Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 PM

156 posts, read 162,848 times

Advertisements

Don't want a gun don't buy one, but you can keep quiet about others buying guns. None or your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 12:36 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Tonight a cop got shot while making a routing traffic stop. Tomorrow some innocent SOB got shot while trying to argue with a cop. Then we get some nut job that got himself killed because he was trying to exterminate the audience at a movie theater with pepper spray and a pellet gun. The common element: Guns & Death.

Yawn.

It has become an everyday thing. Someone got shot with a gun. Its the American way. We want our guns, and we casually accept (think Newtown--if that didn't change things, nothing we have seen yet will) that every day a few folks--both arguably good and bad--get killed.

It doesn't even move the needle any longer. A couple dozen faux news services run with it because it sounds horrible, but at the end of the day we do nothing about it in terms if reducing the number of guns. Instead we argue about ridiculous things like restricting the clip size in assault rifles (like the one the guy shot the hole in the pavement with while he was "guarding" a military recruitment center).

It seems like society has pretty much lost its mind. A few gun deaths each day aren't going to change much.

Don't forget to wear you bulletproof vest if you go to the grocery store, mall or movie theatre. It's the American way. We got our rights, ya' know.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
^^^^ Making innocent people more vulnerable won't make criminals any less dangerous!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:41 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ Making innocent people more vulnerable won't make criminals any less dangerous!
I agree.

Self defense is the most basic human right.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM

65 posts, read 121,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It seems like everywhere I look and see, I'm being pressured to buy a gun...not just one gun, multiple ones. Gun shows all over the place, advertisements in newspapers and magazines, and non-stop talk about guns on TV and the radio.

It's like American culture expects me to be carrying around a gun 24/7, and that if I don't own multiple firearms, I'm somehow a second class citizen. Anyone else tired of this?

It seems like everywhere I look and see, I'm being pressured to buy a burger...not just one burger, multiple ones. Hamburger joints all over the place, advertisements in newspapers and magazines, and non-stop talk about burgers on TV and the radio.

It's like American culture expects me to be carrying around a burger 24/7, and that if I don't have multiple burger, I'm somehow a second class citizen. Anyone else tired of this?

People can advertise and talk about guns all day, you are not pressured into buying one. Just like fast food advertisement, they entice you everywhere but you are not forced into buying their food.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
You can't argue with an anti gun zealot. Because they skew your words and highlight out of context.

The facts are clear and undeniable - guns save lives, everyday.

Libido has nothing to do with defending myself, my family or my home or business from barbarian criminals.

I repeat, I carry a gun because it is my Constitutional Right, if you don't like it too bad.

We (gun owners) are tired of arguing with you people. If you don't like guns don't carry one. Don't tell me what to do though. I already promised not to intervene if you are ever in desperate need of armed intervention. Your life does NOT matter to me at all. It isn't "ghods will" that you die at the hand of some scumbag, but go right ahead, I honestly don't care.

Guns save lives huh? How many lives have been saved by a civilian with a gun this year? Provide evidence. It should be noted that 2015 is a record for deaths (and we are only in August).

Your "intervention" as you call it IS the problem. You wouldn't do any good should some nut job start firing in a mall, or a school.

The only thing I would agree with you about is that it is your constitutional right, what I do not agree with is the bat **** crazy gun laws in this country that allow too many people to carry all kinds of firearms. That puts people like me at risk whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I don't know anybody that feels pressured to buy a gun unless you are speaking of new gang members

Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What is it with this habit that anti firearms rights types have, with always falling back on sexual rhetoric? Tell me something, how is being unarmed going to help in the bolded situations? If faced with a violent, criminal attack, you feel you would have the advantage by having no means of defense? These "facts" you speak of, seem to have no common sense behind them, making their title as "fact", rather suspect.

This "libido" bit, now...I don't feel any rush of sexjal feeling , when I place my defensive pistol in its holster. Nor do I know anyone who does. If its all about that, cops must go through their day completely distracted, with all the hardware they strap on. Such comments , as you made here, are just some manner of expressing some lofty sense of superiority that disdain of armed citizens gives you, methinks.

Personal experience, with violent, criminal attack, tells me, you have no clue what you are talking about. Its just a delusion, that you can't overcome, leading you to believe your opinion is incontrovertable fact. This is why, when challenged, it triggers this fall back tactic of using sexual rhetoric to defend it, in the mistaken belief that such insults will cause the disagreeing party to cower before this , supposed, superior intellect and moral position. ...ummm...no. Its not working.

Honest citizens , successfully, defend themselves and their loved ones, from violent criminals every day. Using firearms. Use of a firearm is a martial art. Just like any other , that may come to mind, when thinking of self defense. The advantage of a firearm is, that one need not spend three hours a day, in rigorous physical conditioning, to be proficient. The elderly and disabled can be just as ready and able as anyone, to stop an attacker.

And they do. Regularly.

I don't need to read past the bold line. What you have done is a common misconception among gun lovers - they falsely attribute guns with safety, when in fact, the opposite is true.

Study after study show that being armed will not help you in terms of protection. In fact, many people make irrational choices when armed, have a feeling of heightened safety, and are more likely to endanger the people around them.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why do police carry them ? Why does the Secret Service carry them ? If a firearm really doesn't save a life, why should they bother ? Just curious.

Are you a cop? The FBI just published a study on some 160+ mass shootings in the past 10 years. In only one case, the shooter was stopped by a civilian with a gun. In 21 cases, the shooter was stopped by unarmed civilians. In the rest, they were either shot by a cop, or killed themselves, or were apprehended by the police.

The Violence Policy Center points out that Americans who legally carry concealed weapons are far more likely to perpetrate mass shootings than prevent them; it counts 29 such events since 2007. And while gun-wielding bystanders rarely curtail killings, they may aim badly and confuse the cops.

Keeping a gun at home is associated with a double or triple risk of homicide. What holds for homes is also true of states and countries: more guns mean more gun-related murders, tragic accidents and suicides. Yet, amid the drumbeat of bloody news, well-meaning, fearful individuals take the seemingly rational decision to arm themselves. Almost all plan to be prudent with their guns. That, alas, is what everyone thinks.

http://www.economist.com/news/united...-guys-and-guns

Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Wow sorry to hear that... maybe take up knitting, crocheting? 12-step program?

I never once felt pressured to buy anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies