Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:47 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is that a question? What about affirmative action? Is that constitutional?
Generally a sentence ending with a question mark indicates that the sentence is a question.

What do you mean by "affirmative action?" (see the question mark at the end...) Quotas were part and parcel to many "affirmative action" plans which when voluntarily established were determined to be unconstitutional. The current standard for what constitutes a constitutionally acceptable "affirmative action" program is complicated to say the least with a number of Court decisions allowing such programs in certain specific instances and disallowing them all together in others.

The bottom line is, unless you can establish a history of deliberate racial discrimination against white for no other reason than their race, the Court would be rather disinclined to see the constitutionality of such a program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 01:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Ok, well it's the 3rd most popular in the U.S, so too bad. I work in sports merch, so pretty much everyone I come into contact with is a a sports fanatic.

9/10 watch the NFL
8/10 watch MLB
8/10 watch NCAA football
6/10 watch NCAA basketball
4/10 watch NHL
2/10 watch NBA

maybe it's popular in other parts of the world, but here MLB and NFL are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger, and here in Michigan the NHL is way bigger.
The NFL , YEAH...it's bigger.

Proportionately, MLB is not bigger than the NBA. Not even close. NBA stars are bigger names than baseball stars and get far bigger endorsements too. A second tier NBA player is a bigger star in the sports culture than a first tier MLB star.

Baseball stadiums are half empty most of the time. Without the TV deals, MLB would be on life support. It's the only sports league in this country that needs foreign players to replenish its talent pool.

Baseball is pretty much dead in this country. It's no longer the national pastime.

And hockey isn't bigger than basketball in Michigan. That's nonsense. I'm a huge Red Wings fan...have been all my life. But there's a reason why hockey is played on some cable channel that you can barely find, while the NBA is on primetime.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:58 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Baseball is the thinking man's game. Yep, it is in decline. Not many of us thinkers left.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know the motivation of the OP quite well. It's not unknown at all.

However, i agree with you to a point, but why single out the NBA? I can easily name tons of sports that aren't diverse whatsoever.
Yep.

I agree, it could be the NBA or a host of other sports.

I just find it interesting because I've previously commented on how when I go to math competitions in the area and athletic camps that I have seen for youths....the racial demographics are STARKLY different.

Fast forward and you see these same skewed demographics in both sports and professional programs.

However, whenever there is a story about a lack of certain ethnic groups especially in STEM fields (NPR was talking about it just this morning) that they were "kept out" but in sports it's the way it is because it's a meritocracy.

I just find that argument insulting. Steph Curry didn't learn to shoot like that without thousands of hours in the gym. Meanwhile you have lawsuits about too many Asians in NY magnet highschools and so forth as if being strong academically is somehow a random, accidental process but sports skills are not.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
NFL has 68% of Black. How is that diversified?

"68%
With 1155 players, the black population of the NFL runs away with a 68% majority. In a distant second are the 470 white players who make up 28% of the league. The following three racial categories, Other, Asian/Pacific Islander and Hispanic, make up a combined 4.36% of the league.Sep 23, 2014"

NFL Census: Data on Players’ Race, Weight & Height | Heavy.com
"me lifeexplorer, me no good at read"

...seriously dude, in response to someone laughing at me for saying only black people WATCH the NBA (they claimed it was the 2nd most popular sport to watch in the world) I responded with why it wasn't the most popular in the US, in fact that it's the least where I'm from. Did this deviate from the OP's initial prompt? Yes, but seriously learn how to read something before you get all butthurt.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:33 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Baseball is the thinking man's game. Yep, it is in decline. Not many of us thinkers left.
I suppose just blaming "people getting stupider" is a convenient and easy alternative to recognizing that professional baseball has had a string of serious problems like imbalanced run-away payrolls, steroids, players not sticking with a team, huge influx of foreign players and let us not forget....the year they quit mid-season. A lot of baseballs decline has been self-inflicted.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The NFL , YEAH...it's bigger.

Proportionately, MLB is not bigger than the NBA. Not even close. NBA stars are bigger names than baseball stars and get far bigger endorsements too. A second tier NBA player is a bigger star in the sports culture than a first tier MLB star.

Baseball stadiums are half empty most of the time. Without the TV deals, MLB would be on life support. It's the only sports league in this country that needs foreign players to replenish its talent pool.

Baseball is pretty much dead in this country. It's no longer the national pastime.

And hockey isn't bigger than basketball in Michigan. That's nonsense. I'm a huge Red Wings fan...have been all my life. But there's a reason why hockey is played on some cable channel that you can barely find, while the NBA is on primetime.
Well the in my experience with people (granted this is 20-60 year old middle-upper class white males) NBA is by faaar the least popular. I just don't know a single person who watches the NBA, while pretty much every single person I know watches the NFL and the MLB.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:36 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I suppose just blaming "people getting stupider" is a convenient and easy alternative to recognizing that professional baseball has had a string of serious problems like imbalanced run-away payrolls, steroids, players not sticking with a team, huge influx of foreign players and let us not forget....the year they quit mid-season. A lot of baseballs decline has been self-inflicted.
Not to mention how the "thinking men" of baseball missed the whole steroid era. Genius, one and all.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Should there be an affirmative action program for slots on NBA teams for token whites who can't jump??
Oh hell NO and, I'm a white dude. So the NBA's mostly "Black", big deal. It's because the players can play and play well.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:10 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I played baseball and there wasn't a hell of a lot of thinking required.

Ball thrown, ball hit, ball caught, ball thrown... not exactly rocket science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies