Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:09 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times

Advertisements

Since the Charleston shooting I’ve found myself being pushed more and more to the right. It’s odd for me because I’ve always been a moderate (even liberal on some issues). But I’m a 57 year old Southern Woman who is proud of my heritage. Because of that I’ve been labeled a racist, a traitor and a Nazi (by implication) by folks on the internet who don’t anything about me but what I’ve just mentioned. And suddenly I see it – the hatred of many (not going to generalize and say “all”) on the left for anything they disagree with and/or don’t understand. People who lash out and name call based on a knee-jerk reactions and little real knowledge either of the people they are attacking or the history they seem to think they are experts on. Indeed, these people have managed to turn not only today’s Southerners, but all, into one-dimensional racist buffoons. History is a lot more complicated than that because it’s made by real people – who are complicated.

I have a degree in history and I’ve studied US history from Colonial times through Vietnam. The history of slavery goes back hundreds of years. The sectional differences of the US states began before the ink was dry on the Constitution. It can’t be boiled down to a soundbite. And calling people names only demonstrates a lack of any but the most superficial knowledge of the history of the US, but also a rabid refusal to do more than cast stones from some kind of self righteous Neverland. From the flag, to the monuments, to the Dukes of Hazzard – it’s just too much. And it has caused more division than the shooting that started this ever could have. People came together after that in support and shock. Then it dwindled into attacks on heritage and charges of racism – toward people who not only didn’t support Roof, but were outraged at his actions. It has succeeded not only in division, but in the alienation of people like myself who find they have had all the insults and misjudgment they can take.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Grow a thicker skin and put stuff in perspective!! I mean seriously. The Dukes of Hazzard? A corporation having cancelled that show (how many even watched it by the way?) is helping to cause more division than a shooting that caused 9 innocent people their lives? Come on!!!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:15 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Grow a thicker skin.
she obviously is
Quote:
I’ve found myself being pushed more and more to the right

Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
OP, this is a serious question. Exactly what is the southern heritage that the Confederate Flag represents to you?

Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Your "heritage" is one of racism. Everyone else in the free world gets that. Time to step out of the muck & admit it.
And all your ancestors were perfect angels who did no wrong?

Geez!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Your "heritage" is one of racism. Everyone else in the free world gets that. Time to step out of the muck & admit it.
The beginning of slavery in the USA was Boston. And they flew the flag of the USA.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Since the Charleston shooting I’ve found myself being pushed more and more to the right.

I’ve been labeled a racist, a traitor and a Nazi (by implication) by folks on the internet
You make political decisions based on what people say about you online. Maybe this is what's wrong with America.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
And yours? Are you even vaguely aware of how slavery started in the USA? No? That's what I thought.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
A huge percentage of the left is proudly bigoted towards Southern white people and their culture, and Christians who try to live according to the teachings of the Bible.

The only way to take diminish this onslaught of lynch-mob style bigotry from the left is to start calling them out on it. Shaming them if that is the popular way to say it now. And of course they should be ashamed. Also, if they are honestly and publicly called out on this enough times, the tide will begin to recede. But as long as people like you go with the politically correct flow and just refuse to say anything, it will continue unabated, and likely even get worse.

I am glad you have seen the light. Great post, and thanks for speaking up about this important subject.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The beginning of slavery in the USA was Boston. And they flew the flag of the USA.
You purposely are not getting it. Te south went to war partially to protect slavery. That is why many see the confederacy as racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies