Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 11:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
So much information. PC is wild. Some people who are from Africa and live in America cannot say they are African-Americans, and some people who have never lived in Africa can say they are African-American, and some immigrants coming from other nations in the Americas that had slavery but not from Africa can say they are African-American.
Star bellied sneetches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true. Born in Africa and living in America = African American. However, most people mean "USA" when they say "America".

No, they are African Americans.
Technically, Africans of European ancestry with U.S. citizenship are "European African Americans." Of course, one could choose to ignore the obvious European heritage of these folks from assorted African countries and simply refer to them as "White African Americans."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...opean_ancestry

Old 08-05-2015, 11:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not a fact, but using your logic Obama is not an African American.
He's a black man born in the United States to a non American black man. He sort of defies any categorization. He's free to choose one.

He's says that he's an African American. As far as I'm concerned, he's a member of the tribe.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But we DO get to make this determination and the decision has already been made.

African Americans are the black descendants of slaves, and it's not an inclusive club.

Nothing you say can change that fact.
All Blacks in America that are referred to a African American, are they all descendents of slaves?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
He's a black man born in the United States to a non American black man. He sort of defies any categorization. He's free to choose one.

He's says that he's an African American. As far as I'm concerned, he's a member of the tribe.
But is Barack Obama a "Cornball brother?" That is the question.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:34 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:

Nope. No chance.
According to you.... Is Rachel Black?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So presumably, we came up with the term "African-American" ( never mind that it's a misnomer ) because the term "black" sounded too derogatory (?) and so now all white people use the term "African-American" when referring to black people.

What's confusing me is, you'll often hear both terms used in practically the same sentence quite often. I noticed this while listening to Clinton, Sanders, and O'Malley talk at the Urban league conference last week.

"Black" seems to be the term of choice when talking about numbers and statistics.

I'm just wondering, why is the term "Black" considered too derogatory in some contexts, but perfectly acceptable in others?
It's likely the way it's being said. I have found both terms to be acceptable. However, growing up around some people who were prejudiced - it was used negatively. "Blacks are dangerous", "that black guy was rude", "I'll disown my daughter if she dates a black kid", "my kids are in private schools because the public school is full of black kids", "careful driving through that black neighborhood"...stuff like this.

I know it sounds far fetched and it's anectdotal, but that's some of the crap I heard among my neighbors when I was a child. The word "black" was used negatively by them. Overtime, I think the word became less derogatory among educated people and eventually others because it was simply used as a descriptive adjective and not a negative label. In my area, racists are out of the mainstream for the most part - at least my mainstream . Interracial relationships aren't whispered about anymore and there are so many mixed race kids that no one can properly "label" them if they really wanted to. That doesn't mean racists don't exist though. Just telling my experience with the terms "black" and "African American". My personal preference is "black" because it's easier (shorter) to say.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:50 AM

632 posts, read 933,368 times
The way I understand it, black is a race. "African American" is more of an ethnicity...like Jewish. It ties people to a similar geographic location and cultural experience. A white South African who moves to the U.S. is technically an African American. But the cultural experience is often different from black Americans, just as it is for a black African who moves to the U.S.

The term African American became en vogue during and after the civil rights movement as a way for black Americans to find some connection to their African ancestry. Because of slavery, most blacks in the U.S. can't identify with a country/tribe in Africa (like the way white Americans can identify with being Italian, German, etc.).

Over time though I think fewer black Americans (myself included) really care about the terminology. I don't identify with Africa any more than I do with European ancestry I have. My experience is that of a black person in the United States, the good and the bad.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
So much information. PC is wild. Some people who are from Africa and live in America cannot say they are African-Americans, and some people who have never lived in Africa can say they are African-American, and some immigrants coming from other nations in the Americas that had slavery but not from Africa can say they are African-American.
Ironically, some folks consider "political correctness" (or "PC") to be a pejorative term.

I used to believe that mandatory "ethnic studies" and "diversity" course requirements in some high schools, colleges and universities were a waste of time and money; however, I might have to change my views...
L.A. Unified to require ethnic studies for high school graduation - LA Times
UCLA faculty overwhelmingly approves required courses on diversity - LA Times

It's amazing that in the 21st Century, some folks still have understanding the definitions and comprehending the concepts of "ethnicity," "nationality" and "race." The "basics" are readily available via Wikipedia...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(...categorization)

Let's look at some of the polite terminology that has been used over the years for "Americans of African descent"...
  • black
  • Negro
  • Colored
  • Black
  • Black American
  • Afro-American
  • African-American
  • African American
Each one of the polite terms for "Americans of African descent" listed above has certain nuances as well as unique histories. Apparently, the nuances and histories aren't taught in standard U.S. history, sociology, and anthropology courses, which justifies the "need" for mandatory "ethnic studies" and "diversity" courses. While it's not incredibly difficult to refrain from using archaic terminology and adopt current terminology, I guess that for some folks, it is.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
But is Barack Obama a "Cornball brother?" That is the question.
Probably not, considering his time in Chicago and the influence of Michelle and her family...
Urban Dictionary: Cornball Brother

Moreover, Barack Obama has documented African ancestors on both sides of his family tree...
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/us...-suggests.html
President Obama Descends from America’s First Slave
http://c.mfcreative.com/offer/us/oba...tree_final.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies