Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 04:17 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Did you read this?

God, good guys and guns | The Economist

And just for the record - I go to the range occasionally. I shoot all kinds of guns there, but I would NEVER bring one into my house, and I would NEVER carry one around. The fact that people in this country are so relaxed about the amount of guns in public is astonishing. It is also frightening how irrational Americans are about guns compared to the rest of the world.
Is there a reason for being uptight and shaky about the presence of firearms in public, that are being legally carried by honest citizens? Bear in mind, Americans are not totally removed from our culture of self reliance, especially in matters of personal defense, as much of the rest of the world is. Especially Europe, as they are pretty much , totally reliant on the state for protection against criminal attack. Americans, not so much. I'm not , at all, ashamed of that, nor am I ever likely to be, but, some feel different. That's fine, so long as they are not trying to force me to feel the same, or to legally compell me to conform to that standard, regardless of my personal beliefs.

I find it curious that you say you spend time on the range, with "all types of firearms", yet, would never have one at your ready access. What's the point? Especially in light of your...discomfort...around armed people. Or, is the claim of range time just a way of saying you have enough actual experience with firearms that your opinion has merit? Sorry, I have a hard time taking that on faith. Something about such a dislike and discomfort with firearms, going hand in hand with real world knowledge of them, doesn't make sense. Its a bit of a contradiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Far more tired of ignorant anti-gun topics.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:01 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Is there a reason for being uptight and shaky about the presence of firearms in public, that are being legally carried by honest citizens? Bear in mind, Americans are not totally removed from our culture of self reliance, especially in matters of personal defense, as much of the rest of the world is. Especially Europe, as they are pretty much , totally reliant on the state for protection against criminal attack. Americans, not so much. I'm not , at all, ashamed of that, nor am I ever likely to be, but, some feel different. That's fine, so long as they are not trying to force me to feel the same, or to legally compell me to conform to that standard, regardless of my personal beliefs.

I find it curious that you say you spend time on the range, with "all types of firearms", yet, would never have one at your ready access. What's the point? Especially in light of your...discomfort...around armed people. Or, is the claim of range time just a way of saying you have enough actual experience with firearms that your opinion has merit? Sorry, I have a hard time taking that on faith. Something about such a dislike and discomfort with firearms, going hand in hand with real world knowledge of them, doesn't make sense. Its a bit of a contradiction.

I just go for fun. I guess the point is that I am not against "guns" so to speak. I am fine handling a gun (I personally like a 9mm or 40 caliber for target accuracy), and I like to go out into the desert with friends and shoot targets. Even in Europe, you can go to a range, own hunting rifles etc but you can't go out and buy a semi-auto and a ton of ammo if you feel like it. The legal ramifications of even carrying a fire-arm in public would be imprisonment in most countries (not all).

But, the difference between that and carrying a 9mm around with me to the local Trader Joes or shopping mall has bred the systemic problem with public shooting that is unique to this country. Even though I am comfortable with a gun, I am happy to admit that the chances of handling a real life situation in the street is very different to the scenario that plays out in advocates minds.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
I enjoy shooting, shotguns in particular. But lets be honest, there are way to many handguns floating around, unaccounted for. Every gangbanger and mental basketcase can get their hands on a gun, it has got way to out of control.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I enjoy shooting, shotguns in particular. But lets be honest, there are way to many handguns floating around, unaccounted for. Every gangbanger and mental basketcase can get their hands on a gun, it has got way to out of control.
So here is your question. How do you get the gangbangers and mental basketcases to turn in their guns? The fact is, you don't. The only people you can enforce gun control laws on is law abiding citizens. So now you have a society where every criminal and mental ward patient has a gun and nobody in the general public has the opportunity to defend themselves against them.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:12 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh; I like firearms just fine I've personally known a few and spent quality time with them throughout the Pacific northwest and northern Ontario, Canada for weeks at a time. I traipsed all over the northern country in the early 60's with a reliable old Lee Enfield .303 sporterized "peep-sight" version with my back-up being my father's WWII issued Webley large frame .455 in a canvas surplus shoulder holster. Later on when I could afford better it was a custom Remington 700 .308 6X scoped with a Browning HyPower 9mm replacing that old break-frame Webley.

I was a line supervisor for Canadian Arsenals Limited right after getting out of the RCN in the 60's and am thoroughly intimate with all types of firearms and their construction. Even made some parts for your venerable M-14's back in the day. As a certified Toolmaker I've even done my share of gunsmithing over the years. I respect the design and manufacturing quality of the better weapons and enjoyed repairing/tweaking them for friends.

I just do not buy the justification methods you resort to explaining ownership desire, as that is all it is, a desire. It's really very simple; you like them, you want them, so you buy them. What more needs to be said. All this self defense nonsense is worthless tripe proven by so many cases of armed people being killed regardless and sometimes with their own weapon. Accidental shootings by family members factor very heavily into statistics of firearm injuries.

All authoritative studies prove this to be so.

Still desiring to possess firearms for purposes other than hunting while knowing the facts about their questionable benefits vis-à-vis defense of yourself or others .....have at it, but please refrain from justifying it through use of long debunked nonsense that has not been relevant since the 1800's.

No one is forcing you to do anything through discussing the issue. That is just more of the fear-mongering resorted to by the firearm lobby "they're coming to take your guns" crowd who have a vested interest in keeping your fear ramped up.
Obviously just more pro gun propaganda ...
30 days of guns saving lives: A collection of true stories of self-defense - Little Rock gun rights | Examiner.com

Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I nominate you to be the first one through the door to try and take guns away from the American people.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:13 PM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
More gun control would fix this republicans are against it so more mass shooting are going to happen
Did you think of anything yet??

Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
So here is your question. How do you get the gangbangers and mental basketcases to turn in their guns? The fact is, you don't. The only people you can enforce gun control laws on is law abiding citizens. So now you have a society where every criminal and mental ward patient has a gun and nobody in the general public has the opportunity to defend themselves against them.

Exactly!! That seems to be what the gun grabbers want. The criminals will always have guns.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
More gun control would fix this republicans are against it so more mass shooting are going to happen
Tell me. We had a "assault weapon" ban go into effect some years back. What was the impact on crime? There was none. The ban had no impact at all. Come up with a REAL solution and maybe someone will listen, but until you do, you can plan on all measures regarding to gun control to be defeated....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies