Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 12:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
* There have been 39 people shot in Sydney this year, most related to an ongoing bikie war.
* Conservative estimates say there are more than a quarter-of-a-million illegal firearms in Australia.
* Gun ownership in Australia is back at pre-Port Arthur massacre levels.
* There has been a steady increase in gun-related crimes over the past seven years.

EXACTLY!!

These biker gangs are well funded and they are basically targeting rival gangs.

They are not using their weapons to commit simple robberies are they? If you find yourself being shoot at in Australia, you have pissed off the wrong crowd and the only thing that can safe you is not a gun but the witness protection program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
I feel we need to highlight this epic fail one more time. Pay very close attention to the bold text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
- If you are being held with a knife, how is a gun going to help you unless you are Dirty Harry? You reach for your gun and the robber slashes your throat. A gun is a distance weapon, at close quarter combat many of its advantage is gone. At best you get a few cuts and the robber steals your gun, at worse you're on the ground breathing your last breath.

- Same with the woman being held and forced into her car. By that point, it's too late to draw a concealed weapon. The best strategy is to look for an opportunity to run and scream her lungs off to draw attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here we go. This happened two and half months ago.

Woman fights back, shoots robber in Crosby | News - Home

Quote:
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says a woman was sitting in the driver's seat of her vehicle at the Exxon station on FM 2100 before 6 p.m. Friday. Deputies say a male suspect got into the passenger side of her vehicle, pulled a knife and demanded her money and purse.

According to the Sheriff's Office, she kept calm and told him she would get the cash. Instead deputies say she grabbed her concealed carry weapon from her side and shot the suspect in the left shoulder.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
EXACTLY!!

They are not using their weapons to commit simple robberies are they? If you find yourself being shoot at in Australia, you have pissed off the wrong crowd and the only thing that can safe you is not a gun but the witness protection program.
So what you are saying is that only law abiding people are without guns?

Old 09-09-2015, 01:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If only all solutions were this simple. Don't carry one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
First, use spell check. Second, you should continue to be defenseless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Can , pretty much, call end thread, with this ^^. I totally agree, that if one feels, as the OP does, its highly recommended you DON'T carry a weapon, of any kind. Since one has already rolled over and submitted to a violent attack, as a mindset, what would be the point? There's no reason for a prey animal to have fangs and claws, a coyote will kill and eat it just as easy with as without that equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When confronted by someone that has a weapon or is more physically capable the chances of defending yourself are near zero, any chance better than zero is a win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yep. I agree. Be it a gun, knife, ball bat, your bare hands (yes you can kill someone with your bare hands) whatever.... The only myth being perpetrated here is the the myth that stricter gun laws will prevent criminals from getting them, or prevent criminals from committing violent crimes. OP... thread fail!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The only thing we do know is that violence and crime would increase if criminals knew that every potential victim they encounter is unarmed. It's a matter of most criminals want easy targets and your money or stuff. They don't want a physical confrontation or a gun fight. This is a thread fail, sorry.
There are those of us who possess critical thinking skills ^^^^^

...and then those who do not even bother to try

^^^ she is serious

Using the ops logic, maybe cops shouldn't have guns either:

Keep in mind this idiot is training other cops on proper handling of a weapon (sigh)

Old 09-09-2015, 01:04 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Yup. If you missed it, you can google it.

A gun in Australia cost north of $25,000. If someone can afford that, that person doesn't need to rob anybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
* There have been 39 people shot in Sydney this year, most related to an ongoing bikie war.
* Conservative estimates say there are more than a quarter-of-a-million illegal firearms in Australia.
* Gun ownership in Australia is back at pre-Port Arthur massacre levels.
* There has been a steady increase in gun-related crimes over the past seven years.
Quote:
EXACTLY!!

So then you don't dispute those facts posted above?

Are you then claiming that just about ALL of the 250K+ illegal firearms are in the hands of these gangs?
What about the fact that "Gun ownership in Australia is back at pre Port Arthur massacre levels"?
Or the last line that shows " There has been a steady increase in gun-related crimes over the past seven years".

Are these the results you are holding up as a beacon of how gun control works?

Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I feel we need to highlight this epic fail one more time. Pay very close attention to the bold text.
WTH? This basically backs up what I've been saying:

- She could have just given the cash to the robber and the whole ordeal would have been over. Yes, she would have lost money but she'd have been alive.

- The robber actually GAVE her time to retrieve the purse and pull out the weapon. This is possible because 1) this is a robbery and it appears the robber did not actually wants to kill her. 2) The robber was incredibly incompetent. See below.

- Just GRAB the purse and run away robber!! That's what most robbers would do. Why would a robber allows her to reach into the purse? Unbelievable. And credibly stupid.

- This is demonstrates that if someone does deter an attacker with a gun, it's blind luck. In most situations, the robber would have made away with the purse and the gun inside it.

HCSO: Licensed gun holder shoots would-be robber in northeast Harris County | abc13.com

At no point in the story, did I get the impression that firing the gun is the ONLY solution. This is not a life-or-death situation that many of the gun nuts are referring to. But ok fine, I'll play along - bottom line is, this is a perfect example of why law enforcement says in situation like that it's better to just hand over the cash and stay alive. Yes, it turned out well for her but it easily could have been worse. If she had fumbled the gun or missed, now the robber is in close proximity and might have decided to kill her instead of just robbing her.

Again, not saying this isn't a good ending for the woman; but it does nothing to debunk my point because it doesn't demonstrate that the gun is the ONLY and the SAFEST solution for her to get out of that jam. At best, this is the exception that proves the rule.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:

- She could have just given the cash to the robber and the whole ordeal would have been over. Yes, she would have lost money but she'd have been alive.

- The robber actually GAVE her time to retrieve the purse and pull out the weapon. This is possible because 1) this is a robbery and it appears the robber did not actually wants to kill her. 2) The robber was incredibly incompetent. See below.

- Just GRAB the purse and run away robber!! That's what most robbers would do. Why would a robber allows her to reach into the purse? Unbelievable. And credibly stupid.

- This is demonstrates that if someone does deter an attacker with a gun, it's blind luck. In most situations, the robber would have made away with the purse and the gun inside it.

HCSO: Licensed gun holder shoots would-be robber in northeast Harris County | abc13.com

At no point in the story, did I get the impression that firing the gun is the ONLY solution. This is not

You are blaming the wrong person with your fk'd up logic.

Please, pray tell, how would your ill conceived notions keep the gun out of the thugs hands in the first place?

When, and only when, you can answer this with a viable solution will you have a case. Otherwise, you're only barking at the wind.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Truth is, for most you under attack, you'll be death before you knew what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

If you're not a trained professional and you managed to deter a gunman with a gun, it is merely blink luck.
What is REALLY dangerous are laws that result in armed felons who know with certainty that their victims will be unarmed.

Hate guns? Place a sign in your yard declaring your house a gun-free zone and see what happens.

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:

At no point in the story, did I get the impression that firing the gun is the ONLY solution. This is not

You are seriously bent.

If you can read that article and your take away is that it "basically backs up what [you've] been saying" then I must refrain from further discussion with you, on the grounds that it is absurd and pointless.

MOST robbers would NOT grab the purse and run away, because she was at a gas station with plenty of witnesses. This coward entered her vehicle so he could QUIETLY take her money.

MOST robbers ARE INCOMPETENT. That's why they are robbers and not making an honest living.

That's why I'll take my competent self over an incompetent thug every day of the week.

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
How long does it take a person to open her purse, reach into it, retrieve the gun, aim, and fire??

How long does it take an intruder who is already pointing a knife at her to stab her?

This is not rocket science. If you still don't get it, solicit the help of a friend and play this scenario out.

Show me again. I may have missed it.
Quote:
Do you?

Again, your lack of knowledge on the subject is showing. Why would you pull the firearm out of the purse (if carrying that way) to aim and shoot it ? Just curious.

And I do understand what being prepared means, and I embrace my constitutional right to carry. That is my choice , one I can freely make. Why don't you understand that ? Why do you judge those that don't think the same as you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies