Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 01:22 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times

Advertisements

Some words (especially 4-letter words have always been no-nos for print, and network TV {George Carlin's famous 7 words you can't say on TV}) used to be bad. But, some are okay now, and all are legal on cable. You can say God, and Damn, but if you say them together God is bleeped out. Sometimes, if Jesus Christ is said, Jesus or Christ is omitted.

But because of PC, 'the list' is growing. On this forum, some people can call people black, but everyone can call people white. You can't say ****** (honky is okay) or ****** (the n-word). You can't say *****rd (a lazy person), ***** (another name for odd), ***** (another name for shovel), **** (another name for male chicken), **** (another name for dam), and **** (another name for urination). You can't say ******* (Mexican). But, you can say Gringo, Mick, Limey, Kraut and Bosch. You can also say Whitey, and Cracker (whitey, cracker).

Retard and retarded (other names for slow learner and/or impeded growth) will soon be on 'the list'.

Isn't PC wonderful (unless of course if you happen to be Whitey)?

Last edited by buddy5; 08-05-2015 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: I made a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713
According to currently popular theories of human evolution, we all originated in Africa. If that is correct, aren't we all African Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
Hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If that theory of human evolution is correct, then we certainly are.

Certainly Spartacus is correct based on the best available anthropology--archaeology along w/ DNA studies. The overwhelming consensus is that the first humans were found in Africa and spread from there. Interesting that dd will not accept that. Why do you hate science dd?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
All Blacks in America that are referred to a African American, are they all descendents of slaves?
Well....most are. I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
But is Barack Obama a "Cornball brother?" That is the question.
That's not a conversation to have here or with you. That's an intra black conversation

I like President Obama. That's where I'll leave it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
According to you.... Is Rachel Black?
Nope.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:16 PM

"African American" to me bespeaks a certain smarminess and kowtowing to political correctness, and I don't like to use the term. I prefer the term 'black' which was what most of those in the civil rights movement settled upon back in the day. I remember seeing graffiti extolling "black power" in 60's-70's Chicago. I never saw any exhortations of "African American power." That was something that probably came from sources like NPR.

But ultimately I hold to the Michael Medved rule. Medved's rule is that people should be called by whatever name that they choose for themselves.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Certainly Spartacus is correct based on the best available anthropology--archaeology along w/ DNA studies. The overwhelming consensus is that the first humans were found in Africa and spread from there. Interesting that dd will not accept that. Why do you hate science dd?
Lol...come on man. We're talking about African as a practical matter.

Do we all come from Africa originally? Well, yeah!

But let's be real...white folks are of European descent, and it's absurd to try and claim two continents. Especially when whites only want a connection to Africa as a convenient point in an argument about race.

Bottom line is this: the designation "African American" is reserved for people like myself, and I have no interest in expanding membership to people that don't want it anyway.

That includes Rachel Dolezal, Charlize Theron, Teresa Heinz, or anyone else that ain't black.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well....most are. I am.

That's not a conversation to have here or with you. That's an intra black conversation

I like President Obama. That's where I'll leave it.

Nope.

Because his father was of color?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
No.

But I'm laughing at the discovery of all these white African immigrants that everyone on the thread knows all of a sudden.

It's like millions of white Africans just showed up on our shores since this thread started.

White friends from Africa that live in America? Ehhh...not really.
So would you be OK with me saying that black people who live in Germany are not Germans? Even the ones who
s families been there 100+ years?

Do they have to be African-Germans then? Because I never heard that before while I was there.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Lol...come on man. We're talking about African as a practical matter.

Do we all come from Africa originally? Well, yeah!

But let's be real...white folks are of European descent, and it's absurd to try and claim two continents. Especially when whites only want a connection to Africa as a convenient point in an argument about race.

Bottom line is this: the designation "African American" is reserved for people like myself, and I have no interest in expanding membership to people that don't want it anyway.

That includes Rachel Dolezal, Charlize Theron, Teresa Heinz, or anyone else that ain't black.

Sure let's "be real." We all originally came from Africa, as you admit. So why are not all Americans "African Americans?" In particular to deny that a Charlize Theron, who was born in Africa and is now an American citizen, is "African American" is the height of absurdity.

Charlize Theron: Glad To Be A U.S. Citizen - CBS News

Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Some Blacks always delusional in the face of evidence. Especially when it is white folks telling it the way it is. Numerous other examples to use as well other than this subject.

Barely civilized. Kipling was correct..."half man and half child"

Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So would you be OK with me saying that black people who live in Germany are not Germans? Even the ones who
s families been there 100+ years?

Do they have to be African-Germans then? Because I never heard that before while I was there.
Actually, Germans of African ancestry are known as "Schwarzdeutsche" (Black German) or "Afrodeutsche' (Afro-German).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Germans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies