Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
"Certain types of guns" have been banned in places like New York City and Washington, DC for decades. Can anyone claim those laws have been a success? If anything, the courts are moving towards overturning them.

Background checks? Do you want guns banned or more background checks? Which is it?

Don't get me wrong. I would love a gun-free America. I simply do not see it as doable.

Cases like Europe and Australia work because most of the people there want it to work. You have massive constituencies here (NRA, Crips, Bloods, Hunters) who do not want guns banned.

We are told, correctly, that we cannot ban drugs and the War on Drugs is a colossal failure. We are told, not without some credibility, that we cannot hope to seal our own border, completely at least.

Therefore, what exactly tells you that we could ban guns?

Yeah ... it's the law abiding citizens who are having their guns taken away not the criminal thugs on the street.

I'm not against the 2nd amendment ... I support it like the rest of our constructional rights.

I think law abiding citizens shouldn't be restricted to bear arms.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post

Then cease worrying and constructing ridiculous conspiracy theories.

The ownership of guns will never be banned in the United States.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Yeah ... it's the law abiding citizens who are having their guns taken away not the criminal thugs on the street.

I'm not against the 2nd amendment ... I support it like the rest of our constructional rights.

Your prior post (#404) seems to say otherwise. Maybe I misunderstood.

I think at this point in time, the issue is moot.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Then cease worrying and constructing ridiculous conspiracy theories.

The ownership of guns will never be banned in the United States.
How can you say this when it's already happening incrementally and Obama has made it clear that this is one of his goals.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Your prior post (#404) seems to say otherwise. Maybe I misunderstood.

I think at this point in time, the issue is moot.
Nope ... I was responding to a poster who said it was not achievable. This is what the gun grabbers say as they are incrementally taking away our constitutional rights. Like Obama who said he did not have the power to change immigration laws using executive order ... but then he changed immigration policy to achieve the same thing.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Quote:
How can you say this when it's already happening incrementally and Obama has made it clear that this is one of his goals.
What has gun ownership done under the Obama administration?

Old 08-31-2015, 02:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Because it is a logistical nightmare to ban something like gun ownership. It is an impossible thing to try to disarm a population and account for the hundreds of millions of guns owned by American citizens. Current estimates put the number of guns owned by Americans between 270 million and 310 million. No matter how many the government recovered in some extensive and unbelievably expensive reclamation effort (because the value of those guns will run into the billions, and people don't just hand over something of value without being compensated), there will always be millions of guns unaccounted for. It's just statistically impossible, and Obama has not "made it clear" that banning guns is one of his goals, and in his remaining months in office, such an undertaking would be madness, even if he could get Congress to support him in such an effort, which is something that's even more unlikely.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because it is a logistical nightmare to ban something like gun ownership. It is an impossible thing to try to disarm a population and account for the hundreds of millions of guns owned by American citizens. Current estimates put the number of guns owned by Americans between 270 million and 310 million. No matter how many the government recovered in some extensive and unbelievably expensive reclamation effort (because the value of those guns will run into the billions, and people don't just hand over something of value without being compensated), there will always be millions of guns unaccounted for. It's just statistically impossible, and Obama has not "made it clear" that banning guns is one of his goals, and in his remaining months in office, such an undertaking would be madness, even if he could get Congress to support him in such an effort, which is something that's even more unlikely.

Saying something like "it's an impossible thing to try to disarm a population and account for the hundreds of millions of guns owned by American citizens" is like saying "it's impossible to remove a nations existing healthcare system and replace it with a government controlled healthcare system".

Old 08-31-2015, 05:38 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Saying something like "it's an impossible thing to try to disarm a population and account for the hundreds of millions of guns owned by American citizens" is like saying "it's impossible to remove a nations existing healthcare system and replace it with a government controlled healthcare system".
I am with you. I have always seen these encroachments into the 2nd Amendment. I've heard so many 2A supporters say it will/could never happen, and all I see is that it is going to happen. I'm in my 30s and if I live several more decades, I will not at all be surprised to see this increasingly dumbed down generations coming up gladly give away their rights to the tyrannical American government.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Here is the Andy Parker press conference. Hardcore anti-gun activist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4mnTb9JNA
What kills me is, for someone who just lost his own daughter and brutally so, he sure has seemed to pick up on all the usual talking points of the anti-gunners very quickly...

"we need to close the gun show loophole"

"majority of NRA members support stronger gun laws"

"politicians scared of the NRA"

etc.

He does not strike me as someone who has just been thrust in to this over night, and through extremely emotionally trying circumstances.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-01-2015 at 03:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies