Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
running from the police (while posing no major threat) is not a capitol offense. that does not warrant a shot to the head. to think so is ridiculous and dangerous. really think about that.

the perp was just creating a bigger legal case against himself by attempting to flee. the "cop" should have realized that. instead he didn't like his authority being challenged and felt the only way to neutralize the situation was with a bullet.

he was wrong.

I blame the training he got. I also don't think he reflects the majority of LEO. who really knows what type of training Uni cops get after all.

I predict he will be found guilty. maybe not of murder, but something.
Running from a police stop may not be a capital offence but it sure can get you killed. I'm not saying the Cop wasn't at fault, he will pay the price but the other guy played his part in his death too.

Last edited by Roaddog; 07-30-2015 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
This is why you comply with police. You may be shot dead if you dont.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
What they have is a statement by the officer that he fired because his arm was caught in the cars window and he was being dragged down the street!

The problem is, at least to me, is that when he went to pull the victim out of the car. The prosecution seems to be of the position that while trying to do whatever it was he was doing, he pulled his weapon, pointed at the drivers head and pulled the trigger. The only possible excuse is that he thought the driver was reaching for a weapon. Unfortunately for the officer he wasn't worried when the driver reached into the glove compartment, he wasn't worried when the driver reached under the seat to retrieve a liquor bottle, and he wasn't worried when the driver again reached upon his seat to pretend to look for his drivers license. From what I can see, the officer only pulled his weapon when the driver restarted his car and looked like he was going to make a run for it.
While I don't agree with what the cop did I have to ask...when did he reach into the glove compartment and under the seat for a liquor bottle? If that shaky video is what cops are wearing as cameras we are in for a world of caca. Everyone should get a GoPro.

That clip was brief and incomplete; what else did the court go on?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
This is why you comply with police. You may be shot dead if you dont.
This is why people are protesting. This sort of thinking needs to stop.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:04 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
running from the police (while posing no major threat) is not a capitol offense. that does not warrant a shot to the head.
But maybe driving away from the scene when somehow the policeman got his arm trapped in the car and then not stopping when ordered to and then finally getting shot by the cop who is running along side the car because his arm is stuck somehow may get you killed. This is similar to what the policeman claims and certainly a possible scenario from the videos.
A murder charge will be very hard to prove in this case unless there are other videos showing something I don't see or if slow speed analysis of the body cam footage shows more.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
It also proves that no matter what happens the so-called good cops will automatically back up the bad cops. This cop lied about being dragged by the car and not one other cop questioned his BS story. If the video had not been available, the innocent man would have been blamed for his own murder while the killer was praised as a hero. I assume that pretty much every cop is a scumbag or at least willing to protect the ones that are, they are the largest most dangerous criminal gang in the United States. I am sure they appreciate people like you licking their jackboots though.

Put them in line behind the elected crooks and their armed muscle. Ever see a Capitol Policeman or Secret Service agent in action? They are some over reacting A-holes on the level of "Judge Dredd".

What happened here? They shot her dead so no one knows. I would venture to say she was scared for her life. No guns or bombs were found in the car - just a baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLKLRb8zf2A

Old 07-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is why people are protesting. This sort of thinking needs to stop.
Protesting is cool. Rioting looting and arson is not.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It's amazing. We see a video of a cop do something completely unjustified( whether it was stupidity, disregard for human life or panic or all of the above) and all the haters and racists see is " white cop kills black man". Thank God the rest of us can look past race and discuss this case on the higher level it deserves.
I've said before " Idiots collide with tragedy where normal people would have avoided trouble." That goes for this case. You had a gung ho cop throwing his weight around who went out of his way to pull someone over, albeit legitimately. The driver makes a move to drive off and it clicks in this cops head that that is an aggressive threatening move and he's all to eager to shoot. Stupiditiy, poor training, panic, bloodlust. The first three are the most likely, the fourth is less so and harder to prove unless something in his service record turns up. What is harder still to prove, and hasn't had any evidence of happening is racism on the part of the cop. but again, the haters jumped right to that first.
Now the dead man WAS an idiot. He shares some of the blame but he didn't deserve to be shot. Driving away because he had no insurance or a valid license at best rates him a rap upside his empty noggin or a taser to his groin. Maybe a police dog chowing down on him if he led the police on a high speed chase and endangered others. I'd say with his police record and 10 kids he deserved a rap upside his empty noggin even if he wasn't pulled over.
Idiots who think the law doesn't apply to them and who have concept of how to act get into confrontations with like minded people who happen to wear uniforms or hold office. Its hard to pick a side.
Great post. Seeing it from all angles.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
Now that I have stepped into the building, shall we begin? Grab a seat if you will...

#1- the police officer was dead wrong and it was a reactionary mistake based off of not enough reactive training. He should suffer his consequences.

#2- people drive off or run away because people react to stress differently. police create undue tension (not always on purpose) and causes people to freak out. The police have to observe signs and try to deescalate before the person flees.

#3- the public is now a doctor, police, lawyers, tv host, athletes, artists, singers. The public is experts at everything but in reality have no clue. I can't go to your job and start trying to define your policies and procedures. The public should stop because they are doing a bad job. Stick to your job.

#4- you have a job, a police/doctor/lawyer have jobs. You audit for a living, the others have the power to save or take life and or freedom away. An auditor's mistake will result in financial loss or otherwise. A doctor's, police, and lawyer's mistake will result in loss of liberty and or life. We are human and make mistakes- remember that.

#5- the officer is a campus patrol officer. he should have received street patrol training more regularly due to the difference in tempo. Campus police is night and day compared to street patrol. You become complacent. When you don't use it, you lose it. If a surgeon doesn't practice, he/she loses their steady hand and people die or suffer permanent losses....

#6 even though I am not giving this officer a pass, people don't get this logic and want to keep their wall because it makes them feeeeeeel good to be shady experts.

#7 when most people make mistakes, they point the finger..... Cops are human and will do the same but most people don't get this logic because they are shady experts. You took a box of chicken home and you know you shouldn't. Stop trying to measure morality because a wrong is a wrong.

#7 black or white or yellow, get your ****e together and carry your credentials and stop giving attitude. This way, you won't have a reason to run.

#9 cops- you need to start reading people better. As soon as you have to ask for license more than 3 times, you know what is coming. Be smart and change the subject and calm the person down.

#10 I am black and I don't give a what of what you think. Black folk in the hood will not change so you will always have these cats getting hemmed up over some dumb ish...

#11- I purposely doubled up on #7

Old 07-30-2015, 05:15 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
What gets me is whenever a white cop commits a bad shoot of a black suspect, they rush to call it murder and prosecute and the media reports extensively. But if a black cop does a bad shoot nothing happens.

I saw a video a few months back of a black cop shoot 9 times and killing a black passenger for getting out of the car. It really wasn't much different from this case or Slager. But you never heard anything about it and I bet the officer wasn't even disciplined let alone prosecuted for murder.

NJ cops shoot 9 times, kill black man who had his hands up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew4A5-CoVX4

Last edited by mtl1; 07-30-2015 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies