Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 11:45 PM

755 posts, read 675,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Apparently you can't read - even what you yourself just posted:

"especially black African ancestors".

The meaning is what the meaning is - and anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that "African-American" means "Black" (in whole or in part" - hence the "especially black African ancestors". The census also uses a similar definition:

" The terms “Black” and “Black or African American”
are used interchangeably in this report"

https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/...c2010br-06.pdf

Ken
So you just exclude the part that says "Any American with African Ancestors?" How convenient. See that's the difference between you and I, I used the ENTIRE definition. Again, where does it say race?

Dude you have absolutely no credibility here.....zero.

You can make yourself believe a Stop sign is white, because it has white trim....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
WRONG! African American is BLACK

African-American | Definition of African-American by Merriam-Webster

And no that is not the definition of race as described by the census dept. By their definition GERMAN-AMERICAN is NOT a "race". Black and African-American are generally considered to be one and the same.

About

Ken
I'll ask again:

If African-American means black, and only black, and it refers exclusively to a race...

Then what term do you use for white people who were born in Africa and moved to the USA to receive citizenship? What term do you use for white people whose parents were white, lived in Africa, and moved to the USA to receive citizenship and raise their white child of white-African ancestry?

Or do you not acknowledge the fact that there are millions of people born and raised in Africa who are white?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:29 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
The majority of whites are not of a collective mindset. America was founded in individuality and as much as progressives try to destroy that foundation individuality still reigns in the majority of white males.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
SMH....Get over it people. African American as a term isn't going anywhere and we're (the black folks that like the term) not gonna stop using it....EVER.

If you don't like it, take a Tylenol and drink a tall glass of water so you don't choke. Actually, DON'T drink that water, but take a triple dose of Tylenol.

And black folks....PLEASE stop arguing with white people about it. Give 'em the gas face and point them in the opposite direction. This whole discussion needs to end, and black people don't need to explain this anymore nor do we owe anyone an explanation.
You act like a white person started this thread.......now who needs the Tylenol or to get over it!

Too bad more people born in America are not proud to be just American.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'll ask again:

If African-American means black, and only black, and it refers exclusively to a race...

Then what term do you use for white people who were born in Africa and moved to the USA to receive citizenship? What term do you use for white people whose parents were white, lived in Africa, and moved to the USA to receive citizenship and raise their white child of white-African ancestry?

Or do you not acknowledge the fact that there are millions of people born and raised in Africa who are white?
By this logic Mitt Romney is the son of a Mexican American?

'Romney was born to American parents living in the Mormon colonies in Mexico"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Romney

Old 07-08-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You act like a white person started this thread.......now who needs the Tylenol or to get over it!

Too bad more people born in America are not proud to be just American.
Exactly.... I am an American who is black.

African American is just so silly....why? Because it doesn't make rational sense.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post

African American is just so silly....why? Because it doesn't make rational sense.

If you needed a marrow or liver transplant a Dr. wouldn’t go Willy Nelly and find another black person to find a match. There are people I’ve seen in Malaysia who for all practical purposes look like Black people with Afros but their DNA is more closely related to Oceanic people than Africans. Most of us go through the day without having to be reminded of “what “ were are over “who” we are but in critical matters relating to science, what we are matters more. Essentially the argument is over who we are vs. what we are.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post

It can also be argued that describing "melanin-blessed" folks as "black" doesn't make rational sense. Thirty years ago, psychologist Halford H. Fairchild presented a pretty decent case for using "African American" in an article entitled "Black, Negro, or Afro-American?" Here's a link to a PDF of the article…
http://bernard.pitzer.edu/~hfairchi/...roAfroAmer.pdf

Of course, Fairchild's work was influenced somewhat by "nigrescence theory" first promulgated by psychologist William E. Cross, Jr. way back in 1971 and subsequently revised in 1991.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...etalJMCD01.pdf

By 2000, psychologists and other social scientists used "African American" and "Black" (note the capital "B") interchangeably. And, that has been the "status quo" for the past 15 years.
http://pzacad.pitzer.edu/~hfairchi/p...nPsychEncy.pdf

In keeping with the usage of "African American," some scholars have adopted the use of "European American" to describe "melanin-challenged" folks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_American

Old 07-08-2015, 12:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Ha! Melanin-challenged made me laugh. I resemble that remark, a deficiency that becomes all the more apparent during the long days of summer at altitude. On the flip side, I have excellent Vitamin D levels.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It can also be argued that describing "melanin-blessed" folks as "black" doesn't make rational sense. Thirty years ago, psychologist Halford H. Fairchild presented a pretty decent case for using "African American" in an article entitled "Black, Negro, or Afro-American?" Here's a link to a PDF of the article…
http://bernard.pitzer.edu/~hfairchi/...roAfroAmer.pdf

Of course, Fairchild's work was influenced somewhat by "nigrescence theory" first promulgated by psychologist William E. Cross, Jr. way back in 1971 and subsequently revised in 1991.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...etalJMCD01.pdf

By 2000, psychologists and other social scientists used "African American" and "Black" (note the capital "B") interchangeably. And, that has been the "status quo" for the past 15 years.
http://pzacad.pitzer.edu/~hfairchi/p...nPsychEncy.pdf

In keeping with the usage of "African American," some scholars have adopted the use of "European American" to describe "melanin-challenged" folks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_American
I am okay with being called brown.....that's my color. You can even differentiate the shade if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies