Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Gun laws have be nation wide.

You mean like drug laws! Now I get it.

Or maybe the federal laws against robbing banks! That's why there are no bank robberies anymore.

Or maybe the federal law against identity theft! Never happens.

And of course the federal immigration laws! Haven't heard of a single illegal since the Feds took control of immigration nationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:05 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
These mass shootings are a gun problem in the same sense that drunk driving is an automobile problem.

DWI has been reduced by going after drunk drivers.

Get these psycho loons out of circulation and the shootings will stop.
So who is going to be in charge of rounding up all these loons that you speak of? What test should we use to decide who gets institutionalized and who doesn't?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
These mass shootings are a gun problem in the same sense that drunk driving is an automobile problem.

DWI has been reduced by going after drunk drivers.

Get these psycho loons out of circulation and the shootings will stop.
Not to worry, I will testify at your sanity hearing...

Old 08-11-2015, 12:14 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,980,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
So who is going to be in charge of rounding up all these loons that you speak of? What test should we use to decide who gets institutionalized and who doesn't?
Maybe you're creating them:

"Warning: Suicidality and Antidepressants
See full prescribing information for complete boxed warning.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults taking antidepressants for major depressive disorder and other psychiatric disorders. Luvox Tablets are not approved for use in pediatric patients except those with obsessive compulsive disorder (5.1).
"

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsa.../022235lbl.pdf

Old 08-11-2015, 12:17 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Why bother, we will just keep selling them drugs, hoping they take them and leave them in circulation. Then when they F up and shoot up a movie theater or school we will just scream and cry that it's all the guns fault. Seems to be much easier and makes everyone feel better that way.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Maybe you're creating them:

"Warning: Suicidality and Antidepressants
See full prescribing information for complete boxed warning.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults taking antidepressants for major depressive disorder and other psychiatric disorders. Luvox Tablets are not approved for use in pediatric patients except those with obsessive compulsive disorder (5.1).
"

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsa.../022235lbl.pdf
You didn't answer the question. Who are going to round these people up and what qualifications will they use?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:21 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You mean like drug laws! Now I get it.

Or maybe the federal laws against robbing banks! That's why there are no bank robberies anymore.

Or maybe the federal law against identity theft! Never happens.

And of course the federal immigration laws! Haven't heard of a single illegal since the Feds took control of immigration nationally.

Can you imagine how many bank robberies there would be if "robbery" were as legal as owning a gun?

You never ever completely eliminate crime by making things illegal - that is the insanely basic point that several posters seem not to understand (with their responses about cocaine or some other illogical retort). We will never ever completely eliminate gun crime in the US either, nor should the goal be to eradicate guns completely from society, but to suggest that "laws" don't or can't work at all is simply ridiculous.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
For the first 40 years of my life I loved guns and had many.
I used them for hunting animals and when the Government payed me to do it, for killing humans.

For the next 35 years I did not kill or eat animals, and had no Government connections.
I had no guns and no interest in them.

I am not anti-gun, but I don't own any because I have nobody I want to kill right now.

But sometime I might, and even though I still remember how to aim and shoot, I don't think I would use a gun.

I would rather run my target over with my pickup, than take a chance of missing or wounding him.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,980,425 times
Quote:
You didn't answer the question. Who are going to round these people up and what qualifications will they use?
Stop marketing agitating substances to them.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Can you imagine how many bank robberies there would be if "robbery" were as legal as owning a gun?

You never ever completely eliminate crime by making things illegal - that is the insanely basic point that several posters seem not to understand (with their responses about cocaine or some other illogical retort). We will never ever completely eliminate gun crime in the US either, nor should the goal be to eradicate guns completely from society, but to suggest that "laws" don't or can't work at all is simply ridiculous.
Yes, finally someone on here who understands. New gun laws will not completely eliminate gun related crime. But reducing firearm related homicides from 11,000 people a year to 5,000 or 3,000 would be a massive improvement. America is a first world nation, a nation founded by brilliant, educated, civilized people. Our homicide rate is far to high for a country as great as this. The American people deserve better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies