Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Laws are already there. You have to be 21 to own a handgun. Shooting at police is already illegal.
21 to buy / 18 to own in most places. My first handgun was a gift when I went off to college. I lived off-campus the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It seems like everywhere I look and see, I'm being pressured to buy a gun...not just one gun, multiple ones. Gun shows all over the place, advertisements in newspapers and magazines, and non-stop talk about guns on TV and the radio.

It's like American culture expects me to be carrying around a gun 24/7, and that if I don't own multiple firearms, I'm somehow a second class citizen. Anyone else tired of this?
Where the hell do you hang out?

Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
I had my 1st BB gun at 8....never shot anyone. Had my 1st shot gun at 12....never shot anyone. Had my 1st rifle at 14.....never shot anyone. I was raised in Philly in a hunting family. No one ever shot anyone.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:15 PM

20,466 posts, read 12,392,439 times
I am for more guns.

good guys with guns = better world.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I disagree, it has been more than adequately proven that it does work. If you don't like firearms, don't buy one that is your choice but don't force me to change my choice, or judge me by the choice you made.
Oh; I like firearms just fine I've personally known a few and spent quality time with them throughout the Pacific northwest and northern Ontario, Canada for weeks at a time. I traipsed all over the northern country in the early 60's with a reliable old Lee Enfield .303 sporterized "peep-sight" version with my back-up being my father's WWII issued Webley large frame .455 in a canvas surplus shoulder holster. Later on when I could afford better it was a custom Remington 700 .308 6X scoped with a Browning HyPower 9mm replacing that old break-frame Webley.

I was a line supervisor for Canadian Arsenals Limited right after getting out of the RCN in the 60's and am thoroughly intimate with all types of firearms and their construction. Even made some parts for your venerable M-14's back in the day. As a certified Toolmaker I've even done my share of gunsmithing over the years. I respect the design and manufacturing quality of the better weapons and enjoyed repairing/tweaking them for friends.

I just do not buy the justification methods you resort to explaining ownership desire, as that is all it is, a desire. It's really very simple; you like them, you want them, so you buy them. What more needs to be said. All this self defense nonsense is worthless tripe proven by so many cases of armed people being killed regardless and sometimes with their own weapon. Accidental shootings by family members factor very heavily into statistics of firearm injuries.

All authoritative studies prove this to be so.

Still desiring to possess firearms for purposes other than hunting while knowing the facts about their questionable benefits vis-à-vis defense of yourself or others .....have at it, but please refrain from justifying it through use of long debunked nonsense that has not been relevant since the 1800's.

No one is forcing you to do anything through discussing the issue. That is just more of the fear-mongering resorted to by the firearm lobby "they're coming to take your guns" crowd who have a vested interest in keeping your fear ramped up.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:20 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obviously we need a law to make it illegal for a 17 year old to buy a gun, and then another law to make it illegal to shoot at cops with a gun.
17 yo cannot, legally, buy firearms now. Most states, its 18 for long arms, 21 for handguns. Same with ammunition for each. I do appreciate the redundancy of each suggestion, though. Fits right in with the anti firearms folks' thought process. Illustrates it quite well, actually. Highlights the astounding lack of knowledge, on the subject of firearms laws and firearms, themselves, that runs rampant in the anti 2A crowd.

Honestly, some of the things that get spouted off by these people. It boggles the mind. These types claim superior intelligence and education, and sound like sound like a second grader trying to teach a High School auto shop class, using information gleaned from a Dr. Seuss book. Thing is, they actually believe they are authorities on the subject, and we should be hanging on their every word. The non existent capabilities they attribute to firearms function, that defy all laws of physics, cited as scientific fact, just gets ....old. Quotes from "studies", that are actually just ramblings from anti firearms groups, to try and justify passage of more and more, useless and redundant, laws and restrictions, all because of an ignorant fear of a mechanical device, useless and harmless, without a human operator. Odd.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:23 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times

Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why bother? You won't accept ANY data that contradicts your bias and agenda. The CDC study reported that guns are used defensively hundreds of thousands of times a year, but you'll ignore that study and accept whatever made up, falsified drivel put out by Handgun Control Inc.

YOU are the problem, not armed citizens. Before schools were "gun free zones" Pearl River, MS shooting!!!!! - CNN iReport

Clackamas mall shooter faced man with concealed weapon

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...otings-before/

Since most "mass shootings" happen in liberal supported "gun free zones" there are rarely law abiding armed citizens there to stop them - duh, sorry that people like YOU are keeping them from being prevented more often.

I'm sure you have absolutely no idea what the gun laws are in this country.

Did you read this?

God, good guys and guns | The Economist

And just for the record - I go to the range occasionally. I shoot all kinds of guns there, but I would NEVER bring one into my house, and I would NEVER carry one around. The fact that people in this country are so relaxed about the amount of guns in public is astonishing. It is also frightening how irrational Americans are about guns compared to the rest of the world.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:49 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Did you read this?

God, good guys and guns | The Economist

And just for the record - I go to the range occasionally. I shoot all kinds of guns there, but I would NEVER bring one into my house, and I would NEVER carry one around. The fact that people in this country are so relaxed about the amount of guns in public is astonishing. It is also frightening how irrational Americans are about guns compared to the rest of the world.
My goodness. Did you even read the article you posted??? It's a shame such an article is even on the Economist's website. I would be so embarrassed if my name was even remotely associated with this article.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:52 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
I'm Europe (for sure), you will find very few pepole wanting to move to the US.
Bull. I lived in Europe. Lot's of people there want to move to the U.S. Especially their creative and entrepreneurial types. Starting and building a business in Europe is far more difficult, especially if you aren't born into the upper class. The people in Europe who don't want to move to the U.S. are primarily the people we don't want here anyway. They're happy with their handouts and failing economies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies