Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grade him now:
He's a god, and there is no scale for how good he is! (for the cheer leaders) 4 2.37%
A+ (Not a single thing has he done wrong) 4 2.37%
A (most excellent) 8 4.73%
A- (very little to change) 9 5.33%
B+ (very good) 13 7.69%
B (needs to change only few things, but otherwise he's great!) 9 5.33%
B- (way better than GWBush) 10 5.92%
C+ (better than average) 3 1.78%
C (average) 4 2.37%
C- (Meh! ...slightly below average) 2 1.18%
D+ (in Carter territory now) 8 4.73%
D (definately as bad or worse than Carter) 8 4.73%
D- (divisive and narcicisstic - might be the worst ever) 36 21.30%
F (definately the worst ever) 46 27.22%
He's the absolute worst and there is no scale for how bad he is! (for the Neocons) 18 10.65%
Who cares? Both sides give us cronies who only have the best interest of the political class and couldn;t give a crap about us. 15 8.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Second, there is nothing wrong with providing HC for people who cannot afford it.
Are you paying for it?

I doubt it.

Someone has to pay.

Quote:
We, as a nation, subsidize many things for the good of the nation.
You say "we."

What do YOU contribute?

Not much, I bet.

Maybe nothing.

Quote:
If one lives in Montana, that has about a million residents, the rest of the country subsidizes the roads.
How do you know that?

Are there super-expensive super-highways in Montana that I don't know about?

Ten thousand miles of roads that I don't know about?

Quote:
The nation as a whole subsides poor states, sending more aid than they pay in taxes.
The "poor" states subsidize the rest of the nation by providing energy and food.

Up to 80% of their land (e.g., Nevada) is owned by the federal government and devoted to Indian reservations, national parks, and military bases.

But I guess we can all live without food, national defense and energy that in places like New York City -- which is, after all, a notable energy provider and agricultural wonderland full of needed military bases and Indian reservations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:34 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Sorry, but the Republicans faced the same problem when Bush was president.

And yet everything that happened was "his fault alone."
Really?

Quote:
Are you kidding?

The Democrats COMPLETELY shut Republicans out of the process of debating and passing the ACA and the Stimulus.

Harry Reid only got the ACA passed by using a parliamentary trick.
If so, why did the ACA legislation contain 161 Republican amendments, including several amendments from Senators Mike Enzi [R-WY], Tom Coburn [R-OK], Pat Roberts [R-KS] and others? The ACA legislation reflected the efforts of six bipartisan working groups that met 87 times in 2009.

Let's not get into parliamentary tricks when the GOP did this in 2003:
Quote:
When House-Senate negotiators began a series of closed-door sessions to craft an ambitious Medicare overhaul, GOP Rep. Bill Thomas summarily announced that he would allow not a single House Democrat -- and only two Senate Democrats -- in.
Thomas and his GOP colleagues brushed aside Daschle's complaints and enacted their bill -- aided by a now-infamous three-hour House roll call -- with less minority party involvement than on any major issue in recent times.
Recently, however, GOP leaders have largely dispensed with such niceties. Senate Republicans rewrote a massive (and still-pending) energy bill with zero Democratic participation. And top House and Senate Republicans negotiated the complex Medicare bill with only two conciliation-minded Democrats -- Sens. John Breaux (La.) and Max Baucus (Mont.) -- in the room. (When some House Democrats barged in one day, Thomas, the Ways and Means chairman, halted the meeting until they left.)

Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
neo-conservatives?

That would be ultra conservatives who love military action and foreign intervention. Those who love the free market but don't understand vulture capitalism. Those who back the RED while ignoring how cronyism and the political class have undermined the party. Those who hate Democrats for the only reason that they are democrats.

Now just reverse all of that and replace the words to define the polar opposite extreme and call it progressives.

Yea, I understand. Maybe it's you who gives yourself too much credit for having a handle on what I know and don't know, when you don't even know me at all.

I agree with you a lot, but I also see you like to make targets of people at the drop of a hat sometimes.
That's not a neo-con

Neo-Cons co-opted the 1950s/60s democrat position of military interventionism, while also being moderate on spending.

Neo-cons are far from Ultra Conservative on matters of spending. In fact Dick Cheney spoke extensively about how running a deficit isn't really that bad if you can grow the economy at a certain rate....

The neo-cons have NEVER been the ultra-conservatives. In fact the neo-cons have long been the serious intellectuals of the republican party.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:26 AM

714 posts, read 356,769 times
Default neo-conservatives and ultra-conservatives are very different

Quote:
neo-conservatives?

That would be ultra conservatives who love military action and foreign intervention. Those who love the free market but don't understand vulture capitalism. Those who back the RED while ignoring how cronyism and the political class have undermined the party. Those who hate Democrats for the only reason that they are democrats.

Now just reverse all of that and replace the words to define the polar opposite extreme and call it progressives.

Yea, I understand. Maybe it's you who gives yourself too much credit for having a handle on what I know and don't know, when you don't even know me at all.

I agree with you a lot, but I also see you like to make targets of people at the drop of a hat sometimes.
You don't know what it means to be neo-conservative or ultra-conservative. The statement which I highlighted in your quote is patently false.
I intensely dislike most of Obama's policies but I am NOT an "ultra-conservative". You falsely equate "ultra-conservative" with "neo-conservative".
A neo-conservative actually is liberal or at least centrist on social and fiscal issues, but supports a strong foreign and defense policy.
An ultra-conservative is a far-rightist who strongly opposes government spending and holds very right-wing views on social issues. And is an isolationist in foreign policy

There obviously are sharp differences between the two.
The "polar opposite extreme" of the far left regarding domestic policy is ultra-conservatism (i.e. the far right). On foreign policy they agree - they're both isolationist.

And there are of course people who don't neatly fit into either category. They adhere to certain aspects of one but not the other.

Last edited by spectator11040; 08-31-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
You don't know what it means to be neo-conservative or ultra-conservative. The statement which I highlighted in your quote is patently false.
I intensely dislike most of Obama's policies but I am NOT an "ultra-conservative". You falsely equate "ultra-conservative" with "neo-conservative".
A neo-conservative actually is liberal or at least centrist on social and fiscal issues, but supports a strong foreign and defense policy.
An ultra-conservative is a far-rightist who strongly opposes government spending and holds very right-wing views on social issues. And is an isolationist in foreign policy

There obviously are sharp differences between the two.
The "polar opposite extreme" of the far left regarding domestic policy is ultra-conservatism (i.e. the far right). On foreign policy they agree - they're both isolationist.

And there are of course people who don't neatly fit into either category. They adhere to certain aspects of one but not the other.

I'm feeling really special now that so many have made it their goal to define neocon and every level of conservatism, as if THAT is what this thread is about.

Let's do this... Replace neocon with uber-conservative. This should cover most everyone's definition of far right, which is what I meant.

One thing is for certain, nearly 75% of the people polled are firmly in the D or worse range. That's an impressive display of solidarity for city-data posters.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:

One thing is for certain, nearly 75% of the people polled are firmly in the D or worse range. That's an impressive display of solidarity for city-data posters.
This poll attracts those that hate President Obama and we know who they are. The poll/POC, are not necessarily reflective of the country.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
It has been almost 2 years to the day that I posted the same question and poll here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-obama-18.html

With him being in office for seven years, I thought I'd see if sentiment has changed in his second term.

Now that we have this misguided Iran deal, his sidelining of Congress and Senate, his disregard for how our government and Constitution are intended to function - I've changed my D to an F.

I totally expect the cheerleaders to start bashing, and I have plenty of crackers for the zombie parrots in here.
Haters gonna hate. From the threads and opinions on CD, i expected about 80% haters. I'm surprised it's only like 70%

Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Poor Obama.

So many people don't like him -- which is unfair.

Everyone loved and respected President Bush.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Poor Obama.

Thankfully Bush didn't have the significant mindless cult following Obama does. Can you imagine?
For the O-cult, the messiah can do no wrong, and anyone who disagrees is radical/fringe/uneducated etc.

The double standard is amazing...

Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Poor Obama.

All from Gallup:

At this point in Bush's term, he was at ~30% approval. Obama is at 46%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies