Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 AM

78,418 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Or the NHL, or Soccer, or Lacrosse, or Tennis, or Polo, or Rowing,or Gymnastics, or skiing, or competitive sailing, or auto racing, or, or, or....we can go all day with the non-diversity examples.

So why exactly would the OP single out the NBA for lack of diversity?

Lemme think...what's so different about the NBA...hmmm....can't put my finger on it.

Why anyone would have a problem with a bunch of millionaire black dudes making billions for a bunch of white dudes escapes me.

But then, the Confederate flag flap continues to be the source of so much anger these days for Conservatives and they're throwing all kinds of poop at the wall in hopes that it'll stick.
Actually, I think it's an honest indictment of disparate impact theory.

You have people that apply disparate impact in real life to bring lawsuits, to asses claims of racism and levy fines and penalties.

Now, the motivation of the OP is of course unknown but perhaps by accident they do raise a valid point about how seeing a racial distribution that doesn't match the population should not automatically be proof of racial discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
because as always some live for stirring the pot as always. Maybe why we see the education rankings dropping; the goal is wrong. Like most thing it does not effect those who can pay their way. They pay for and demand better. They could careless about sports as long as it rakes in the money.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
I love the way some folks create this notion of a monolithic class of liberals who all subscribe to some kind of ten commandments of political thought.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, I think it's an honest indictment of disparate impact theory.

You have people that apply disparate impact in real life to bring lawsuits, to asses claims of racism and levy fines and penalties.

Now, the motivation of the OP is of course unknown but perhaps by accident they do raise a valid point about how seeing a racial distribution that doesn't match the population should not automatically be proof of racial discrimination.
I know the motivation of the OP quite well. It's not unknown at all.

However, i agree with you to a point, but why single out the NBA? I can easily name tons of sports that aren't diverse whatsoever.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I can easily name tons of sports that aren't diverse whatsoever.
Yep, like Women's Soccer.

I want to watch the best basketball played by the best athletes. If Korean Jews all of the sudden start shooting like Steph and have 40" vertical leaps, then that's who I'm watching.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Many Tech companies are not making much headway diversifying its workforce beyond white and Asian men, even though the Internet company like google hired women to fill one out of every five of its openings for computer programmers and other high-paying technology jobs last year.

I think white and Asian men earned their position in tech companies, just like black men earned it in NBA.

maybe this is the point op was trying to make.

p.s. I played waterpolo in college, and most girls were taller than average, it is what it is.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:40 PM

847 posts, read 767,065 times
There is plenty of diversity in the NBA

Just look at the front office and the coaching staff.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many Tech companies are not making much headway diversifying its workforce beyond white and Asian men, even though the Internet company like google hired women to fill one out of every five of its openings for computer programmers and other high-paying technology jobs last year.

I think white and Asian men earned their position in tech companies, just like black men earned it in NBA.

maybe this is the point op was trying to make.

p.s. I played waterpolo in college, and most girls were taller than average, it is what it is.
But that's an illogical comparison. There are a few hundred spots in the NBA.

The NBA isn't run by black men. These dynamics change everything.

This means a small group of very tall men, playing a pro sport run by white men.

Doesn't compare to our economy and 100's of millions of jobs or an industry with millions of jobs where we see consistent patterns of racial disparity against a group of Americans that we know for a fact faced racial discrimination for most of this nation's history as official government policy.

I mean can we be just a little reality based and honest when discussing these issues.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:50 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What are they afraid of? Why is this not in the news?

http://www.tidesport.org/The%202015%...ort%20Card.pdf

"Those who identified themselves as African-Americans or Black comprised 74.4 percent of all NBA players while 76.7 percent of players were people of color."

Interestingly, I had to scroll to the last page to read this.
I'm pretty liberal, but what's the problem here? The best players are black, most people who watch the NBA are black, what's there to talk about?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:58 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I'm pretty liberal, but what's the problem here? The best players are black, most people who watch the NBA are black, what's there to talk about?
Disparate Impact, the 80% Rule, etc.

Let it be known that I have no problem with the makeup of the NBA as it currently stands. I like Basketball the race, creed, religion or sexual preferences of the people I watch play is of no consequence to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies