Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:01 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
What about the guy who gets a knife held on him and is told to hand over his wallet and cell phone? Wouldn't he be much better off carrying a concealed firearm? What about the woman who gets attacked in a parking garage and someone tries to force her into her car? Why can't she carry a concealed firearm?The only thing we do know is that violence and crime would increase if criminals knew that every potential victim they encounter is unarmed. It's a matter of most criminals want easy targets and your money or stuff. They don't want a physical confrontation or a gun fight. They'd avoid you if they knew there was a chance of being harmed or caught. A shooting spree is an extremely rare event. Tragic, but extremely lightning strike rare.
I have enjoyed some responses from the more addled minded left that question the benefit of the police carrying guns if they can be targeted and assaulted so easily. Who here doesn't think they'd be targeted in far greater numbers if they weren't armed?
This is a thread fail, sorry.
- If you are being held with a knife, how is a gun going to help you unless you are Dirty Harry? You reach for your gun and the robber slashes your throat. A gun is a distance weapon, at close quarter combat many of its advantage is gone. At best you get a few cuts and the robber steals your gun, at worse you're on the ground breathing your last breath.

- Same with the woman being held and forced into her car. By that point, it's too late to draw a concealed weapon. The best strategy is to look for an opportunity to run and scream her lungs off to draw attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It's a matter of most criminals want easy targets and your money or stuff. They don't want a physical confrontation or a gun fight. They'd avoid you if they knew there was a chance of being harmed or caught.
How is that a better idea than just banning ALL guns?? If the criminal wants to rob you, make him do it the old fashion way with a knife or bare hands. You are allowed the same. Wouldn't you stand a much better chance against an attacker with a knife than one with a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:04 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just a week ago, two thugs kicked in the back door of an 85-year-old elderly man in order to victimize him. The man, who would stand no chance against two 34-year-olds, retrieved his gun and shot one of them, and the other ran off.

You'll notice one of the thugs relatives went to the elderly victim's home to confront him for shooting the thug relative.

El Cerrito Homeowner Confronted By Relative Of Burglary Suspect He Shot « CBS San Francisco

Let me guess. The relative's excuse for the perp was "he was a good person, and trying to turn his life around!" Seems that the relative has a death wish as well!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We have open carry in town here. I didn't realize it until we went to a festival downtown and I kept seeing weapons on the belts of some of the people. At first, it seemed a little creepy but then I realized if I wanted to commit a crime, I would choose another town to do it.

Kansas is pretty generous with gun laws which is fine with me.

Someone mentioned using fists or ball bat? I'm 61 years old and a female and if someone comes in, I need an advantage that my fists or ball bat wouldn't give me. I do have a cast iron griddle that if I could surprise the person coming in might be feasible. They come in my house and I have enough warning, a lot of bad stuff is going to happen to them.
that is the whole point of self defense, never stop defending yourself, be it with a gun, knife, ball bat, knitting needles, scissors, cast iron frying pan, or what have you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I guess you missed the part of the video at 2:05 where they say "he doesn't know the other students around him are cops". Essentially, they were all actors playing a role in this play.

Everything about this was set up to "prove" that if you have a gun, it's not going to help you.

Actually, they went a step further and proved that if you have a gun and you're attacked by a trained cop who knows you have that gun and will make sure you are his primary target, your gun won't make a difference.
well it was 20/20 after all. they are antigun and as such are going to create scenarios that make it seem like even having a gun iasnt going to help anyone, so why bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
By the time you realized someone is in the house, went to get your gun, fiddled with the bullets, and got shot from behind because you were making so much noise it was easy for the intruder to find you;

I'd be out of the house and called the cops.

really? you mean you would have your guns sitting around unloaded? probably have you rounds in another drawer to prevent the gun from loading itself and shooting someone without your knowledge or express consent?

those that have firearms usually keep them loaded and fairly handy so they dont have to "fiddle with the bullets". personally not only would have keep the gun loaded, i would also have a few magazines also loaded and ready for action should they be needed.

so again i would not have to "fiddle with the bullets". all i would need to do is click off the safety and be ready for action in less than one second.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM

187 posts, read 270,450 times
Quote:
How is that a better idea than just banning ALL guns?? If the criminal wants to rob you, make him do it the old fashion way with a knife or bare hands. You are allowed the same. Wouldn't you stand a much better chance against an attacker with a knife than one with a gun?
You're under the assumption that a politician signing a piece of paper with the words "gun ban" on it will magically make every firearm disappear right that instant. Even if a 100% ban on firearms would be put in effect, it would be decades before even just the legal weapons were off the street.

I'll stick to my chances with a gun. The criminals here know that anyone and everyone could be walking down the street with a concealed weapon... if they know that no one can legally have a gun, they'll have a lot more courage to come up and rob or attack you.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
- If you are being held with a knife, how is a gun going to help you unless you are Dirty Harry? You reach for your gun and the robber slashes your throat. A gun is a distance weapon, at close quarter combat many of its advantage is gone. At best you get a few cuts and the robber steals your gun, at worse you're on the ground breathing your last breath.

- Same with the woman being held and forced into her car. By that point, it's too late to draw a concealed weapon. The best strategy is to look for an opportunity to run and scream her lungs off to draw attention.

And just how are you going to achieve that? Mass confiscation? Good luck with that. Who is going to enforce it? Sure, let's ban guns, because banning alcohol back in the day, and the current prohibition of marijuana and other drugs has been a smashing success too! Prohibition never works, and in essence creates more criminals! And, your idea would overnight turn law abiding citizens who own guns into criminals! I can tell you for a fact, that I know many folks who would NOT comply! You think there is a problem now? Your solutuion would allow for more bloodshed than what we have now! So...I have an even better suggestion for you. One that I've told others who think that pesky old Constitution is an outdated rag... Move to another country where the government restricts the rights of its citizens to protect themselves, and seeks total submission from its populace!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
You're under the assumption that a politician signing a piece of paper with the words "gun ban" on it will magically make every firearm disappear right that instant. Even if a 100% ban on firearms would be put in effect, it would be decades before even just the legal weapons were off the street.

I'll stick to my chances with a gun. The criminals here know that anyone and everyone could be walking down the street with a concealed weapon... if they know that no one can legally have a gun, they'll have a lot more courage to come up and rob or attack you.

Yep!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
- Same with the woman being held and forced into her car. By that point, it's too late to draw a concealed weapon. The best strategy is to look for an opportunity to run and scream her lungs off to draw attention
Actually, earlier this year when a man with a knife was victimizing a woman in her car at the gas station I go to, she retrieved her gun and put a slug into him. What upset me is that my tax dollars were used for the helicopter that flew him to the hospital.

I'll get a link for you.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:

If firearms mysteriously disappeared over night in magic happy land, we would be having this discussion right now :

Surrender your knife | Save a life

Which pretty much poo poo's on your theory. No firearms but the criminals use the next thing in line. Why don't you spend your effort and time on eliminating criminals ? Aren't they really the cause of all the violence ?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Here we go. This happened two and half months ago.

Woman fights back, shoots robber in Crosby | News - Home

Quote:
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says a woman was sitting in the driver's seat of her vehicle at the Exxon station on FM 2100 before 6 p.m. Friday. Deputies say a male suspect got into the passenger side of her vehicle, pulled a knife and demanded her money and purse.

According to the Sheriff's Office, she kept calm and told him she would get the cash. Instead deputies say she grabbed her concealed carry weapon from her side and shot the suspect in the left shoulder.

Maybe if this were your wife or mother, you may have felt she would have been better off being robbed and possibly raped before she called police, but when I heard her husband on the radio, he was quite happy that his wife wasn't robbed and possibly raped and killed. He seemed to be pretty happy that she used her gun to defend herself.

Do you believe you could convince this woman and her husband that it would have been better that she wasn't armed? BTW, she was on her way to pick up her child from daycare.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
It will drives guns purchasing to the black market and guns will be so expensive most criminals cannot afford them. This iron clad scenario has been proven many times over.

Quote:
Ok, so the criminals in your neck of the woods know that they must bring guns to gun fights. If that makes you feel better, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies