Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,543,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well no, not absurd at all.

Race is a biological construct. It is also a social and cultural one too.

Humans, like plants, fish, birds, and other mammals- all living things really- are products of where they are located on Earth.

Plants in the tropics differ from plants in the Tundra. Marsupials in Australia differ from those in North America. You get the idea.

Now, all of this sniping about it? You would be correct= absurd.
There is no biological basis for dividing humans up into different "races". Your assertion is just flatly false.

It is entirely a social construct. We made this divisive idea up. And by understanding that there is no legitimate scientific, genetic, biological basis for the idea that humans are divided up into different races, we can eventually end the perpetuation of this odious idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:19 AM

13,669 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
There is no biological basis for dividing humans up into different "races". Your assertion is just flatly false.

It is entirely a social construct. We made this divisive idea up. And by understanding that there is no legitimate scientific, genetic, biological basis for the idea that humans are divided up into different races, we can eventually end the perpetuation of this odious idea.
Of course there is.

People from different parts of the world all have different features, body types, etc. Add to that culture, traditions, norms, nationalities, religion, etc and there you get your differences, so to speak.

Nobody made it up. It is a natural, organic process and it is still going on.

It is when people use those simple differences for ignoble ends that it becomes odious.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 AM

63,059 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Um, the US is a land of immigrants, and always has been. And considering that birthrates in the US are now nearly as low as almost every other Western nation, it will continue to be a land of immigrants. It ain't changing any time soon.

As for heritage, one need only look at a map of the United States or of any state or county to see ample evidence of its strong English, Scottish, Spanish, French, and Native American heritage. They are reflected in place names all over the country (ever heard of New York? Los Angeles? New Jersey? New Orleans? New Mexico? Michigan? Iowa? Hawaii? I could go on, but I"m sure you get it). These cultural influences are so evident in many aspects of life in the US that they are kind of invisible. No one really thinks about it.

So to suggest that "American" is a single-layered culture is, um, interesting.
Pure nonsense. Our citizen population way outnumbers any immigrant population in this country. We are a nation of Americans now. Just because we still allow in immigrants (just as many countries do) does not make us a land of immigrants today.

We are a melting pot of those nationalities and cultures. However, we do have an identifying culture and language and the rest are all just minority cultures. "Out of many, "one".

Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,450,509 times
Since my parents came here from Lichtenstein, I wonder if I could call myself a "Lichtenstein American"..? too Hubristic perhaps?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 AM

13,669 posts, read 20,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Since my parents came here from Lichtenstein, I wonder if I could call myself a "Lichtenstein American"..? too Hubristic perhaps?
German-American, although I wonder why your parents left there/

Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
We generally leave the "American" part out of the description. I have been referred to as "German" for most of my life even if half my genes are Welsh origin.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,594,166 times
Default Why don't We Call White People English American or Irish or German....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Why are we only focusing our PC on "black" people, why not "white" people? What is a "white" person? If we are going to call black people African American even though they have no African cultural, why not call white people English or Irish or German or Polish or whatever "new" or "old" immigrant country they cam from American?

As a matter of fact since all people originally came from African, why don't we call everyone African American, why just black people?

When do we draw the line of African American people in the U.S.? 400 years removed or 10,000 years removed?

What do you want to be called "white" people? I have never seen a white person before? I have seen some "black" people before, but never a "white" person.

I'm going to start calling all "white" people European Americans...... I think they should be reminded where they are from as well as Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, and African African Americans......... You never here Armenian American, Italian American, Russian American, German American......so European American is appropriate no?

Knock yerself out.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
It's the government fault that we identify race

Wow! It is truly frightening how some people think on CD....truly frightening.
You changed my words, but nice try.

It is truly frightening how some people think on CD....... and cannot read.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
We do call white people Irish or German or Polish or Italian or whatever. It's just that when we do nobody whines about it so maybe you don't notice. And I'm talking about WITHOUT the "American" I have no idea how many times I've heard an Italian person, born in America, call themselves "Italian" or an Irish person callling themselves "Irish"
I have lots of white friends and have never called them by their ancestry country and have never heard them call themselves that. In fact, I don't even know where most of them are from. It's not an issue with me.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.
Tell that to the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies