Three's Company, Happy days. I doubt there is much market for either extreme anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies