Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 01:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Can you give us a couple of cites where someone, that matters (not just some random blogger,) who actually stated that Christians in America are being persecuted?

I'd like to see where you're culling your information.
I'm not Myghost, and I'm sure I'm not someone that MATTERS in your estimation, but I want to respond to this question. I hope my response matters enough to others if not to you.

I've been a moderator on several forums as well as being an active participant (non-moderator) on several other forums and I have seen that statement made many, many times over the course of many years online.

It can come up in any topic where people are discussing religions and the participants are getting into debates and disagreements with each other. You can 100% count on it that because somebody is disagreeing with him/her about something, eventually one of the really hard core Christians (usually one of those that can't speak for themself and can't post anything on their own merit without also quoting scriptures from the bible to back them up) will state that Christians in America are being persecuted. Then one or two others will piously post "amen" and go on to quote scriptures from the bible that confirm that Christians should expect and will be persecuted. They believe it and expect it because the bible says that Jesus said that Christians would be persecuted. And in their own minds if other people are not agreeing with them or not accepting the scriptures or have a different religion of their own or aren't meekly conceding to what the Christians want to impose upon them then that means that they, the Christians, are being persecuted. It's like they have some kind of mental block or something.

I'm NOT saying all Christians are like that. It's mainly the ones that are really obsessive about their religion and are unable or unwilling to understand or accept that other people possess the audacity to have minds of their own and other ways of worshipping their God(s) or doing their own thing and might reject their brand of Christianity.

Now I have a question for you. Why is it important to you that you have a couple of cites about this from someone who matters? Who, in your opinion, is somebody that matters? And what difference would it make to the credibility of people who do not matter to you but confirm that they've heard Christians complaining about being persecuted? Sorry, but it just sounds like a rather stuck up thing and a slap in the face to say that in connection with such a trivial subject.

I find it hard to believe, if you happen to be a Christian yourself or not, that you have not at some point seen or heard some hard core Christian somewhere make the statement that Christians are being persecuted. Claiming persecution and victimhood is an extremely common excuse or complaint that comes from indignant Christians when they are in a holy snit about having their Christian religion rejected by others who aren't interested. They do it when they have nothing better to say just to get the last word in, they're playing the martyr card and trying to lay a guilt trip on the people who disagree with them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 01:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Based on the definition of persecute Christians are persecuted by a minority who use the media and the courts to further their agenda.

per·se·cute
ˈpərsəˌkyo͞ot/Submit
verb
past tense: persecuted; past participle: persecuted
1) subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of their race or political or religious beliefs.
2) harass or annoy (someone) persistently.

The US has been a Christian country for centuries, as in the overwhelming majority of people identify as Christian, and much of the culture reflects that but small groups have been attacking that culture for years.

Are Christians in the US persecuted like Christians in Syria or Libya? No, not even close, but Christians and Christian holidays have been under near constant media attack for years. You can't claim the atheist attempts to remove all signs of Christmas from schools or anything that is even remotely 'public' property isn't hostile or done to harass them.

It's interesting, if you do a google search for "can the majority be persecuted" at least the first few pages are all about Christian persecution, and yet some still say it doesn't happen. What do you want to bet that everyone who says it doesn't happen is a modern progressive liberal? Pew Study: Christians Are The World

Old 09-07-2015, 02:23 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
[quote=Haakon;41114110]You can't claim the atheist attempts to remove all signs of Christmas from schools or anything that is even remotely 'public' property isn't hostile or done to harass them.

Actually, it isn't done to harass them. Why should other religions constantly be subjected to Christian symbolism. when their symbols are not there? Since it would not be feasible to put up symbols for all the 1000 or religions in the US, it's easier to take down the Christian symbolism. That is the problem with Christians, when someone wants to follow the constitution or make all religions equal, they cry persecution. Just because a Christmas tree has been up every year at a school doesn't make it fair. They lorded it over all other religions for many years and now when the others want equal footing, it's boo hoo we are being persecuted.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:21 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It seems to me that some people having such boring lives that they need to seek out reasons to feel persecuted. We should feel sorry for them. It's difficult for people who have never had to give a moment's thought to anyone who doesn't think like them to adjust to not being in absolute power.

Signed, the Jewish girl whose house was repeatedly the subject of vandalism simply because we were Jewish

The Founders were wise enough to place the church out of the state`s reach by prohibiting state involvement in church matters or the religious lives of practitioners.

They knew the ink would not yet be dry on the new Constitution before statists would come along hoping to create an all-powerful central government capable of destroying all they had done.

They also knew that it would be people of faith who would oppose the corrupt and unaccountable central government that statists so love.

Today we have a Supreme Court acting on an assumed and unconstitutional power taking action against the people by overturning popular state referendums.

Opposing the Court and the statists who support their illegal actions are people of faith, and as you might expect, statists have some really ugly things to say about the people of faith who oppose the Court`s unconstitutional power grab.

Nothing new here.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:24 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
So yes, they're being forced.
So then you agree with the Muslim flight attendent. Muslims should be allowed to keep their job as flight attendents without actually performing it? .....just because....

Old 09-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Persecuted? I don't know but we are not free to exercise our religion freely as we would choose to do so. I worked on a public government job and when I went to work each day I had to leave my religion at home, which is not natural. I found this difficult many times so much that I went to my pastor and asked his advice as to whether or not I should quit the job.

He basically asked me how it would be in America if all Christian people left government jobs. Then he explained to me how I could be a Christian at work without saying anything. God is love and love is something that can be shown. We can be an example of Christian values without saying anything by being kind to others, giving a full days work for a days pay, etc.

It can be a fine line sometimes to obey government rules but when the government is the one issuing the rules we are under God's protective umbrella in our responsibility of those rules unless they pierce our conscience. Let's just say, I could never work in an abortion clinic if I were a nurse and had to participate in the abortion. I personally don't understand the clerk in Kentucky or the baker's of the cake. Their choice; their decision and their conscience. I see it as a cake and a license. Preachers should not be required to preform marriages that go against the teachings in the Bible though. I am concerned that we are heading to the place where a preacher may have to go to prison because he will not marry a same sex couple.

Maybe it is time when same sex couples can practice a little tolerance and show some love toward Christians. What a novel idea, huh?
I think your preacher was right on target (and I'm the OP here).

I would disagree about your last paragraph about the preacher going to jail though. I think that if a church had the policy that they honor SSM and he refused, he could be FIRED, but not jailed. If not, then no action taken. Kim D was put to jail because she had a public job as an elected official, and ignored a court order. She was in jail (technically) for contempt of court, not "failing to marry gay people". The Muslim flight attendent got fired, not jailed.

But mostly wanted to post a +1 on your preacher.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Can you give us a couple of cites where someone, that matters (not just some random blogger,) who actually stated that Christians in America are being persecuted?

I'd like to see where you're culling your information.
Are you really asking this question? First of all, I (the OP) asked a question and gave some observations, I didn't attempt to "cull" any information. but the answers here should be reason enough (although it took a couple pages for the crazies to come out). But as others have said, why don't you google "Christian Persecution in America" and answer for yourself:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20in%20america

No surprise, the first hit is Hit is Fox news...

Old 09-07-2015, 06:02 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
What we need is a group of hardier Christers instead of the current group of pansies that occupy this country. Saying Happy Holidays is not quite the same as tossing you into a pit of hungry lions. Woosies.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:18 PM

358 posts, read 283,133 times
Christmas has been political incorrect nowadays so yes Christians are being discriminated against and also some even persecuted.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Christmas has been political incorrect nowadays so yes Christians are being discriminated against and also some even persecuted.
How so, and links?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies