Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,980,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
I can't help it. There are a couple old sayings. When seconds count, cops are only minutes away. And, a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

NVplumber, you're right on the money with your assessment of police proficiency with their firearms.

For those who prefer to rely on the police to protect them, Google "Emma Hernandez"
Many of them grow up in places (particularly in NYC) where nobody plinks at targets, and they end up without the aim and the hand eye coordination and the muscle memory that develops and is refined in people who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
More gun control would fix this republicans are against it so more mass shooting are going to happen
right because gun laws actually work.

criminal: oh man they just passed another gun law

criminal 2: aaww man, thats too bad, guess we cant get no more guns now can we?

criminal: guess not. thats too bad too cause i was thinking of bustin a cap in someone tomorrow.

the vast majority of guns used in mass shootings, WERE OBTAINED ILLEGALLY IN THE FIRST PLACE, so what gun control law would have stopped these shootings? let ma answer that question for you, NONE. just because something is made illegal doesnt mean that somehow such activity stops. for instance murder is illegal, and yet people commit murder everyday in this world.

criminal control would be abetter idea. stop coddling them. lock them up for long periods of time. the more violent the crime the longer the criminal stays behind bars.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:57 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
I live in San Francisco and we have extremely strict gun laws and I can tell you I've never lived in a city with so much gun violence and I've lived in A LOT of cities. Criminals don't care about gun laws and punishments aren't severe enough to deter criminals from using them.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:18 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I live in San Francisco and we have extremely strict gun laws and I can tell you I've never lived in a city with so much gun violence and I've lived in A LOT of cities. Criminals don't care about gun laws and punishments aren't severe enough to deter criminals from using them.

Gun laws have be nation wide.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
These gangbanger and mental basketcases don't show up to gun manufacturer and purchase the weapons legally. No they buy them or steal them from people who legally purchased them. I'm a gun owner, lets stop pretending we aren't part of the problem.

I say no secondary purchases on firearms: All gun transactions need to be through a gun store and accounted for.
Ken, how are meth dealers and users getting their meth?

How are cocaine dealers and users getting their cocaine?

Are they stealing meth and cocaine from legal users?

It is illegal to manufacture, distribute, possess, transport, sell, buy and use meth, but it's being produced in the US by the ton.

It is illegal to import, export, distribute, possess, transport, sell, buy and use cocaine, yet tons of it are being illegally imported into the US by the ton.

Let me guess, you believe laws will prevent the illegal manufacture and import of guns?

Talk about naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Laws against cocaine are nation wide. Do they work?

Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
These mass shootings are a gun problem in the same sense that drunk driving is an automobile problem.

DWI has been reduced by going after drunk drivers.

Get these psycho loons out of circulation and the shootings will stop.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Many of them grow up in places (particularly in NYC) where nobody plinks at targets, and they end up without the aim and the hand eye coordination and the muscle memory that develops and is refined in people who do.
True enough. And, in an attempt to compensate for the lack of firearms skill, police have been issued high capacity weapons, and are being trained to use these weapons like draftees on a battlefield. Spray n pray man, spray n pray. The doctrine is " keep shooting, till the threat is down for good". That's what most cops will answer you, if asked about why police shootings have such high round counts. Thing is, if even half the rounds that get fired in most police engagements, actually hit the "threat", there wouldn't be much left to identify, and the threat would be quite....neutralized...quite quickly.

The police are also not limited to ball type ammunition, as they used to be, either. They are carrying the most effective expanding type stuff available, for both their long and sidearms. While I completely realize , that no standard handgun is a "one shot fight stopper", rounds that don't impact the target , won't stop anything. Or, as has happened far to often, they do stop, in bystanders or in someone's TV. A lack of skill cannot be negated by launching more projectiles, and taking away accountability for where they end up. But, thus far, that's been the procedure.

The police should be held to the same standards of accountability as we citizens are. That standard is quite high. If a homeowner is shooting at an armed intruder, and any of his rounds end up injuring someone else, say, a neighbor, he WILL be arrested, and prosecuted, for that. The same standards do not, uniformly, apply to the police. Even, (especially, in reality) the, supposedly "elite" , tactical teams. Its a situation that bears examination.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
It depends on what you mean by that.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:47 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Where does Congress get the power to enact nationwide gun laws? Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text

Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM

519 posts, read 777,399 times
Quote:
That wouldn't solve anything. Criminals are going to get guns and committ crimes regardless of how much you try to restrict access to firearms or any other kind of weapon. Prohibition never works and there are numerous examples throughout history to prove this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies