Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's actually logic in calling Boulder Dam Hoover Dam. Hoover had been an engineer and had worked on the establishment of water policies in the semi-arid and arid West before becoming President.

There is no such logic for naming Denali Mount McKinley. President McKinley had NOTHING to do with Alaska.
What did George Washington have to do with Washington State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:42 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why would that surprise you? Mt Hood's name isn't Wy'east, it's Mt. Hood. If you want to be politically correct, so be it. But you are wrong. The proper name is Mt. Hood.
Said who?

And why is any place name necessarily forever?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
What did George Washington have to do with Washington State?
You have become obsessed with this topic simply because President Obama's administration made it happen. Frankly, you're being childish. Most presidents name or rename things. Including Republicans (or perhaps you don't remember the change from Washington National Airport to Ronald Reagan National Airport. I lived in northern Virginia at the time, and people hated that change, and fought it tooth and nail. Now I could have seen naming it after Reagan if the last we saw of him was flying out of that airport.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People don't seem to realize that and are mistaking returning it to the name used by the native Americans and other Alaskans is somehow caving to "political correctness". In conservative logic it is always preferable to be ignorant over being politically correct.
Conservative logic is just that... logic. Liberalism is illogical.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
You have become obsessed with this topic simply because President Obama's administration made it happen. Frankly, you're being childish. Most presidents name or rename things. Including Republicans (or perhaps you don't remember the change from Washington National Airport to Ronald Reagan National Airport. I lived in northern Virginia at the time, and people hated that change, and fought it tooth and nail. Now I could have seen naming it after Reagan if the last we saw of him was flying out of that airport.
All I did was ask why Washington State is named after George Washington, who had nothing to do with that state.

I was replying to somebody who insisted that Mount McKinley in Alaska should not have been named after President McKinley because President McKinley had nothing to do with Alaska.

My pointing all of that out seems to bother you a lot.

I can't think why.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 AM

Surely the relevant Alaskan Native Americans had an alphabet of their own.

If we are going to be "authentic," we should use that alphabet instead of our own.

Anything less would be alphabetic imperialism.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:37 AM

65 posts, read 121,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Isn't "Denali" also incorrect?

Did Native Americans use our alphabet or something different?

It was still pronounced Denali, we just romanized the spelling so we could read it better. Just like Japanese, romanized Japanese is called Romaji so non-japanese readers could sound out the words instead of reading it in kanji/furigana or hiragana/katakana. In the Koyukon language, it is called Denali. The Athabaskans lived in proximity of the mountain and Koyukon was there language. Denali is correct since the pronunciation still has its meaning.

Also, Alaskan Natives mostly did not have a written language, it was only recently in history has a written language been developed in many of the native languages.

Last edited by BarrowWx; 09-01-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 04:19 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Personally I like to refer to it as "Frisco". Drives the locals up a wall.
Yes, it sure does!

Workingclasshero: I Googled Yerba Buena ... I did not find that Wiki page. I stand corrected.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:57 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
There's actually logic in calling Boulder Dam Hoover Dam. Hoover had been an engineer and had worked on the establishment of water policies in the semi-arid and arid West before becoming President.

There is no such logic for naming Denali Mount McKinley. President McKinley had NOTHING to do with Alaska.
I have to give the president credit on this one. Renaming the mountain to it's original name was the right thing to do. Just because some prospector named it after McKinley was campaigning for the executive office. Sadly McKinley was assassinated and does dignify having something named after him...Ohio has many parks or possibly a major airport that could be renamed.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:58 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Mt. McKinley at over 20,000 feet was named for a man that never visited Alaska and now Obama will officially give the mountain back it's original name. Denali, Meaning "Great one or High one".

It is about time this happened.

In Alaska, Obama to rename tallest U.S. peak - CNNPolitics.com
William McKinley should have changed his name to Caitlyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies