Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Mt. St. Helens is actually Loowit as everyone knows. And Mt. Adams is Klickitat. Yes, I think they ought to be called by their rightful names. So I do.

Native American Myths
There's also: Mt. Jefferson (slave owner), Mt. Washington (Slave owner), Black Butte (That's racist), Crater Lake (Should just be Mt. Mazama), Mt. McLoughlin, Three Fingered Jack.

Also, there is a Sacajawea Peak in Eastern Oregon. That was not what the natives called that Peak though I'm sure you're ok with that considering it's honoring someone that isn't white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I actually prefer Denali but I hate the political correctness that drives it.
i.e. Does not support an effort by the President due to his political affiliations. Or does not understand or respect another culture or people other than his own.

Last edited by mikebnllnb; 08-31-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
She says, "I don't care what the Russians name the mountains in their country".

Anyway, I think Danali is a more exotic name. I'm for it.
Palin probably at least knows how-to spell the mountains name.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:59 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,323,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
I actually prefer Denali but I hate the political correctness that drives it.
You know that Denali, nee McKinley, aside from being one astoundingly beautiful peak is also the tallest mountain from its base to its peak. In fact it is about 6,000 ft higher than Everest from base to peak. It is a magnificent mountain and deserves a fitting name, which Denali, in Athabascan translates to "The High One" surely conveys far better than Mt. McKinley.

But then anything that Obama does while breathing is grounds of griping, including breathing.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:12 PM

65 posts, read 121,174 times
Here is how much Alaskans care, there is hardly any talk on the Alaska forum. Alaskans have been calling it Denali, so it really doesn't matter. It's more of a 'finally moment' that someone actually paid attention to Alaska. Nobody cares, it's been called Denali for generations and was going to be called Denali for many more generations even if the name was never changed back. Who cares.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:17 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I am just dying to know what Palin thinks.
She thinks that "now that Mt. McKinley is gone, I can see Russia from even closer to my home..."

Old 08-31-2015, 06:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There's also: Mt. Jefferson (slave owner), Mt. Washington (Slave owner), Black Butte (That's racist), Crater Lake (Should just be Mt. Mazama), Mt. McLoughlin, Three Fingered Jack.

Also, there is a Sacajawea Peak in Eastern Oregon. That was not what the natives called that Peak though I'm sure you're ok with that considering it's honoring someone that isn't white.
Crater Lake is a - wait for it - *lake*. The mountain in whose caldera the lake sits is still called, as it has been for who knows how long, Mazama. I grant the Mount part of the current name is a later addition. All my years of doing fieldwork in the area, I never once heard it called Crater Lake Mountain, not even by clueless tourists.

As for the others you mention, your criticisms of the those names are all yours, they would not be mine. I'm sure the native Americans had names for them, undoubtedly more than one. But AFAIK, none of those names are still in common use today, unlike Denali, Loowit, Wyeast, and Klickitat. It surprises me that a Portland person doesn't know those names. Since it was from Portlanders that I first learned them.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Haha, exactly! Does anyone in Ohio really care what the mountain in Alaska is named? The Alaskan's themselves should be responsible for the name and they all call it Denali.
Ohio has a history of this. They have tried to claim "first in flight" too, when everyone knows it happened in NC at the outer banks.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Haha, exactly! Does anyone in Ohio really care what the mountain in Alaska is named? The Alaskan's themselves should be responsible for the name and they all call it Denali.
Seems Bonehead's a bit tweaked.
Quote:
“There is a reason President McKinley’s name has served atop the highest peak in North America for more than 100 years, and that is because it is a testament to his great legacy,” Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said in a statement issued Sunday night.

“I’m deeply disappointed in this decision,” Boehner said after noting that McKinley served in the Army during the Civil War before representing Ohio in Congress and as governor.
Ohioans fuming over Mount McKinley name change

Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Renamings in my lifetime:

Army St. (San Francisco) to Cesar Chavez St.
Peking to Beijing
Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City
Bombay to Mumbai
Burma to Myanmar
Siam to Thailand (just kidding -- I'm not that old)
A gazillion boulevards/streets/expressways/highways to Martin Luther King Boulevard/Street/Expressway/Highway
Lots of things renamed for JFK
Dulles Airport to Reagan Airport (right?)
Oriental to Asian
Indian to Native American
Washington Redskins to....(we'll see)
Stanford Indians to Stanford Cardinals
San Francisco Warriors to Golden State Warriors
Hawaii to Hawai'i
I'm sure many more examples are out there...
Another NBA example is the Washington Bullets, who were re-christened as the 'Wizards' in order to help stop 'gun violence.'

I live in King County in Washington state, which was named after Rufus King, who was the 13th US Vice President. An African American King County exec, Ron Sims, spent about $400,000 to have us named after Martin Luther King Jr instead. The cost was due to a redesign of the county logo and repainting the logo on county vehicles, new stationary, etc.

Ironically it turns out that Rufus King was gay, so some liberals were offended by the apparent slap in the face to Seattle's gay community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies