Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Should there be an affirmative action program for slots on NBA teams for token whites who can't jump??
There ought to be one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Or the NHL, or Soccer, or Lacrosse, or Tennis, or Polo, or Rowing,or Gymnastics, or skiing, or competitive sailing, or auto racing, or, or, or....we can go all day with the non-diversity examples.

So why exactly would the OP single out the NBA for lack of diversity?

Lemme think...what's so different about the NBA...hmmm....can't put my finger on it.

Why anyone would have a problem with a bunch of millionaire black dudes making billions for a bunch of white dudes escapes me.

But then, the Confederate flag flap continues to be the source of so much anger these days for Conservatives and they're throwing all kinds of poop at the wall in hopes that it'll stick.
Because NBA is racist!!!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:50 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
I've heard plenty of discussion about diversity in the NBA, NFL and other pro sports. But, the discussion is centered around diversity of ownership, coaching staff and management. My question is when you look at the level of diversity in any business, should you not include ALL employees? Seems disingenuous to complain if you don't.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I've heard plenty of discussion about diversity in the NBA, NFL and other pro sports. But, the discussion is centered around diversity of ownership, coaching staff and management. My question is when you look at the level of diversity in any business, should you not include ALL employees? Seems disingenuous to complain if you don't.
If we have to include all employees, then the discussion should be centered around wage equality. Why should the players make so much more than a janitor?

Old 07-14-2015, 11:00 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
White dudes can't jump.

Well except those Eastern European dudes.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I'm offended because their aren't any short people in the NBA. It just makes me cry to surf past an NBA game and see all of those giants. I demand height diversity. Short power! Short power!

Old 07-14-2015, 11:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm offended because their aren't any short people in the NBA. It just makes me cry to surf past an NBA game and see all of those giants. I demand height diversity. Short power! Short power!
Short people got no reason, short people got no reason, little hands, litle eyes, little cars that go beep beep beep.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What are they afraid of? Why is this not in the news?

http://www.tidesport.org/The%202015%...ort%20Card.pdf

"Those who identified themselves as African-Americans or Black comprised 74.4 percent of all NBA players while 76.7 percent of players were people of color."

Interestingly, I had to scroll to the last page to read this.
Lol, this is the best thinking that conservatives can come up with.

Do conservatives believe that the nearly 100% white male owners of NBA teams are keeping other men out of the NBA? Nah.

The conservative point is to say just because there is a lack of racial diversity, that doesn't prove discrimination, but what conservatives fail to account for is the reality of the world.

The NBA is run by white men, they are the team owners. The team executives, the team coaches.

This means in order to establish discrimination in favor of black players, one would have to believe that white male owners were willing to hire white male team executives, white male team head coaches, white male team staff members but not white male players.

The owners would tell their white male team executives to discriminate in favor of black men and against other white dudes. This of course makes zero sense.

If the NBA was run by black men, owned by black men, if most of the jobs went to black men that would be akin to reality based claims of racial discrimination in the real world.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
It's a lack of principle. I think most people contradict themselves in some way or another, so I don't want to only pick on left-wingers, but a lot of egalitarian ideas directly contradict themselves.

John Rawls is the guy best known for the whole "equality" philosophy and so many ideas we hear today are based on his writing, but his reasoning is far from consistent. It sounds good on the surface, but when you look into it there are a bunch of problems.

I may even start a thread on this at some point because it's really interesting.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
White dudes can't jump.

Well except those Eastern European dudes.
They can't either. But they can shoot their asses off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies