Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 05:59 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,058,837 times

Advertisements

And here we have Mr. Flores criminal background.....gee, what a surprise.

Man fatally shot by deputies was out on parole - San Antonio Express-News

Old 09-02-2015, 06:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,531,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Thanks for the link. I have always said that the police can not be impartial when investigating themselves. From the article:

"From the beginning I allowed the investigation to proceed and didn’t know it was a sham until many of the facts were discovered. But before long I realized a cover-up was under way. I hadn’t understood at first how closely related the DA and the police were—during his election campaign for judge, the DA had been endorsed in writing by every police agency in the county. Now he was investigating them. It was a clear conflict of interest."

Read more: What I Did After Police Killed My Son

I have long said that the DA should not be the agency investigating police brutality, as they have a close relationship with the police. I am glad they were able to get that law passed so that police violence in that state will be investigated by a third party.
Utter nonsense. Anyone appointmented to do any investigating automatically become part of a police force. You believe there is a difference between civilian control of a military and the utlimate actions that that military? Time for a reality check. The police a a reflection of society, if you don't like it much, mirrors must be difficult to look into.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:44 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,644,858 times
Does anyone know if the guy was left handed?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,665,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Why does the criminal history matter?
Because maybe this guy is know to be armed and dangerous? Maybe he's had weapons charges in the past. Maybe he has a history of violence against cops? If they tell him to raise his hands and he does anything other than raise his hands, they're not going to wait to see if he's reaching for a weapon, they're going to fill him with lead.
All of those things are reasons that might have mattered before he was shot - when the officers were first responding to the call - but none of them matter now that he's dead. There is not one thing on that list that would make a difference in determining whether this was a good shooting or not. All that matters now is, did the officers have reason to feel that the man was a threat to their safety? Period. And that is determined solely by his actions at that moment. His criminal history (if any) is not relevant to that.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:23 PM

1,069 posts, read 717,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
All of those things are reasons that might have mattered before he was shot - when the officers were first responding to the call - but none of them matter now that he's dead. There is not one thing on that list that would make a difference in determining whether this was a good shooting or not. All that matters now is, did the officers have reason to feel that the man was a threat to their safety? Period. And that is determined solely by his actions at that moment. His criminal history (if any) is not relevant to that.
Gotta love the "nothing to see here, move along now" type of reasoning

Old 09-02-2015, 07:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,607,643 times
Reportedly the guy was holding a knife and refused to drop it ...

Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM

51,224 posts, read 24,691,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I suppose you've walked in their shoes, right. I prefer to wait until an investigation is over rather than rushing to a conclusion. It's just smarter!
If the investigation were by a totally neutral party I would agree.

But the way it is now -- Hey, I'm innocent because I told you so.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,048,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If the investigation were by a totally neutral party I would agree.

But the way it is now -- Hey, I'm innocent because I told you so.
There is no such thing as totally neutral.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,358,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Reportedly the guy was holding a knife and refused to drop it ...
That's why god in her infinite wisdom invented Tasers. The simple refusal to drop a knife without additional acts that could be reasonable construed as representing an imminent threat, just doesn't rise to the level of extra-judicial application of capital punishment.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,607,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
That's why god in her infinite wisdom invented Tasers. The simple refusal to drop a knife without additional acts that could be reasonable construed as representing an imminent threat, just doesn't rise to the level of extra-judicial application of capital punishment.
Generally, use of non-lethal force against someone brandishing a lethal weapon would not be in policy guidelines …

Whether we like it or not, in general, police officers are supposed to be allowed to go home to their families alive at end of shift …

The guy could should ought to have dropped the knife … His death was tragic … and he brought it upon himself ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.